[comp.sys.mac.games] What? NO PD CHESS FOR MAC???

tjf@lanl.gov (Tom J Farish) (10/30/90)

  Title says it all...After almost 2 weeks of waiting, no one has
responded to my post of where to find a decent (or any) PD Chess
program for the mac.  Is anyone holding back info, thinking 'Oh
he'll get tons of responses, doesn't need one more'....

Maybe it's time to port one from the (shudder) IBM or Amiga worlds.

hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) (10/31/90)

In article <4393@lanl.gov> tjf@lanl.gov (Tom J Farish) writes:

>  Title says it all...After almost 2 weeks of waiting, no one has
>responded to my post of where to find a decent (or any) PD Chess
>program for the mac.  Is anyone holding back info, thinking 'Oh
>he'll get tons of responses, doesn't need one more'....
>
>Maybe it's time to port one from the (shudder) IBM or Amiga worlds.

I do have a copy of SARGON III, version 0.1, and the get info box says
that it is not yet fully functional. I haven't noticed any copyright
message in it. I s there anybody who know if this copy can be
distributed ? I just found it on a public mac at the dept. of CS.

I will just see if I can find any copyright notice in the about box, if
such one exists. If there is no copyright notice in the program itself,
can it then be copied freely ? (according to US copyright law)

Povl H. Pedersen
eco8941@ecostat.aau.dk   /   hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu

Povl H. Pedersen             hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu
HP48sx archive maintainer

rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson) (10/31/90)

tjf@lanl.gov (Tom J Farish) writes:
>Maybe it's time to port one from the (shudder) IBM or Amiga worlds.

Yes, please.  I've seen a really excellent Chess game in which the
pieces are animated.  When a queen takes a pawn, they actually
fight (of course, you know which piece will win beforehand).  I've
been waiting for this for the mac for about two years.
-rsvp

v092mgp5@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct30.194152.19138@wuarchive.wustl.edu>,
hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) writes...

[stuff deleted]

>I will just see if I can find any copyright notice in the about box, if
>such one exists. If there is no copyright notice in the program itself,
>can it then be copied freely ? (according to US copyright law)

   Well, that depends.  If the program was COMMERCIAL and contains a
copyright notice than you had better not distribute it.  However, if the
program was SHAREWARE, that is copyrighted but distributable with a
contribution to the author, that yes you can copy it freely.  Chnaces are,
since it was a .1 version, you can distribute it, but don't take my word
for it.

                                    Scott
                                BITNET : v092mgp5@ubmvs.bitnet
                              INTERNET : v092mgp5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct30.194152.19138@wuarchive.wustl.edu> hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) writes:
>If there is no copyright notice in the program itself,
>can it then be copied freely ? (according to US copyright law)

In recent years, works do NOT have to contain an explicit copyright notice
in order to obtain U.S. copyright protection.  Works can be copyrighted
AFTER they are published.

If a lawyer wants to correct me, go ahead.  I'm pretty sure I have it all
straight though.

+++
Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (128.120.57.20)
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 215 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616

mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/31/90)

In article <25429@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson) writes:
> tjf@lanl.gov (Tom J Farish) writes:
>>Maybe it's time to port one from the (shudder) IBM or Amiga worlds.
>
> Yes, please.  I've seen a really excellent Chess game in which the
> pieces are animated.  When a queen takes a pawn, they actually
> fight (of course, you know which piece will win beforehand).  I've
> been waiting for this for the mac for about two years.
> -rsvp

"Battle Chess" or some such?  Writing a "battling chess" game for the Mac has
only _briefly_ sparked my fancy.  The problem becomes: who really wants to hack
the search tree?  All that work and then, when you've finished, all you've done
is coded another chess program.
Are there generic chess algorithms (pref Pascal) that can be used as a shell?

:======:****************************************************************
: ==== :*                  **  And watching the stars go on at night, **
:  === :*   Soft Dorothy   **  I'd like to see just one of them die.. **
:  ==  :*                  *****************************************jc**
:.=....:****************************************************************

chris@imagine.ADMS-RAD.Unisys.COM (Chris Sterritt) (10/31/90)

In article <4393@lanl.gov> tjf@lanl.gov (Tom J Farish) writes:

>  Title says it all...After almost 2 weeks of waiting, no one has
>responded to my post of where to find a decent (or any) PD Chess
>program for the mac.  Is anyone holding back info, thinking 'Oh
>he'll get tons of responses, doesn't need one more'....
>
>Maybe it's time to port one from the (shudder) IBM or Amiga worlds.

Or perhaps get GNU Chess 3.0 ported over.  COME ON YOU C HACKERS, get it
up! :-).

Seriously, GNU Chess is pretty portable C.  I did talk to (someone) who
did a port of 1.xx, and found it pretty easy, BUT didn't have the time
to do either a 'mac-like' user interface or do 3.0.

SO, someone who's got time, a C compiler, and energy: WE'D LOVE IT!

	thanks,

= Chris Sterritt -- chris@adms-rad.unisys.com                              =
= "The secret is dirt. D-I-R-T. 'D' as in dirt, 'I' as in dirt, 'R' as in  =
=  dirt, 'T' as in Orange Pekoe." -- Churchy LaFemme                       =

In article <7895@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) writes:
>In article <1990Oct30.194152.19138@wuarchive.wustl.edu> hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) writes:
>>If there is no copyright notice in the program itself,
>>can it then be copied freely ? (according to US copyright law)
>
>In recent years, works do NOT have to contain an explicit copyright notice
>in order to obtain U.S. copyright protection.  Works can be copyrighted
>AFTER they are published.
>
>If a lawyer wants to correct me, go ahead.  I'm pretty sure I have it all
>straight though.
>
>+++
>Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (128.120.57.20)
>              Compuserve: 72647,660
>              US Mail: 215 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616

How can I find out if the game is copyrighted ? What happens if i
distributed it, and then found out later that it was copyrighted ?
Or if the author claims copyright after I have distributed it ?
If I do a distributuion on the net, which country's copyright law is
then in effect for me ? I am living in Denmark, and will be sitting here
posting the stuff worldwide from an account in the USA.

I really want to post the program if I get no problems out of it.

kreme@isis.cs.du.edu (The Loch Ness Dog) (11/01/90)

In article <4393@lanl.gov> tjf@lanl.gov (Tom J Farish) writes:

>  Title says it all...After almost 2 weeks of waiting, no one has
>responded to my post of where to find a decent (or any) PD Chess
>program for the mac.  Is anyone holding back info, thinking 'Oh
>he'll get tons of responses, doesn't need one more'....
>
>Maybe it's time to port one from the (shudder) IBM or Amiga worlds.

I think aprt of the reason that there are no good PD chess games for
the Mac is that there is no point.  For $30 you can buy Sargon IV, which
will kick the tail of just about anything I have ever seen.  Set it on
a leisurly 5 minute move and it will challange all but the best players.

With such a good chess player available so cheap, why spend the time
programming an inferior free one?

--
| kreme@nyx.cs.du.edu |Growing up leads to growing old, and then to dying, and|
|---------------------|dying to me don't sound like all that much fun.        |

grue@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Frobozz) (11/02/90)

kreme@isis.cs.du.edu (The Loch Ness Dog) writes:

>In article <4393@lanl.gov> tjf@lanl.gov (Tom J Farish) writes:
>>Maybe it's time to port one from the (shudder) IBM or Amiga worlds.

Several years ago I ported GNUchess to the mac (running under Aztec C's
shell), it took about an afternoon to get it going.  Most of the effort
was re-doing the screen handling stuff.  Unfortunately, I no longer have
my patched version (and am not about to re-port it since I no longer use
Aztec and I don't want to write proper screen handling).  If somebody else
does the port then good on 'em.

>I think aprt of the reason that there are no good PD chess games for
>the Mac is that there is no point.  For $30 you can buy Sargon IV, which
>will kick the tail of just about anything I have ever seen.  Set it on
>a leisurly 5 minute move and it will challange all but the best players.
>With such a good chess player available so cheap, why spend the time
>programming an inferior free one?

I agree with this in spirit (Sargon isn't $30 in Australia, I'd expect it to
be at least double probably triple).

							Pauli
seeya

Paul Dale               | Internet/CSnet:            grue@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au
Dept of Computer Science| Bitnet:       grue%batserver.cs.uq.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
Uni of Qld              | JANET:           grue%batserver.cs.uq.oz.au@uk.ac.ukc
Australia, 4072         | EAN:                          grue@batserver.cs.uq.oz
f4e6g4Qh4++             | JUNET:                     grue@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au
--

rcoahk@chudich.co.rmit.oz (Alvaro Hui Kau) (11/05/90)

From article <1990Nov1.080325.26897@isis.cs.du.edu>, by kreme@isis.cs.du.edu (The Loch Ness Dog):
> I think aprt of the reason that there are no good PD chess games for
> the Mac is that there is no point.  For $30 you can buy Sargon IV, which
> will kick the tail of just about anything I have ever seen.  Set it on
> a leisurly 5 minute move and it will challange all but the best players.
>
> With such a good chess player available so cheap, why spend the time
> programming an inferior free one?

How about CHINESE chess???

	Alvaro Hui		|ACSnet		akkh@mullian.oz
    4th Year B.E.\ B.Sc.	|Internet &	akkh@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU
   University of Melbourne	|Arpanet	rcoahk@koel.co.rmit.OZ.AU
         	   		|Arpa-relay	akkh%mullian.oz@uunet.uu.net
       	    	 		|Uunet		....!munnari!mullian!akkh
                  		|EAN		akkh@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au
	Alvaro Hui		|ACSnet		akkh@mullian.oz
    4th Year B.E.\ B.Sc.	|Internet &	akkh@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU
   University of Melbourne	|Arpanet	rcoahk@koel.co.rmit.OZ.AU

francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov1.080325.26897@isis.cs.du.edu> kreme@isis.UUCP (The Loch Ness Dog) writes:
[talks about Sargon V]
>With such a good chess player available so cheap, why spend the time
>programming an inferior free one?

Because it's FUN, & it's a challenge, & you can set up other things the
way you like them.  Hell, why write anything, if that's not how you
feel about it?
| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|
| Department of Mathematics	|=============================================|
| University of Chicago		| Non sequiturs make me eat lampshades	      |
| francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu	|   				       	      |

JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET (Josh Hayes) (11/25/90)

I just noticed in info-mac digest that there has been posted
to the archive at sumex a shareware version of Japanese Chess,
archived at sumex-aim.stanford.edu (36.44.0.6) as

info-mac/game/cranes-shogi-021.hqx.

I have not yet ftp-ed it, I'm a crappy chess player, I know
little about the game (except in general terms: most pieces
can advance in rank if they reach the opponent's side of the
board, and when a piece is captured it becomes the piece of
the capturer....), but it's f.y.i. I have no connection to
the game or the writer, really, not at all, I know nnnnothing.

Josh Hayes, Zoology Department, Miami University, Oxford OH 45056
voice: 513-529-1679      fax: 513-529-6900
jahayes@miamiu.bitnet, or jahayes@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu
"I am the Supreme Being, you know; I'm not completely dim."