[comp.sys.mac.games] Mac Golf

Griffiths.R@AppleLink.Apple.com (Rob Griffiths) (12/05/90)

raven@pawl.rpi.edu (Jennifer Lynn Piatek) writes:

> Speaking of golf games, a friend of mine (actually two of them) have the
> game Zany Golf...

I recently found "Hole In One Miniature Golf" for the Macintosh.  I have
the original program disks in front of me, but I can't tell you who
publishes it -- their name is nowhere on the diskettes! Bought it from Egghead.

The program offers five 18-hole courses in color, and four 18-hole
black-and-white courses.  The good, the bad, and the ugly of the program
are:

    +  Uses 256 colors if available.
    +  Interface is (relatively) Mac-like.
    +  Somewhat addicting to play.
    -  BUGGY!  This is their first version, and their are several
       minor glitches:
           * Ball can get "stuck" in certain places
           * Physics (Fizziks?) are routinely ignored when calculating
             rebound angles and bank shots
           * The scorecard gets one hole behind after the first nine holes
    -  Some courses are next-to-impossible.
    -  Top view of holes makes seing some details difficult.

Overall, it's not a bad attempt at mini-golf -- but I'm writing to suggest
they fix their bugs.  You may want to wait for version 2.0 or whatever...

On the subject of real golf games, I've used both Mean 18 and Jack
Nicklaus golf.  In my opinion, Jack's is nicer.  It has hills (missing
from Mean 18), and the action of the ball on the green is much more
realistic -- it is actually possible to land a five iron on the green, and
not have it roll off the back!  However, putting is a little stranger than
on Mean 18 -- it takes a little getting used to.  And it's easier to hit the fairways on Mean 18! ;)

World Class is indeed out for the Mac, in black-and-white only (I
believe).  It seems very similar to both Mean 18 and Nicklaus ...

Not withstanding an unexpected transfer to Public Relations, I speak for myself; Apple speaks for itself.

-rob.