[comp.sys.mac.games] PoR Pyramid - Possible SPOILERS

bgahl@scuba.Ebay.Sun.COM (Robert Gahl Sun Federal SE) (11/28/90)

I just completed the pyramid (luckily, I might add), and it left
me with a few questions someone might be able to answer. I'll
insert the obligatory control L as these questions might constitute
a spoiler for others who haven't gotten this far (unless, per chance
I'm the last person to discover this game).

They are:

1) What's the purpose of the dial in wizard's (sorry, I can't remember
the guy's name) room. This is the one with Blue, Copper, Silver, and
Gold settings. Does it control the teleporter? If so, how? When I
teleported out with it at the blue setting (after changing the dial
and nothing happening at the other settings, I reset it back), I
considered myself lucky to be teleporting to where I needed to be.

2) Ran into this strange 2nd level cleric who wouldn't bless me but
also wouldn't let me pass. I tried to parlay with him, but he continued
to insist that I was a brother and he'd already blessed someone. The
only way to leave the encounter was to either flee (and not be able to
get to the square behind him) or kill him. So, I killed him, only to
find there was nothing behind him at all, leaving me wondering if I
accidentally killed a good guy (course, the entire party is slightly
chaotic, so it doesn't really matter, alignment wise). Note I parlayed
in all ways (Nice, Meek, etc.), but always the same response.

3) Is there a rhyme or reason to how the teleporters work other than
throwing a rock and hoping for the best (i.e. random teleport to the
last room)? This frustrated the heck out of me. I got to the final
battle once, got blown to bits by the exploding gunk apparatus, and
wasn't strong enough to take on the wizard. Then, I couldn't reproduce
the methodology to get there in what seemed like ages. When I finally
got back to the area, I saved the game, and then proceeded, this time
wasting the bad guys, freeing the lizard slaves, and then having garnered
all the wizard's paperwork, felt lucky to teleport to the entry
corridor.

All of this is moot, as I have been awarded for completing the mission,
but I was wondering if someone more knowledgeable (patient?) had the
answers.

Thanks!

Bob Gahl                      | ARPA/INTERNET:   bgahl@EBay.Sun.COM
SE - Sun Microsystems Federal | UUCP: ...[about anywhere]!sun!bgahl
"Ninety percent of this game is mental. The other half is physical"
                                                Yogi Berra

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (12/03/90)

bgahl@scuba.Ebay.Sun.COM (Robert Gahl  Sun Federal  SE) writes:

>1) What's the purpose of the dial in wizard's
>Does it control the teleporter? If so, how? When I
>teleported out with it at the blue setting (after changing the dial
>and nothing happening at the other settings, I reset it back), I
>considered myself lucky to be teleporting to where I needed to be.

Each setting takes you to a different room otherwise inaccessible
except by the teleporter (which the dial *does* control).  At
least one of these rooms is a treasure room with money and magic
weapons.

>2) Ran into this strange 2nd level cleric who wouldn't bless me but
>also wouldn't let me pass. I tried to parlay with him, but he continued
>to insist that I was a brother and he'd already blessed someone. The
>only way to leave the encounter was to either flee (and not be able to
>get to the square behind him) or kill him. So, I killed him, only to
>find there was nothing behind him at all...

I killed him too.  Can't answer your question.  (I had mostly good
people and nothing bad happened.)

>3) Is there a rhyme or reason to how the teleporters work other than
>throwing a rock and hoping for the best (i.e. random teleport to the
>last room)? This frustrated the heck out of me.

I had trouble with these too.  I just kept trying them by throwing
in an even or odd number of rocks and I finally got to the places
I needed (I had detailed maps I made to help me out).  As I remember,
throwing in something like 3 rocks before I stepped in seemed to help
me from being transported back to the place I had come from.

S. "Stevie" Smith \  +  /
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC