[comp.sys.mac.games] Carmen Sandiego games for Kids?

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (11/27/90)

fwb@pollux.siemens.com (Fred Brehm) writes:

>So, two questions:

>	Are any of the Carmen Sandiego games appropriate for 7 or 4
>	year olds?

Definitely not for four years olds.  You have to be able to read and
there are a lot of big words and foreign names (at least in "Where in the
World...").  One of my neighbors has an 8 year old and when he was 7, I
had to read the text for him.  He hasn't played it since turning 8, but
I think he would still have trouble.  Even his 10 year old sister has
trouble with some of the words.

I personally think this game is more for 10+ kids.  The 7 year old did
enjoy it, but needed help.  He'd cry whenever he'd see how far ahead his
sister was in cases solved.  The game displays a tally of cases at the
end of each case.  You also need to read an Almanac while playing "Where
in the World..."

>	Is there any significant difference between the Mac and IBM PC
>	versions (I have a Mac, my sister has a PC)?

I haven't seen the Mac version.  I think there is a lso a Commodore
version too.  The PC version runs in CGA (Crummy Graphics Adaptor)
mode.  It's also copy protected, but a little hacking can fix that.
:-(  I *HATE* having to hunt for those distribution disks.

>Thanks,

Bitte schoen.

--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014

rashid@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Robert G Rashid) (11/27/90)

I have used the PC version of Where in the World... with both my kids.
The younger (then aged 7 loved the graphics (primitive hercules on PC) and
sound effects.  He also liked looking up the flags in the almanac.  However,
he required a fair amount of supervision to wade through the almanac for
necessary information to get the correct destinations.  His sister (age 11)
was a good help frequently.

I noticed that this year, my son and friends (all now age 9) have been using
the program unsupervised, with great success.  It is also available in their
fourth grade classroom, but the teacher states that not all kids know how
(or want) to look things up.

We hope to get the Europe and time versions of Carmen, and will probably
keep at least one on the PC to justify it's existence.
--

Bob Rashid
College of Dentistry