[comp.sys.mac.games] net Trek

chardros@csli.Stanford.EDU (Doug Gibson) (05/26/90)

In <3202@ultb.isc.rit.edu> jrj1047@ultb.isc.rit.edu (J.R. Jarrett) writes:
>Did you know that if you play by yourself, after a while, two and then
>three computer-controlled ships appear?

I've fought up to five (!!!) computer ships at once, and it's TOUGH... my
kill ratio drops to about seven to one at that point.  That doesn't count all
the times they run into each other (stupid!).  It's lots of fun when your
directional controls are trashed and you just drift along at about .5 c
blasting the poor fools as they try to catch up with you (WARNING:  don't try
this in certain star systems!  You'll run into something before your repairs
are completed.)....

I play only ROMULANS, of course.  Love them powerful, wide-spread plasma
cannon....

-Doug Gibson
 chardros@csli.stanford.edu

Undergraduate Mutant Quantum Chemists - heroes in a closed shell

kav@hpausla.aso.hp.com (John Kavadias) (05/28/90)

J.R. Jarrett <jrj1047@ultb.isc.rit.edu> writes in comp.sys.mac.games:

> Did you know that if you play by yourself, after a while, two and then
> three computer-controlled ships appear?

I currently have a game like this where there are 5 enemy craft, not all of
the same race, which will attack me in preference to eachother when there
are multiple ships within weapons Range.

John Kavadias.

finesse@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Amit Malhotra) (06/06/90)

Someone recently posted an article concerning ways to "cheat" in Nettrek
(version 1.0).  He mentioned techniques such as super-fast acceleration
and terran cloaking.  I think I also remembered something about "base-detonating"
Does this mean that there's a way to blow up your bases after you leave them
behind?  Could someone please tell me how this is done, if possible?  Also
there was something said about klingons being able to phaser through their
shields.  How is this done?  (By the way, I have both versions so hints for
either version would be welcomed).

                                         thanks in advance,

                                         finesse
.

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (06/06/90)

In article <22558@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> finesse@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Amit Malhotra) writes:
>Someone recently posted an article concerning ways to "cheat" in Nettrek
>(version 1.0).  He mentioned techniques such as super-fast acceleration
>and terran cloaking.  I think I also remembered something about "base-detonating"
>Does this mean that there's a way to blow up your bases after you leave them
>behind?  Could someone please tell me how this is done, if possible?  Also
>there was something said about klingons being able to phaser through their
>shields.  How is this done?  (By the way, I have both versions so hints for
>either version would be welcomed).

I can't tell you about the super-fast acceleration, but I'd like to find out
about it...

Terrans can cloak (and so can anyone else) by going off the right edge of the
lang range map SLOWLY.  There is a part of space that is not on the map before
it wraps to the left side.

To detonate a base, just hit the Destroy Base button to the left of the Drop
Base button.

Klingons can't phaser through shields.  The previous poster was reffering to
Feds.

--
Ted Woodward (ted@cs.utexas.edu)

Death now has Extra Speed!

garyf@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Gary Faulkner) (11/27/90)

Can someone tell me how/where to get the latest version of net Trek??

Thanks....

Gary Faulkner
Nat'l Center for Supercomputing Applications
University of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign

All these thoughts are my own, not my employer's...

rdominy@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov (Robert Dominy) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov26.220104.15738@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> garyf@ncsa.uiuc.edu
(Gary Faulkner) writes:
> Can someone tell me how/where to get the latest version of net Trek??

Try your favorite mail order company (MacConnection has it), as NetTrek
"The Real Version" is now a commercial product by a company called
Premier Technology.

Robert Dominy
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center