[comp.sys.mac.games] What happened to OIDS?

mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu (Michael A. Kelly) (11/09/90)

Does anyone know whatever happened to OIDS?  I remember playing with the
demo version some time ago, which said that the real version would be
available 'soon'.  Is it out yet?

Thanks,

Mike.
--
Michael A. Kelly                 | "Fish heads, fish heads,
Internet: mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu  |  Roly-poly fish heads,

denden@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dennis H Chang) (11/10/90)

The commercial Oids is either out or will come out soon.  The game
is pretty nice.  The color is shart and the ship looks good.  Best
of all, it's Mac IIci compatible.  I never tried the original Oids
so can't compare.  It looks like it will be shareware...ie disable
ware.  You can't save game or go to higher levels until you pay
the fee.  Look for it...it should be out any time now.

ins_apw@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu
Philip Wong
borrowing a friend's account

jholt@adobe.COM (Joe Holt) (11/10/90)

Several things have contributed to OIDS' slow release:

1) FTL wants OIDS to be 100% compatible with every Macintosh.
	1.1) The IIfx is giving FTL's copy protection schemes a headache.
2) Dan wrapped his Fiero around a tree.  He's much better now.
3) FTL wants OIDS to be MultiFinder compatible.
4) I left FTL.  My name's a lot smaller now on the credits screen.  Sigh.
5) Dan drinks too much coffee.

OIDS is in heavy beta right now.  I think they're trying really hard for
a Christmas '90 release -- game companies are made or broken by a tradition
begun by three wise men a long time ago.

/joe

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (11/13/90)

In article <8087@adobe.UUCP>, jholt@adobe (Joe Holt) writes:
>Several things have contributed to OIDS' slow release:
>
>1) FTL wants OIDS to be 100% compatible with every Macintosh.
>	1.1) The IIfx is giving FTL's copy protection schemes a headache.

Good.  Why don't they drop hardware copy-protection altogether, or at
least do something like require you to enter a code from the manual or
code wheel (like Lucasfilm did with Pipe Dream).

Or are they willing to refund my money whenever Apple changes
something in the System that causes my copy to become unusable?

I'm looking forward to seeing OIDS on the Mac, but I have great
reservations about buying a disk that is intentionally damaged, that I
can't back up, and that will be almost guaranteed to stop working at
some point in the future.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

darweesh@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Michael Darweesh) (11/13/90)

>1) FTL wants OIDS to be 100% compatible with every Macintosh.
>	1.1) The IIfx is giving FTL's copy protection schemes a headache.

_I_ won't be buying OIDS.

-Mike Darweesh
weesh@crd.ge.com