[comp.sys.mac.games] Space game

esht_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Eran) (11/07/90)

I am interested in purchasing a game similar to Elite for the
apple 2.  I have heard of StarFlight and Space Rogue but do
not know much about them.  What is the best mac elite like game?

thanks,
eran

--

  |\/\/\/|       ____________________________________________
  |      |      /                                            |

mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/07/90)

In article <10256@ur-cc.UUCP>, esht_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Eran) writes:
> I am interested in purchasing a game similar to Elite for the
> apple 2.  I have heard of StarFlight and Space Rogue but do
> not know much about them.  What is the best mac elite like game?
>
> thanks,
> eran

Elite was a fantastic game, wasn't it.  I also have been looking for the
Mac-Elite game.  I haven't found it.  The descriptions of StarFlight seem to
suggest more of an "adventure" style game that lacks the good ol' shoot-'em up
fun of Elite.  Space Rogue probably comes the closest.  I bought it last
May and had (have) mixed feelings about it.  Clearly it is a port.
Nonetheless, stomaching that, I found myself saying over and over, "Wow, what a
lot of work must have gone into this game ... too bad he didn't put more work
into X aspect of the game."  Perhaps like yourself, I wanted Elite.  Space
Rogue is not Elite.  Someone who enjoys the game more than I might argue that
it's MORE than Elite.  You can wander around the space stations, talk to
aliens, there's even an arcade game WITHIN Space Rogue (a game within a game)
that you can play when you're at the space stations.
Shortcomings?
There's this horrible "worm hole" type of travel you have to endure in order to
travel from one area of the galaxy to the other.  It's difficult, not too
exciting, and it ain't hyperspace.
You cannot modify your ship to the extent you could in Elite.  There are only a
few expensive weapons to shoot for, etc.  In Elite your ship WAS your
character.  The ship WAS the game.  Not so in Space Rogue.
Remember shooting at the space stations in Elite and the badass police ships
coming out after you?  Doesn't happen in Space Rogue.  Further, you don't see
the ship traffic coming and going from the stations when you dock.

Well, enough.  A friend of mine tried Space Rogue out and enjoyed it.  Me?  I'm
still looking for Elite on the Mac.

:======:****************************************************************
: ==== :*                  **  And watching the stars go on at night, **
:  === :*   Soft Dorothy   **  I'd like to see just one of them die.. **
:  ==  :*                  *****************************************jc**
:.=....:****************************************************************

denden@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dennis H Chang) (11/07/90)

Space Rogue is an excellent game by Sierra.  It plays like an ultima game
in space.  The flight is Elite-like and everything done nicely...there's even
color.  It's a combination explore (ala ultima) and find clues to soup up
your ship and save the universe.  The game is very hard to stop playing...
almost because it's not too hard, but keeps leading you on.  If there's
any flaw, it might be that it's a little bit too easy.  In any case, i'm a
old gamer, and even tho it might be a little easy, it was a great time getting
to the win.  Highly recommended!!

ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU  <--borrowing a friends account
                               mail this account
Philip Wong

conty@cbnewsl.att.com (enrique.conty) (11/08/90)

In article <10256@ur-cc.UUCP>, esht_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Eran) writes:
> I am interested in purchasing a game similar to Elite for the
> apple 2.  I have heard of StarFlight and Space Rogue but do
> not know much about them.  What is the best mac elite like game?

Space Rogue, hands down.  And it uses Mac-quality graphics instead of
ported EGA like MicroMagic used on StarFlight.

--

			    E n r i q u e  C o n t y
			      jester@ihlpl.att.com