[comp.sys.mac.games] Citadel

ylsul@athena.mit.edu (Young Sul) (09/18/90)

Does anybody have some good tips for Citadel? I just started playing a
few weeks ago and find that I'm best at dying:

-Is there ever a case where being a (for example) fighter is better than
 choosing to be a knight?
-Are there optimal combinations for creating a character?
-Anybody know what the rings on the walls of the very first level are for?
-Do the niches have any meaning?
-Is it very difficult to find the mapper/spell book? (I assume so, since I
 haven't come across it yet)

					Young Sul
					ylsul@athena.mit.edu

v119mb9h@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Phillip C Ng) (10/05/90)

I am stuck in Citadel!!  Can someone help me with the following
questions:

1) How do you kill Death?  He is in the room where a spell book
   is located.  I managed to get the book, but I want to go back
   and kill Death just for the heck of it.

2) I have encountered the lady in the crystal again.  It is blocking               a stairwell going downward.  How do I get pass the crystal?
   This crystal is located in the room where there is a box
   outside the door which says "In case of emergency, break glass"

Thanks in advance.

Phillip Ng
v119mb9h@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu

v119mb9h@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Phillip C Ng) (10/25/90)

Can someone tell me how to break the "In case of
emergency" box?  I've tried everything and
nothing works.  Thanks in advance.

Phillip
v119mb9h@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu

wwg2101@venus.tamu.edu (GILPIN, WESLEY WILSON) (10/25/90)

In order to break the glass, shoot it with an arrow. Just open the items window
of one of your players, select the bow and clisk "shoot", aim the crosshairs on
the screen and click to shoot.

Backlash

chan@andante.att.com (Thomas Chan) (10/25/90)

For all you citadel players out there, are there any hints you can give a beginner? More specifically:

1. Does anyone know what the "trance" does?

2. what is the answer to the question "how long does it take to fall 2 feet?

3. How do you come back up if you fall into one of those holes?

T.C.

moorej@cpsin2.uucp (Jeffrey R Moore) (10/26/90)

Is citadel any good?  I have Pool of Radience, and love it.  (Despite
the interface).  How does citadel compare?

looking for something to do...
=== Jeff Moore <---> moorej@cpsin2.cps.msu.edu ===

d88-cbr@dront.nada.kth.se (Christian Beijner) (10/26/90)

In article <43654@andante.att.com> chan@andante.UUCP writes:

>For all you citadel players out there, are there any hints you can give a beginner? More specifically:
>
>1. Does anyone know what the "trance" does?

It is useful if you should meet a "monster" that picks up unmoving things.
Dont know any other use. Anybody else.

>2. what is the answer to the question "how long does it take to fall 2 feet?

Start counting. One..two..three.. Arrgh.
There probably is no answer. Just fall.

>3. How do you come back up if you fall into one of those holes?

Find some stairs.
Dont fall down by a) jumping over b) Levitas spell.

Some of my own reflections.
Citadel is beautiful but sometimes in such a pain using.
It is triply copy-protected, albeit in "nice" ways. (No hardware stuff)
a) You really need the manual to manage some of the puzzles,
   and to memorize spells.
b) there is a stupid codewheel, which gives you a letter to type
   on entrance.
c) When starting the first time you type in your name, which then
   gets displayed in following startups and in the about box.
   Personilazed for..

Citadel clearly has the look of a game specifically made for the Mac.
You drag items to change their positions. You click on the screen
to search niches.
The combat is beautiful, its is graphical and fast.
(As opposed to POR which was graphical and slooow)

I have had several problems with saving the game.
Sometimes when I split up parties and saved one party disappears
(completely).
Saving when whole or part of the party is in the elevator is not to recommend.
Citadel forgets that the elevator was, so everybody takes the looong fall
when you open up the file.
Also if you save just after winning a battle in those places were prespecified
monsters appear, (Specifically, like the 3 executioners at the "first"
appearance of Synd) these monsters get resurrected when you open the saved
file. A real pain if you save because the party was weak.
Otherwise I can recommend the game. Real nice.
/Chris

v119mb9h@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Phillip C Ng) (10/30/90)

Help!  I'm stuck.  I managed to get the skull wand from the box,
and brandish the crystal.  But now what do I do?  Part of the
crystal just shattered, the lady is still stuck in the crystal,
and the crystal is still in my way.  Can anyone offer any help?
Thanks.

jlc@atux01.UUCP (Jim Collymore) (11/02/90)

In article <43279@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v119mb9h@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Phillip C Ng) writes:
> Help!  I'm stuck.  I managed to get the skull wand from the box,
> and brandish the crystal.  But now what do I do?  Part of the
> crystal just shattered, the lady is still stuck in the crystal,
> and the crystal is still in my way.  Can anyone offer any help?
> Thanks.
>
> Phillip Ng
> v119mb9h@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu

You must, therefore find 3 more skull wands!

					Jim Collymore

dsk@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Daniel S. Katz) (11/13/90)

I tried playing Citadel over the weekend, and found it to be the most
boring and tedious adventure-type game I've ever tried.

Am I alone in this, or do others share my opinion?

Eagerly waiting for Curse of the Azure Bonds,
Dan

---
Dan Katz                                            1(708)491-8887
Dept. of Electrical Engineering                   dsk@eecs.nwu.edu
Northwestern University                         dkatz@nuacc.bitnet

es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik Warren Selberg) (11/14/90)

Citadel wasn't too bad... I thought it was a bit better than some
others I've tried.  The combat is the best I've seen in a D&D game so
far (Ultima's done well).  I admit that moving through the mazes to
get gold was a waste, but at least the mazes weren't lines like Might
& Magic.  However, there was a serious lack of problems once your guys
got enough gold for level (I reseditted mine... the "classic" is to
duplicate characters).

So how about Wiz II? (I wonder if my 28th level ninja will be happy...
I love Daggers of Thievery! (sp))

                          ...they call me fluppie...
\ ARPA: es2q@andrew.cmu.edu   Fido: 129/107  BBS: Mac @ Night (412) 268-5534 /
 \   GEnie: E.SELBERG  Delphi: LORDERIK  CIS: 71470,2127  MacList: 6009/1   /

chan@andante.att.com (Thomas Chan) (11/29/90)

I posted before, but go no responses, so I'll try again.
Help!! I'm really stuck!!! How do you get the last skull wand? There's a place in level10 of the dungeon which transports you to an area surrounded by walls. The skull wand is there, but how do you get out? I know it has something to do with the flute, but what notes are you supposed to play and where are you supposed to play the flute?

T.C.

es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik Warren Selberg) (12/03/90)

if you'll notice, there are two such places... one with a wand, one with
a statue and some scrolls.... go to the one with scrolls first --
there's a cool spell.

                          ...they call me fluppie...
\ ARPA: es2q@andrew.cmu.edu   Fido: 129/107  BBS: Mac @ Night (412) 268-5534 /
 \   GEnie: E.SELBERG  Delphi: LORDERIK  CIS: 71470,2127  MacList: 6009/1   /

chan@andante.att.com (Thomas Chan) (12/05/90)

I finished citadel last night but still have some unanswered questions.

1.does the wish spell exists? If so , where is it?

2. how do you get the dopplegang spell to work? It always fails for me when I try to use it during combat.

drenze@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Douglas Renze) (12/06/90)

I've got a question about Citadel...where can I get it?  Is this a PD/Share-
ware game, if so, is it up for anon-ftp anywhere?  If not, is there someplace
I can mebbe 'purchase' it?

Contact me thru email, if you would; no need wasting bandwidth for this type
of question.

Peace and Long Life,

GreyLensman

         We now return you to your regularly-scheduled hallucination.