[comp.sys.mac.games] Need recommendations for mail order

so@duke.cs.duke.edu (Steve Owen) (11/02/90)

Which mail-order company is the best for buying games?  I have heard
of one called Egghead (or something like that), but have never seen an
ad for it in MacUser or MacWorld.  Can someone give me a 800 number
for it and any other "good" companies.  My main criteria for
determining "good" is (1.) price and (2.) selection.

Thanks,
Steve

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
                              Steve Owen
ARPA:	so@cs.duke.edu			Department of Computer Science
CSNET:	so@duke				Duke University
UUCP:	{mcnc,decvax}!duke!so		Durham, NC 27706 USA
"It pays to be obvious, especially if you have a reputation for subtlety."
- Isaac Asimov
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

gwowen@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (George Owen) (11/02/90)

In article <657479631@cricket.cs.duke.edu> so@duke.cs.duke.edu (Steve Owen) writes:

>Which mail-order company is the best for buying games?  I have heard
>of one called Egghead (or something like that), but have never seen an
>-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

   ... I've got stuff from both Egg-Head & Mac Connection & both have
 been ok as far as price & shipping goes ( they even get things up here
 to The Great White North pretty fast ! )

    - G -

*                 George Owen (gwowen@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca)               *
* University of Toronto  -  Computing Services  -  Toronto , Canada       *

ehall@ux.acs.umn.edu (Kevin Hausen) (11/02/90)

Egghead Software is a nation-wide software dealer, similart to Software, ETC.
I think that their numbers would be in your local phone book under computer-
software.

I recommend MacConnection (1-800-334-4444) or MacWarehouse (1-800-255-6227).
They have a realtively good selection and their prices are the lowest that I
can find.  They have overnight delivery standard (for $3), and can even get
it to you the next day if you order by 2 or 3 AM EST.  I have never had any
problems with the software that I get from them or anything else (memory,
disks, luggage, etc).

Good Luck.

-----------------------------
-Kevin Hansen----------------
-Minnesota Twin Family Study-
-University of Minnesota-----
-ehall@ux.acs.umn.edu--------
-----------------------------

kyt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Kok Yong Tan) (11/07/90)

In article <2621@ux.acs.umn.edu> ehall@ux.acs.umn.edu (Kevin Hausen) writes:
> {stuff deleted}
>I recommend MacConnection (1-800-334-4444) or MacWarehouse (1-800-255-6227).
     	       	    	      	   	       ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Whatever you do, don't touch MacWarehouse with a ten foot pole.  It's all very
well if your shipment arrives defect-free.  However, getting a replacement item
from them is worse than pulling teeth and their staff will tell you anything to
get you off the phone.  I ordered a SCSI cable that was defective and they
promised to send me a replacement "immediately upon receiving the defective
cable."  My protestations that I needed the cable immediately fell on deaf
ears.  It has been five BUSINESS days since I ordered the cable.  I called them
and the new story is that I get a replacement "when they finish processing it"
(however long this will take, they couldn't tell me).

This is a mere $25 item and they had my credit card number.  If I didn't return
the defective cable to them, they could always charge my card again.  But NOOO,
they couldn't do such a thing.  When I ordered 4th Dimension from MacConnection
and the box arrived without the 4D diskettes (a packaging error by ACIUS),
MacConnection immediately sent me a new package on condition that I send the
defective item back to them and this was a bigger ticket item at $469.  I was
up and running in three BUSINESS days from the time of my order.

So, since both companies have similar prices, I'd suggest that everyone stay
away from MacWarehouse and patronise MacConnection instead.  They're much more
professional an outfit.

DISCLAIMER:  I AM JUST A SATISFIED CUSTOMER OF MACCONNECTION, NOTHING MORE.

Kok-Yong Tan can be reached at:      | "Oscularis fundamentum!"
InterNet: kyt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu |	     	       - Annoyed Latin scholar
CompuServe: 75046,256                |
America Online: lallang              |

duga@merlin.cvs.rochester.edu (Brady Duga) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov6.230519.10921@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> kyt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Kok Yong Tan) writes:
>In article <2621@ux.acs.umn.edu> ehall@ux.acs.umn.edu (Kevin Hausen) writes:
>> {stuff deleted}
>>I recommend MacConnection (1-800-334-4444) or MacWarehouse (1-800-255-6227).
>     	       	    	      	   	       ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Whatever you do, don't touch MacWarehouse with a ten foot pole.  It's all very
>well if your shipment arrives defect-free.  However, getting a replacement item
>from them is worse than pulling teeth and their staff will tell you anything to
>get you off the phone.  I ordered a SCSI cable that was defective and they

Hmm... I had a problem with some software MacWarehouse sent me. It had to be
returned for a replacement. When I talked to the service person on the phone,
they said I would get the replacement in 2 days, but it ended up taking a
week. But, they did replace it within a day of their processing the
replacement. When the airborne person came by to pick it up, she said
that she see's returns very frequently from MacWarehouse (she even knew
their zip code).

Apperently what the service person didn't tell me was that you can return an
item for credit, and repurchase the replacement. That way, you can get the
replacement as early as the next day.

--Brady