[comp.sys.mac.games] Wargames on the Mac?

hirai@cs.swarthmore.edu (Eiji Hirai) (10/05/90)

Do any of you wargaming folk have any recommendations or non-recommendations
for wargames on the Macintosh?

I've played Ancient Art of War and am currently looking at the following
titles:

Ancient Art of War at Sea	(Broderbund)
Halls of Montezuma		(Strategic Studies Group)
American Civil War Vol. 2	(Strategic Studies Group)
Panzer Battles			(Electronic Arts)
Patton vs. Rommel		(Electronic Arts)

Are they any I should avoid?  I tried in vain to look for a review of Panzer
Battles and Civil War.  I wonder what these are like...  If you're the
wargaming type, would you buy any of these?  Would you shy away from any of
these?  Please tell me!  Halp!

--
Eiji Hirai @ Mathematics Dept., Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA 19081-1397
hirai@cs.swarthmore.edu | hirai@swarthmr.bitnet | uunet!hirai%cs.swarthmore.edu

dilvish@anasaz.UUCP (Dilvish the Damned) (10/05/90)

In article <YP9QLW@cs.swarthmore.edu> hirai@cs.swarthmore.edu (Eiji Hirai) writes:
>I've played Ancient Art of War and am currently looking at the following
>titles:
>
>Ancient Art of War at Sea	(Broderbund)
>Halls of Montezuma		(Strategic Studies Group)
>American Civil War Vol. 2	(Strategic Studies Group)
>Panzer Battles			(Electronic Arts)
>Patton vs. Rommel		(Electronic Arts)
>
>Are they any I should avoid?  I tried in vain to look for a review of Panzer
>Battles and Civil War.  I wonder what these are like...  If you're the
>wargaming type, would you buy any of these?  Would you shy away from any of
>these?  Please tell me!  Halp!

I would suggest trying them out for yourself at a decent software store.
Egghead software is one great company which will let you try any game before
buying it.  They also have a non-conditional return policy.  Try them out
and see which ones you like.

jbb@mvaxcs1.cse.nau.edu (Jon Bonnell) (10/05/90)

The only other wargame for the Mac I can think of is Strategic
Conquest (don't know the company).  Its a real favorite in the
computer lab I work at.

--
Jon Bonnell
jbb@mvaxcs1.cse.nau.edu

Disclaimer :NAU has no opinion and I have mine...

sharp@cs-sun-fsc.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) (10/05/90)

In article <YP9QLW@cs.swarthmore.edu> hirai@cs.swarthmore.edu (Eiji Hirai) writes:
>Do any of you wargaming folk have any recommendations or non-recommendations
>for wargames on the Macintosh?

>Ancient Art of War at Sea	(Broderbund)

Kind of an arcade/strategy fusion. Just like Ancient art of war

>Halls of Montezuma		(Strategic Studies Group)
>Panzer Battles			(Electronic Arts)

Both of these are by SSG. They use the same program, but the scenarios
vary. One follows the marines from Mexico to Hue. The other is battles
on the Russian Front.

I am a boardgamer from way back, and find the system challenging. It
is a Corps based level, so you do not have individual unit control,
you issue orders to groups of 3-4 units. They determine how to carry
out the orders. I like it, some people do not.

If you buy HOM or PB, subscribe to the Run5 magazine. It has extra
scenarios every issue.

>American Civil War Vol. 2	(Strategic Studies Group)

I have not seen the Mac version, but the Apple version is great ! Very
challenging game that can realistically reflect the difficulties of
command on a pre-radio battlefield. Same comment as above for the Run5
magazine.

>Patton vs. Rommel		(Electronic Arts)

I have this one. It is also quite good. You control individual units,
though they are BIG units. Unfortunately, there is only one scenario,
so it get booring after a while. But a long while.

	maurice

--
Maurice Sharp MSc. Student (403) 220 7690
University of Calgary Computer Science Department

west@turing.toronto.edu (Tom West) (10/09/90)

>Patton vs. Rommel		(Electronic Arts)

  This is a fairly fun wargame.  In expert mode it can be quite a challenge.
Unfortunately, given the unchanging start, one can develop strategies that
will beat the computer quite consistently.  Still, it took me about 10-15
games before I won consistently, more playings than many paper wargames
get.

  One should not that realism is not its highest attribute.  However, it "feels"
fairly realistic (at least to me) so unless you are aquainted with the actual
battle, you won't know the difference.

			Tom West

masat-o@ascii.co.jp (Masatoshi Oue) (10/31/90)

		:
   |>Halls of Montezuma		(Strategic Studies Group)
   |>Panzer Battles			(Electronic Arts)
 		:
   |>American Civil War Vol. 2	(Strategic Studies Group)
 		:
   |>Patton vs. Rommel		(Electronic Arts)

Are there more Wargames on the Mac?
Please tell me more information about Wargames on the Mac?
Thanks in advance.

--

      *     Oue, Masatoshi (e-mail: masat-o@ascii.co.jp)     *
      *     Techwrite, Publishing Division @ ASCII Corp.     *

sharp@cs-sun-fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) (11/04/90)

In article <MASAT-O.90Oct31185050@pbguru.ascii.co.jp> masat-o@ascii.co.jp (Masatoshi Oue) writes:
>   |>Ancient Art of War at Sea	(Broderbund)
	Not what I would consider a 'board like' war game. More of an
arcade style strategy game.

>   |>Halls of Montezuma		(Strategic Studies Group)
>   |>Panzer Battles			(Electronic Arts)
	These are both put out by Strategic Studies Group. HOM is the
history of the Marine Corps from Mexico City to Hue. PB is battles on
the Russian front in WWII.

	These are the wargames I play the most. They are different
from board games, you do not have control of individual units. You are
a Corps level commander. You can issue orders to groups of up to 4
units, they will move to best carry out the orders. I find this much
more challenging than moving each unit.

	The game includes off board support (Long range artil., air
strikes, ..), supply, morale, ... All in all, quite complete.
Including a scenario editor for units, maps, counters...

>   |>American Civil War Vol. 2	(Strategic Studies Group)

	I have seen the Apple II version of this game. It is very
good. It simulates the real problem of a pre-radio battlefield.
Excellent game, unfortunately the latest estimates are January for
release, sigh !

>   |>Patton vs. Rommel		(Electronic Arts)

	A fairly good war game. The biggest drawback is that you are
stuck with one map and one basic scenario. There is provision for
editing unit composition, but that is it. I have it, and I play it,
but it is one I get bored with quickly.

>Are there more Wargames on the Mac?

	Not to my knowledge (at least no good ones yet).