[comp.sys.mac.games] RPG game to be made.

fxajo@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (11/14/90)

I am about to write an adventure game, and I have seen a lot of opinions about
how people should think it should behave. I am writing this game with a
friend of mine, so we are writing it for VAX/VMS. It is my intention to
translate it over to the Macintosh, but I haven't ever written an adventure
game, so it has large "Vaporware" potential, at least in the form of delays.
Things we have come up with:
	There are no classes.
		We figure you are a character, and if you
		work learning some ability, you should get
		better at it. If you do everything, you'll
		get better at everything, but doing everything
		takes time.

	There are no "stats" as far as the
	player is concerned.
		Sure, we'll keep track of abilities, but real
		people can only judge their ability to do
		something, and seeing how they do. Same will
		hold true for the character. We will probably
		use some sort of qualitative description for
		how hurt you are, and if you are in a certain
		'qualitative range' you may have difficulty
		performing certain tasks. We're not sure this
		is exactly how it will work.
	Many magic "spells" will require a more lengthy 'ritual'
		Magic if far too complex for spells of real power
		to be cast at a moments notice. There will be
		quickie spells, but don't expect too much from them!
		Also, you have to discover magic out there. As you
		gain experience (by use) you get better/more effective
		at using magic. There will also be "classes" of
		magic. Anybody can cast anything, but you get better
		at casting "fire" magic if you cast it more.
	There's more, but it's hazy.

NONE of this is certain, so please send me ideas! This is your chance
to say what you want, without the a single piece of code having been
established.

	Adam J. Overton
	Academic Computing
	FXAJO@alaska
	acad3.fai.alaska.edu

draphsor@elaine0.stanford.edu (Matt Rollefson) (11/14/90)

fxajo@acad3.fai.alaska.edu writes:

>I am about to write an adventure game, and I have seen a lot of opinions about
>how people should think it should behave. I am writing this game with a
>friend of mine, so we are writing it for VAX/VMS. It is my intention to
>translate it over to the Macintosh, but I haven't ever written an adventure
>game, so it has large "Vaporware" potential, at least in the form of delays.

Good luck to you, and I hope to see it!  When/if you do get to porting
it, try to port only the code that deals with how the world works -
redesign the interface completely, so it looks like a Mac app, not a
ported IBM app.  Just a suggestion.

>Things we have come up with:
>	There are no classes.
>		We figure you are a character, and if you
>		work learning some ability, you should get
>		better at it. If you do everything, you'll
>		get better at everything, but doing everything
>		takes time.
>
>	There are no "stats" as far as the
>	player is concerned.
>		Sure, we'll keep track of abilities, but real
>		people can only judge their ability to do
>		something, and seeing how they do. Same will
>		hold true for the character. We will probably
>		use some sort of qualitative description for
>		how hurt you are, and if you are in a certain
>		'qualitative range' you may have difficulty
>		performing certain tasks. We're not sure this
>		is exactly how it will work.

These two are game mechanics issues.  Do you have a system that you're
going to implement, or are you designing your own system?  Unless you're
an extremely experienced RPG game-master, I'd suggest implementing an
existing system.  (Don't know what kind of copyright problems you might
run into - I'd suggest contacting the company that produces the system
before doing this, if you plan to distribute and/or sell your game.)
One that I'd love to see is GURPS, although that's an extremely
ambitious project.  Also, you're going to have to figure some way to
give the player control of how his character improves.  This is
non-trivial when all stats are hidden from the player.  I think that
hiding the stats in general is a good idea, but you'll have to be *very*
careful to be consistent in implementation (to avoid hidden 'tricks'
that allow you to make a character more powerful).

>	Many magic "spells" will require a more lengthy 'ritual'
>		Magic if far too complex for spells of real power
>		to be cast at a moments notice. There will be
>		quickie spells, but don't expect too much from them!
>		Also, you have to discover magic out there. As you
>		gain experience (by use) you get better/more effective
>		at using magic. There will also be "classes" of
>		magic. Anybody can cast anything, but you get better
>		at casting "fire" magic if you cast it more.

This is a combination game mechanics and game world question.  (As in,
pick a magic system for your game world, then implement it with your
game mechanics.)  What you need to do here is first figure out what you
want magic to be able to do and not do, then figure out a mechanic for
that.  Sounds like you have a good system in mind.  Now another thing is
to make sure that magic is useful, if you're going to make it a part of
your world.  The long, complicated spells should be fairly powerful, and
necessary to the plot of the adventure.  This obviously necessitates a
plot that does not depend only on combat.  Which I think is an excellent
idea, as you can read in my previous posts.

Other questions you'll have to answer:  How are skills going to improve?
How and for what is experience awarded?  What control does the player
have over what skills are improved?  What kind of a power level
difference are you expecting between a beginning character and a
character which has finished the adventure?  If stats are completely
hidden from the player, how is he going to choose a beginning character?
(I would suggest that, if you're hiding stats and using a skill-based
system, you use some sort of a point system to generate initial
characters.  Again, a GURPS implementation would be a wonderful thing.)

>	There's more, but it's hazy.

Please post when it gets less hazy.  I'm sure I'll think of more things
I want to see in the game, too!  If people want to get this out of the
newsgroup to e-mail, or into a more appropriate one, let me know, btw.
What would be a good group for this discussion?

>NONE of this is certain, so please send me ideas! This is your chance
>to say what you want, without the a single piece of code having been
>established.

A good opportunity indeed.  Good luck in writing the sucker, I hope to
see it in the future - optimistically, I'll look for it before I
graduate.  :)

--
Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf                  draphsor@portia.stanford.edu

man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) (11/14/90)

In article <draphsor.658562838@elaine0.stanford.edu>, draphsor@elaine0.stanford.edu (Matt Rollefson) writes:
|> fxajo@acad3.fai.alaska.edu writes:
|> Unless you're
|> an extremely experienced RPG game-master, I'd suggest implementing an
|> existing system.  (Don't know what kind of copyright problems you might
|> run into - I'd suggest contacting the company that produces the system
|> before doing this, if you plan to distribute and/or sell your game.)
|> One that I'd love to see is GURPS, although that's an extremely
|> ambitious project.

I agree.  In case you're not familiar with it, it's put out by Steve
Jackson Games.  You can find copies in nearly any gaming store.

	--Mark