[comp.sys.mac.games] Good ftp-able game sites

ccastcr@prism.gatech.EDU (Russo, Chris A.) (11/01/90)

   I'm looking around for a good ftp site from which I could get a few
games.  If anyone knows of one or more, let me know.  I have a list
of over a hundred ftp nodes, but it's really a pain to look through them
since I've yet to find a really nice one.

            thanks
-If I get enough response, I'll compile a list.

        Chris Russo

--
Russo, Chris A.
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!ccastcr

mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/01/90)

In article <16174@hydra.gatech.EDU>, ccastcr@prism.gatech.EDU (Russo, Chris A.) writes:
>    I'm looking around for a good ftp site from which I could get a few
> games.  If anyone knows of one or more, let me know.  I have a list
> of over a hundred ftp nodes, but it's really a pain to look through them
> since I've yet to find a really nice one.
>
>             thanks

ftp sumex-aim.stanford.edu is where I always check.  The rest seem to be more
or less a subset of sumex.

BTW, how does one post or submit for postal there?  They have a couple of my
games there, but dated versions.  Do I just wait and hope someone with the
latest versions of my games u/l them?

:======:****************************************************************
: ==== :*                  **  And watching the stars go on at night, **
:  === :*   Soft Dorothy   **  I'd like to see just one of them die.. **
:  ==  :*                  *****************************************jc**
:.=....:****************************************************************

252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) (11/02/90)

>ftp sumex-aim.stanford.edu is where I always check.  The rest seem to be more
>or less a subset of sumex.
>
>BTW, how does one post or submit for postal there?  They have a couple of my
>games there, but dated versions.  Do I just wait and hope someone with the
>latest versions of my games u/l them?

"All" you have to do is send them a binhex of whatever you want to upload
through email.  You should also include a somewhat detailed summary (about
a screenful seems good to me) before the familiar line (which I can't remember
right now...) that starts the binhex file.  I think their email address is
info-mac@sumex-aim.stanford.edu, but you should ftp there and read everything
in the /info-mac/help directory to be sure.  Unfortunately, it takes them a very
long time to get around to posting it, almost 2 months!

The only other mac ftp site worth mentioning is rascal.ics.utexas.edu.  They
are usually as current (if not more) than sumex-aim these days, plus if you
send them binhex'ed uploads it doesn't take as long, about 2 weeks.

 * Mike Gleason                                      252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu
 * "Don't you f*ckin' look at me!" -- D. Hopper       cosc006@unlcdc2.unl.edu

francis@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) (11/03/90)

In article <1990Nov01.201845.23625@hoss.unl.edu> 252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) writes:
>[wrt the turnaround time at sumex]...  Unfortunately, it takes them a very
>long time to get around to posting it, almost 2 months!

My understanding is that they have difficulty making room for *new*
items at the moment.  I believe that if the original poster (the guy
from "Soft Dorothy") were to make it clear in his submissions that
this is to *replace* an existing item, it would get in much more
quickly.

Of course, it nevers hurts to send it to the rascal site (as well as
c.b.m).
--
R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu