[comp.sys.mac.games] Might & Magic Help

wbrooks@ADS.COM (William Brooks) (11/27/90)

I've been playing Might & Magic for about 30 hours (no, not continuously),
and have not been able to get my sorcerors to be able to cast several
spells.  These are spells I would really like to be able to cast, especially
Fireball.

The Macintosh version I'm playing will consistantly bring up an alert window
that says: "**Spell Failed**".  It does not give the "not enough gems" message
or the "not enough spell points" message under the "3-D" window as it will
when these conditions do happen.

I can find nothing in the documentation to describe this.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated with an e-mail reply loudly declaring
your generousity and worth as a scholar of the Arts.

wbrooks@ADS.COM (William Brooks) (11/27/90)

I have been playing Might & Magic for about 40 hours (no, not continuously)
and have been unable to get my sorcerors to cast certain spells (like Web and
Fireball).  While I can limp along like this, it would _really_ be nice if I
could use these spells.  It doesn't seem to matter how many spell points or
gems I have.  Also, instead of the usually error message appearing underneath
the "3-D" window, I get an alert pop up and say "***Spell Failed***".

Anyone that can help me out and tell me what I'm doing wrong will receive
an e-mail reply dripping with kudos (not the candy :-) and declaring your
worth as a scholar of the Arts of Magic.

hin9@quads.uchicago.edu (T. Rev) (11/27/90)

   I have also had trouble with making spells work in m&m II.  I've
been playing for some time, and have completed most of the quests
and been to Mt. Farview, but I *still* can't get fireball, web, and
disrupt to work for my mages, and cold ray and acid spray don't work
for my clerics.

   Obligatory cluemongering:
[stupid ^L won't work...]

   A quick and dirty way to complete some of the character quests, especially
for knights, is to travel to the site of the encounter and *hide* instead
of fighting.  This is pretty easy to do successfully if you only have one
fighter and one thief along.  The program will consider you to have
defeated the opponent, and you can collect your reward without striking a
single blow.
--
"Those who know, do not speak.  Those who speak, do not know" - Lao Tzu
"Whereof one cannot speak, one must perforce remain silent" - Wittgenstein

rlwald@phoenix.princeton.edu (Rob Wald) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov27.064222.18281@midway.uchicago.edu>
hin9@quads.uchicago.edu (T. Rev) writes:
>    I have also had trouble with making spells work in m&m II.  I've
> been playing for some time, and have completed most of the quests
> and been to Mt. Farview, but I *still* can't get fireball, web, and
> disrupt to work for my mages, and cold ray and acid spray don't work
> for my clerics.

  I just sent this in E-Mail. It might have been to you, but I'm assuming
that
nobody would ask the same thing twice in a row. All of those spells (I
don't
have disrupt) need to be cast on monsters out of hand-to-hand range. Cast
at
the first unchecked monster. Otherwise they will fail.

-Rob

104% of all statistics are wrong.