[comp.sys.mac.games] IIsi, SoundMaster 1.6, & Solorian II ---> BUG!

deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ben Haller) (11/04/90)

  Hallo, all.  In message <16261@hydra.gatech.EDU>,
ccocswr@prism.gatech.EDU (Winston Rast  (Micro- coop)) writes:

> I think I have discovered a bug.  I have a Mac IIsi 2/40 with System
> 6.0.7 (of course) and...
> ...suddenly Solarian DOES NOT work!  Can anyone explain what the problem
> here could be???

Yeah, I think so.  System 6.0.7 has a broken Sound Manager.  That's all,
folks.  I've heard from other people about this, too.  Apparently System
6.0.7 has the "System 7.0 Sound Manager", and it's a wee bit buggy.  Not
that the other Sound Manager versions are bug free, of course...my
goodness, no.  But 6.0.7 is worse.
  Recommendation?  Don't use sound. :->  Upgrade to 7.0 the second it's
out (assuming Apple isn't serious about that alleged Sound Manager *really*
being _the_ System 7.0 Sound Manager...).  I dunno.

-Ben Haller (deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu)
"...a U.S. District Court jury in San Francisco found Aguilar guilty of
telling an in-law that he was the subject of an FBI wiretap."
   - S.F. Chronicle 11/2/90 pg. A26 Col. 1
What gives?  Should I invest in swastikas, or what?

mdm@icefloe.dartmouth.edu (Michael McDaniel) (11/05/90)

I have a Mac IIsi 2/40.  System 6.0.7 seems to take more space than the older systems did.  If I turn off all my inits, Solarian will run (version 1.03 ONLY).  I upgraded to 5 megs and Solarian doesn't even blink at the inits.  Solarian does run on the si under 6.0.7, though.

deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ben Haller) writes:
>  Hallo, all.  In message <16261@hydra.gatech.EDU>,
>ccocswr@prism.gatech.EDU (Winston Rast  (Micro- coop)) writes:

>> I think I have discovered a bug.  I have a Mac IIsi 2/40 with System
>> 6.0.7 (of course) and...
>> ...suddenly Solarian DOES NOT work!  Can anyone explain what the problem
>> here could be???

>Yeah, I think so.  System 6.0.7 has a broken Sound Manager.  That's all,
>folks.  I've heard from other people about this, too.  Apparently System
>6.0.7 has the "System 7.0 Sound Manager", and it's a wee bit buggy.  Not
>that the other Sound Manager versions are bug free, of course...my
>goodness, no.  But 6.0.7 is worse.
>  Recommendation?  Don't use sound. :->  Upgrade to 7.0 the second it's
>out (assuming Apple isn't serious about that alleged Sound Manager *really*
>being _the_ System 7.0 Sound Manager...).  I dunno.

inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
--
Michael McDaniel
mdm@dartmouth.edu

mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/05/90)

In article <16261@hydra.gatech.EDU>, ccocswr@prism.gatech.EDU (Winston Rast  (Micro- coop)) writes:
> (of course) and for some reason or other I have to run SoundMaster ahead of
> all my other inits when using InitPicker.  In order, my inits after InitPicker
> are:  SoundMaster,Magic Menu,NowMenus,OnCue,QuicKeys 2,Scroll 2 2.0,Suitcase II,and SuperClock.  If I put Soundmaster in order with the others, I get the "X"
--stuff deleted--

> Winston Rast

I don't want to waste bandwidth on a topic-without-resolve, but, is it just me
and my lowly Mac Plus without harddrive, or why are INIT's so popular?  Maybe
I'm biased because I write games, don't use INIT's on my system, and then
receive mail from people who are having INIT conflicts with my games.  I
wouldn't want to offend anyone, but, personally, if an INIT conflicted with
just ONE of the programs I liked to run, the INIT would have to go, not the
program.  My pet peeve?  MenuClock.  How do you write software that hides the
menu bar when MenuClock is going to write up in the corner of the screen
anyway?  (one answer-Don't call GNE.)
One person sent me a screen dump of their system folder - perhaps 30 INIT's
(some I've never even heard of:)).  Someone ought to post something on INIT
frugality.
Sorry, I'm not griping really.  Just thought I might get some helpful input on
this.  This is probably the wrong board for this.

: ==== :*                  **  And watching the stars go on at night, **
:  === :*   Soft Dorothy   **  I'd like to see just one of them die.. **