[comp.sys.mac.games] SimCity copy protection sheet

kenney@hsi86.hsi.com (Brian Kenney) (11/15/90)

In article <2347@sparko.gwu.edu> fc156111@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.) writes:

>the people who buy the game are being punished.  I went ahead and typed up
>the information (about half an hour or so) so I wouldn't need to have the
>manual on hand all the time. Though as it turns out, I need the manual most
>the time anyway...

I have started to do the same for the copy protection sheet that comes
with SimCity.  I got one page done so far.  I will definitely finish
it, because I would be so pissed if I ever misplaced that stupid
sheet!  They make the darn thing so dark so it can't be photocopied,
but it also makes it hard to read unless you're reading it in a
well lit room.  (I was briefly considering posting the file, but
I'm sure that would be a definite no-no.)

--bri
--
Brian Kenney                                            kenney@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems                           Wallingford, CT

denden@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dennis H Chang) (11/16/90)

I'm sure someone who owns either game and is handy with a disassembler could
easily remove the copy protection.  I mean, for gods sake, pirates have been
doing things like that in their sleep for years.
It involves putting a couple nulls in a couple places.  Why doesn't some
programmer just post the crack?

ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU  <--borrowing a friends account
                               mail this account
Philip Wong

hale@scam.Berkeley.EDU (Greg Hale) (11/22/90)

In article <6890@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> denden@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dennis H Chang) writes:
>I'm sure someone who owns either game and is handy with a disassembler could
>easily remove the copy protection.  I mean, for gods sake, pirates have been
>doing things like that in their sleep for years.
>It involves putting a couple nulls in a couple places.  Why doesn't some
>programmer just post the crack?

I don't think it is a question of ease.  I don't think anyone who
overcomes that sort of protection should let the world know how.  It's
like telling people how to pick locks... sure, maybe you locked
yourself out of your house, but most people who pick locks aren't
picking their own locks.

Now, I suppose you might complain about the companies who put such
protection in, but why do they have to do it in the first place?  I
don't think it's an easy question, but if the author/publisher puts
some form of protection in, it is there for a reason.  If you don't
like it, let the publisher/author know.  That's the only way things
will change.

Sure, we could all have password-free software - on cartriges.  Maybe
someone will design a cartrige-based distribution system for the Mac,
and then we will all be out on a limb. :(

Oh, well.  These may be my opinions.  They change from day to day...

Flames to /dev/null.

O;   \\//   Greg 'All Black Stones Die' Hale, alias "The Leprechaun Guy"
&-- o----o  Internet:   hale@scam.Berkeley.EDU (128.32.138.1)
|\.  \__/   UUCP:       ...!ucbvax!scam!hale   (415) 601-7500 "Shodan"