	From: Ed Greenberg <edg@micropro.uucp.arpa>
	Date: 15 Jan 86 00:03:25 GMT
	Subject: Davenport 0-6-0 Switcher

	Can anybody tell me about the prototype?  Who used it?  When?  In what
	colors?  In what applications?

	If it's a steam engine, how does it run without a tender?
	Where does it keep it's fuel?

I don't know if it was a Davenport, but I do know of a similar-sounding
steam switcher used within a Hercules chemical plant in Hattiesburg, Miss.
This had no firebox at all, but was charged periodically from a static steam
plant along the route. They would chuff along until they got a bit low on
steam, then go get more. Of course, they had to be watchful about it.  I
believe that the plant had ample uses for steam in other applications, so
this enabled them to manufacture their steam in the most economical manner
they could manage.  Also, this meant that you weren't carrying fire around
with you in the middle of a big chemical plant!

Another possibility is that it is a "Tank" locomotive, with a small coal
bunker and water tank onboard (usually noted as 0-6-0T).  Usually the water
tank was wrapped around the boiler for some pre-heating, giving the loco the
distinctive look.  The former Atlas, now Bachmann, 0-4-0T docksider in N
scale is the locomotive that I think of, mostly because I own one.  Hangs
badly on plastic switch frogs.

Hey!  Wait a minute!  I remember the Davenport now.  Wasn't it a *diesel*
(not diesel-electric, I think) switcher with one (?) geared axle and side
rods for power distribution?   The model has the side rods only, no
reversing gear or steam pistons.

Never mind.

Dennis