[comp.sys.mac.games] Sim City / IIci

dcw@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (David C. Worenklein) (10/30/90)

I recently went from a Mac+ to a IIci.  I was told by Maxis that Sim City
will not work with 32-bit quickdraw and, since the IIci has 32-bit qd in Rom,
the two will never work together.  But I decided to try anyway.
  I tried to boot up w/ the Sim City key disk and the I had a glorious crash
from the 512k system on the disk.  When I try to boot from system 6.0.5 and
then run Sim City, I get an alert box asking me for the key disk (which I'm
using).  Is this because of my 32-bit quickdraw?  If so (or even if not) is
there any way (eg init) to "fool" sim city into thinking I'm not using 32-bit
quickdraw?  (PS I had my system set on "2 colors")
-thanks
david worenklein

unokirs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Robert S. Unoki) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct29.164830.6595@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, dcw@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (David C. Worenklein) writes:
> I recently went from a Mac+ to a IIci.  I was told by Maxis that Sim City
> will not work with 32-bit quickdraw and, since the IIci has 32-bit qd in Rom,
> the two will never work together...

That sucks!  I am going to order a IIci this week and SimCity is my FAVORITE
game!  Do you have the black and white version? or Supreme?  Would the same
problems be encountered with a black & white monochrome monitor?

Do you have problems with any other games or applications?

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (10/30/90)

David C. Worenklein writes:

> I recently went from a Mac+ to a IIci.  I was told by Maxis that Sim City
> will not work with 32-bit quickdraw and, since the IIci has 32-bit qd in Rom,
> the two will never work together...

That's weird; I have SimCity Supreme (uh, the color version, I don't
know if it had the label "supreme" on the box) and it works just dandy
on my IIci, David.

I have a portrait display which I keep in 16 color mode (though I'm
really just fooling my software; it's sixteen gray scale values!)

						-- Dave Taylor
Intuitive Systems
Mountain View, California

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or   {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor