[comp.sys.mac.games] Might & Magic II

west@turing.toronto.edu (Tom West) (07/03/90)

  No major bugs so far.  It seems this release is a lot more solid than the
first release of MMI.  My only real quibble with the user interface is that
a lot of the time, one can use letter keys to perform actions, but some times
one must use Command-letter keys.  The distinction seems fairly arbitrary.
While perhaps un-mac like to have a single keystroke cause an action to occur
(i.e. typing 'A' instead of Command-A), it doesn't detract from the user ease
of use.

  Also, auto-mapping is kind of neat.

  I do have a question.  There are a number of monsters that appear immune to
weaponry.  (Dancing Bones, etc.)  Is there any way to kill them in magic-dead
zones where you can't use Turn Undead or mage spells to blow them away?
Seems a little unfair to me.

						Tom West

martin@csc.ti.com (Steven Martin) (07/05/90)

In article <1990Jul3.111425.9449@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> west@turing.toronto.edu (Tom West) writes:

>  I do have a question.  There are a number of monsters that appear immune to
>weaponry.  (Dancing Bones, etc.)  Is there any way to kill them in magic-dead
>zones where you can't use Turn Undead or mage spells to blow them away?
>Seems a little unfair to me.

I've found that one of my characters can use weapons against that type
of monster (and can't against some others).  I suspect it has to do
with alignment.  Do you know how to check on a character's alignment?
I forgot what they were when I created them.

--
Steve Martin            USENET: {ctvax,im4u,texsun,rice}!ti-csl!martin
The opinions in this    ARPANET: SMARTIN@CSC.TI.COM  COMPUSERVE: 72727,1471

rodneys@Apple.COM (Rodney Somerstein) (07/06/90)

In article <1990Jul3.111425.9449@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> west@turing.toronto.edu (Tom West) writes:

>  I do have a question.  There are a number of monsters that appear immune to
>weaponry.  (Dancing Bones, etc.)  Is there any way to kill them in magic-dead
>zones where you can't use Turn Undead or mage spells to blow them away?
>Seems a little unfair to me.

Those monsters aren't actually immune to weaponry, it just seems that way at
first.  It took me awhile to realize it, but if you keep trying to hit them,
you will be able to eventually.  They are just much harder to hit than the
previous monsters that you ran into.  After you gain another couple of levels
they won't be any big deal.

-Rodney

Rodney Somerstein
rodneys@apple.com
CIS: 73167,2165
AppleLink: SOMERSTEIN1

Kevin.Hill@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Kevin Hill) (07/08/90)

  I think that you have to have a weapon that is sufficiently plus.  That is something like a harsh hammer +3.  I have a barbarian level 9, with that weapona and he seems to hit a lot for a lot of damage against most creatures that are hard to hit.  I also have identify monster'd a lot of monsters and that helps to tell who has what.  If anyone is interested in that list, I'll send it to you.

 Also, if you have any hints for me, send them right away!

--
Kevin Hill - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!sun!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Kevin.Hill

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (07/09/90)

Today, I went out and purchased a copy of Might and Magic II.  The game
comes packaged in two disk, a Program disk and a Data disk.  Both were
shipped so they are write enabled.  After making them write protected, I
first inserted the program disk.  Gatekeeper/Gatekeeper Aid advised me that
the Program disk was infected with the WDEF A virus, and ejected the disk.
I then un- write protected the disk and reinserted it, at which point
Gatekeeper removed the WDEF virus from the Program disk's desktop file.

After copying over files from both disks, I attempted to start M&M II from
my hard disk, but I immediately got a -199 error (resource map inconsistent
with operation).  Further examination of the file by Resedit yeilded the
same result.  MacNosy was unable to find any CODE resources in the 'Might
and Magic (R) II' file.  The files 'MM2 Data' and 'Master Roster' appears to
be okay.

Configuration:
	Mac II, 5 Mb RAM, 170 Mb quantum drive, Eham 19' mono screen (main),
	Applecolor 13' (8-bit color mode), System Software 6.0.5.  Gatekeeper
	and Gatekeeper Aid both at version 1.1.1.

*** QUESTIONS ***

1.  Does anyone know what's going on?  These errors occur with and without
    Multifinder, extraneous inits, 32-bit QD, Macsbugs, etc.

2.  Can someone else confirm the existence (or lack of) of the WDEF A virus
    being on the distribution's Program disk?

3.  In my package, the registration card was titled 'Might and Magic', not
    'Might and Magic II'.  Is this an error on New World Computing's part,
    or is this normal?

4.  M&M II owners (especially those with Mac II's) please tell me about your
    experiences.

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow          |
| US Mail:   Apt 11, 40 Mt. Pleasant Rd, Mt. Pleasant, NY 12457             |
| Phone:     Work: 1-914-385-6234,  Home: 1-914-688-5481                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (07/10/90)

In article <10514@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu I
wrote of a horror story with Might and Magic II, where the Program disk was
infected by the WDEF A virus, and the application wouldn't run (it had a
-199 error).

After speaking with New World Computing, I discovered that their disk
duplicators had made a mistake with a batch of disks.  This is apparently
the cause of the -199 error.

Furthermore, since my package lacked the yellow slip for upgrading to a
color version, we suspected that the perhaps someone had previously bought
my package, and returned it upon discovering that it didn't work on their
system.  Since New World Computing assures me that their master disks didn't
contain the WDEF A virus, it would appear that the virus must have been from
whoever had previously purchased my copy.

In the meantime, New World Computing will ship me a new copy of the master
disks as soon as they receive my master disk and warrenty card.  And yes,
the registration card for M&M II is only suppose to say 'Might & Magic'.

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\

cej@ll1a.ATT.COM (C.E.T.L. Jones) (07/11/90)

In article <10514@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> (Christopher Chow) writes:

>Today, I went out and purchased a copy of Might and Magic II.
[...]
>Gatekeeper/Gatekeeper Aid advised me that the Program disk was
>infected with the WDEF A virus [...] Gatekeeper removed the WDEF virus
>from the Program disk's desktop file.
>
>[...] I attempted to start M&M II from my hard disk, but I immediately
>got a -199 error (resource map inconsistent with operation).  Further
>examination of the file by Resedit yeilded the same result.  MacNosy
>was unable to find any CODE resources in the 'Might and Magic (R) II'
>file.

>1.  Does anyone know what's going on?

	Virus or not, it sure sounds like you got a bad disk there.

	BTW, If I found a program disk that had any sign of a virus I'd
either take it back to the store, or "fix" a copy.  [Of course, use a
bit copier - don't drag copy, that requires mounting the floppy, and
these days...]  You may find that you have a harder time
returning/replacing an original disk that you "disinfected".

>2.  Can someone else confirm the existence (or lack of) of the WDEF A virus
>    being on the distribution's Program disk?

	My copy was clean (per Disinfectant).

>3.  In my package, the registration card was titled 'Might and Magic', not
>    'Might and Magic II'.

	Same here.  So at least your registration card is okay. ;-/

>4.  M&M II owners (especially those with Mac II's) please tell me about your
>    experiences.

	Mine's a Mac II with 5Mb and "old" Mac II ROMs, System 6.0.4,
and a ton of inits & cdevs.  No troubles at all.
--
                     Charles Evan Thomas Llewellyn Jones
       ...att!ll1a!cej       [Just me, not AT&T]        cej@ll1a.att.com

J.Holley@massey.ac.nz (John Holley) (09/11/90)

Just a quick question. I had forgotten about going to the Lords
in the castles and getting quests. So I've started and the second
quest I got from the Lord in castle Hillstone (not sure about the
name but it's the castle in C1) was for a power cudgel. Now I don't
have any real need to complete the quest as the returns are minimal
to say the least, but I would like to finish it for my own peace of
mind. So where do I find a Power Cudgel? (I've been to all the
blacksmiths but I haven't found any selling one).

John A. Holley                  | J.Holley@massey.ac.nz         : Internet
School of Information Sciences  | J.Holley@nz.ac.massey         : Janet
Massey University               | +64 63 505611                 : Fax
Palmerston North                | +64 63 69099 ext 8616         : Vox
New Zealand                     |  Disclaimer : Sorry! My brain hurts!

J.Holley@massey.ac.nz (John Holley) (10/17/90)

Some help please! I'm right through to the end of the game and

Spoiler Alert

I'm in the control room trying to solve the cryptogram. I've worked out the
text (even though I'm not from the US ;-) ) and I'm now trying to work out
what eight characters I should be entering.

Any ideas/hints?

Thanx

John A. Holley                  | J.Holley@massey.ac.nz         : Internet
School of Information Sciences  | J.Holley@nz.ac.massey         : Janet
Massey University               | +64 63 505611                 : Fax
Palmerston North                | +64 63 69099 ext 8616         : Vox
New Zealand                     |  Disclaimer : Sorry! My brain hurts!

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (11/05/90)

Either Might & Magic II has some interesting bugs or some features that I
do not understand at all.  I just completed the quest for Clerics (reuniting
Corak's Soul with his body), taking 4 clerics and 4 robbers along.  (The
robbers had already been on a few other quests and had received their
5,000,000 experience points.)  Also, all 8 of the characters had been taken
to the circus till their statistics were 100 (more with various items).

When I went to the jurors and then trained the clerics in Atlantium, all 4
of the clerics now have approximately 33,000 hit points (no, that's not a
typo).  This did not happen to any of the other character classes, and it
didn't happen to a friend of mine's clerics.  Is this just a bug, or is there
some deep dark secret to this?  At least, I now can survive the Cuisinarts!
:) :) :).

Also, 3 of the clerics at various points in the game have suddenly had
around 16,000 gems in their posession, total around 48,000.  I don't know
what caused that either, though I'm not complaining.  By the way, I was
using the Black & White version when this happened, though I have the color
version as well.

I also have a couple of other questions, not related to possible bugs.

1)  How do you kill Lord Shalwend in the time of Air?  Magic rarely works
against him, most of my characters can't even touch him (statistics all
over 100, though it didn't work when they were around 20 either), and he
eradicates with a single touch (even the 33,000 HP clerics).  Even if I
don't have to kill him, it's just the principle of the thing. :)

2)  Why does Turn Undead always fail now that I have the Holy Word spell?
My clerics (or my paladins, for that matter) can no longer "Turn Undead"
even the easiest undead monsters.  What's worse is that once "Turn Undead"
has been cast, Holy Word never works in that battle.

3)  Also, just out of curiosity, where is the hireling H.K. Phooey?  He's
not where the cluebook says he's supposed to be.  It's not like I need him
or anything, I'm just curious.

If any of you have answers to any of the above, I would appreciate knowing
them!

Thanks,

Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!oiscola!dbarnhar
--
Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!oiscola!dbarnhar

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (11/06/90)

In article <314@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM> dbarnhar@oiscola.UUCP
(David C. Barnhart II) writes:

(possible spoilers)

>Either Might & Magic II has some interesting bugs or some features that I
>do not understand at all.  I just completed the quest for Clerics (reuniting
>Corak's Soul with his body), taking 4 clerics and 4 robbers along.  (The
>robbers had already been on a few other quests and had received their
>5,000,000 experience points.)  Also, all 8 of the characters had been taken
>to the circus till their statistics were 100 (more with various items).
>
>When I went to the jurors and then trained the clerics in Atlantium, all 4
>of the clerics now have approximately 33,000 hit points (no, that's not a
>typo).  This did not happen to any of the other character classes, and it
>didn't happen to a friend of mine's clerics.  Is this just a bug, or is there
>some deep dark secret to this?  At least, I now can survive the Cuisinarts!
>:) :) :).

I had trouble with this same sort of thing.  I won't go into specifics
because you may not have completed the quests I did.  I haven't
finished playing the game yet, but here is my understanding of the
situation: You must do each quest with people who have not yet
completed ANY quest.  That is, none of the robbers that you take with
you to Corak's cave can have already earned their 5 million pts.
So if all your robbers have already earned their rewards, you either
have to create another robber, or you have to just try to kick the
door down in the cave.

>Also, 3 of the clerics at various points in the game have suddenly had
>around 16,000 gems in their posession, total around 48,000.  I don't know
>what caused that either, though I'm not complaining.  By the way, I was
>using the Black & White version when this happened, though I have the color
>version as well.

I'm playing on a PC, but I don't think that matters here.  The gems
might have been found without you even noticing them.  There is a
spot in B-4 where you get gems just by walking where they are, for
example.

>I also have a couple of other questions, not related to possible bugs.
>
>1)  How do you kill Lord Shalwend in the time of Air?  Magic rarely works
>against him, most of my characters can't even touch him (statistics all
>over 100, though it didn't work when they were around 20 either), and he
>eradicates with a single touch (even the 33,000 HP clerics).  Even if I
>don't have to kill him, it's just the principle of the thing. :)

I only fought him once--and ran.  Can't help you here!

>2)  Why does Turn Undead always fail now that I have the Holy Word spell?
>My clerics (or my paladins, for that matter) can no longer "Turn Undead"
>even the easiest undead monsters.  What's worse is that once "Turn Undead"
>has been cast, Holy Word never works in that battle.

I have had this same problem, and I do NOT yet have the Holy Word spell
so I don't think that's the problem.  I'm afraid I can't answer this
one either, but at least I can sympathize.  Anybody know?

>3)  Also, just out of curiosity, where is the hireling H.K. Phooey?  He's
>not where the cluebook says he's supposed to be.  It's not like I need him
>or anything, I'm just curious.

Go to Sandsobar, eat the special meal called "Gourmet Dinner  B Wyrm
Chop Suey" and he'll turn up.

Please note that the tip you get in this tavern is misprogrammed.
Instead of "The Gourmet  A3 7,6" it should be "The Gourmet  A3 7,7."

S. "Stevie" Smith \  +  /
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC