[comp.sys.mac.games] Sky Shadow & Starlight on the IIsi

moyer@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Eric Moyer) (11/13/90)

   Well, I couldn't decide wheather to buy starlight or sky shadow so I
bought them both! I have a mac IIsi and they both run without problems.
Starlight's a little finicky about one of my inits, but I haven't bothered
to figure out which one, I just turn them all off at startup.

   SKY SHADOW - Cassady and Greene made a kind of wierd move in relaeasing
both new games at the same time. When I tried to decide which one to buy, I
could never remember the difference between them. I remembered hearing that
one of the games (Sky Shadow) took all the point you'd earned with a ship away
if you bombed your own city, so I decided not to buy that one 'cause it seemed
like it had a major logic flaw. Happily, I could not find the posting reviewing
either game so I got them both and fopund out that the city-bombing thing
with Sky Shadow really isn't so bad at all. You get to know the landscape
pretty well, and bombing your own base takes a bit of over-anxiousness and
stupidity. (the landscape is of the scrolling "defender" type, but rendered
in EXCELLENT detail and color).

   KUDOS for both games...

   SKY SHADOW - great sound effects, fast action, and marvelous colors. The
        landscape is drawn using dithering (alternating pixels of different
        colors) to achive more than 16 colors, and I must say they did a
        FANTASTIC job with it. I haven't gotten to level 3 yet, so I don't
        know what it looks like, but I can't wait.

   STARLIGHT - NEAT SOUND!!!!! I don't know why no-body had talked this up
        yet, but starlight playes continuous digitally sampled music in the
        background while you play. Each piece of music consists of a phrase
        which repeats (about 9 seconds worth) continuously. The "ends" of the
        phrases meet up very well, and sound fantastic (Especially the one
        when you get to a planet's surface). To my knowledge, no other mac
        game to date has done this kind of sound effect DURING the game
        action. (ShufflePuck does it at the opening, BOMBER & FALCON use a
        continuous engine sound that's theoretically the same concept, but
        it aint music).

  I love 'em both, and like I said - the IIsi has no compatability problems
with them.

SIM EARTH & THE SI - I'll let you know Wednesday!

   /-------------------------/----- You are a fluke of the universe. ---------/
  /  Eric P. Moyer   ;-o    /         You have no right to be here.          /
 / moyer@brahms.udel.edu   /        Whether you can hear it or not,         /
/-------------------------/--- The universe is laughing behind your back. -/

mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/13/90)

In article <>, moyer@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Eric Moyer) writes:
>    STARLIGHT - NEAT SOUND!!!!! I don't know why no-body had talked this up
>         yet, but starlight playes continuous digitally sampled music in the
>         background while you play. Each piece of music consists of a phr
 --stuff deleted--
>         when you get to a planet's surface). To my knowledge, no other mac
>         game to date has done this kind of sound effect DURING the game
>         action. (ShufflePuck does it at the opening, BOMBER & FALCON use a
>         continuous engine sound that's theoretically the same concept, but
>         it aint music).

The shareware game Robranna (correct name?) was the first to do this on the Mac
as far as I know.  The game must be at least two years old by now.

In general, I've found continuous music neat at first, but quickly annoying.
Is there a way to turn just the music off if it should become tiresome?

:======:****************************************************************
: ==== :*                  **  And watching the stars go on at night, **
:  === :*   Soft Dorothy   **  I'd like to see just one of them die.. **
:  ==  :*                  *****************************************jc**
:.=....:****************************************************************

moyer@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Eric Moyer) (11/13/90)

In article <>, lc writes:
[regarding continuous music during a mac game]
>The shareware game Robranna (correct name?) was the first to do this on the Mac
>as far as I know.  The game must be at least two years old by now.
>
>In general, I've found continuous music neat at first, but quickly annoying.
>Is there a way to turn just the music off if it should become tiresome?

 Sure you can. C&G write pretty sleek code. You can turn the sound off it both.
 To mu knowlege, you can't turn the music off and leave the sound effects on,
 but I MAY be wrong. I'll give a look see.

 Say, are you the lc who wrote Pararena and all them S.D games? (I assume from
your signature)
 FREE PLUG: If you don't have Pararena yet then GET OFF YOUR BUTT and download
it from somewhere! Sumex may have it, but I don't remember. Find it! Its the
BEST (in my opinion) shareware program EVER. When I read the description in
this newsgroup I envisioned a game where two gladiators battled in arcade
style within a parabolic dish, but I said to myself "nahw! Nobody could have
gone to the trouble of simulating motions in the parabola. I must have
misunderstood!" NOPE! Its true! You've GOT TO PLAY IT!!! And if you
haven't sent in your money, than someone should shoot you!

P.S. Unfortunately, none of the S.D. games run on my machine! I've got a IIsi
    and I haven't been able to get them to work. Pararena gets through the
    title screen (which runs VERY fast, but crashes when the game begins).
    Same with Glyphia. Haven't tried glider on it. Tell me how to make them
    run on an si (if its possible) and your check is in the mail!!!!!!!!!!

dundas@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (Alan Dundas) (11/20/90)

>   SKY SHADOW - great sound effects, fast action, and marvelous colors. The
>        landscape is drawn using dithering (alternating pixels of different
>        colors) to achive more than 16 colors, and I must say they did a
>        FANTASTIC job with it. I haven't gotten to level 3 yet, so I don't
>        know what it looks like, but I can't wait.

I agree with all the above.... keep your mouse clean to get the best results.
I have just started to be able to consistently get to level 3.  It is quite
tough.

So in order to practice I used Resedit to change sky shadow to just load
Zone 3, it's a fairly simple change (but it took me some time to figure it
out). Any one who wants the details just email me a message.

-Alan

dundas@hpindwa.corp.hp.com