[comp.sys.mac.games] Broderbund copy protection

seiler@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Ed Seiler) (11/28/90)

  A friend of mine recently went from an SE to a IIci, and finds that some
software that is copy protected by requiring that the master disk be inserted
fails to recognize the master disk. Jam Session is just one example of this. Is
there a way around this or is an update required and available?

Edward Seiler                               seiler@dftnic.gsfc.nasa.gov
ST Systems Corp.                            NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

        "If puns are outlawed, only outlaws will have puns"

bochen@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Meathead) (12/05/90)

In article <4024@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> seiler@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:

>  A friend of mine recently went from an SE to a IIci, and finds that some
>software that is copy protected by requiring that the master disk be inserted
>fails to recognize the master disk. Jam Session is just one example of this. Is
>there a way around this or is an update required and available?

I have found (by talking to Broderbund) that on the newer machines
with the instruction cache, their protection fails (DEATH TO COPY
PROTECTION!!!!).  Anyways, there is some cdev called something like
"toggle cache" or "Cache toggle" or whatever that turns of the
instruction cache and lets some of these programs work.  This worked
for me with Playmaker Football and Simcity (non-color).\

conty@cbnewsl.att.com (The Conty) (12/06/90)

In article <14697@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, bochen@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Meathead) writes:
> In article <4024@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> seiler@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
> >
> >  A friend of mine recently went from an SE to a IIci, and finds that some
> >software that is copy protected by requiring that the master disk be inserted
> >fails to recognize the master disk. Jam Session is just one example of this. Is
> >there a way around this or is an update required and available?
>
> I have found (by talking to Broderbund) that on the newer machines
> with the instruction cache, their protection fails (DEATH TO COPY
> PROTECTION!!!!).  Anyways, there is some cdev called something like
> "toggle cache" or "Cache toggle" or whatever that turns of the
> instruction cache and lets some of these programs work.  This worked
> for me with Playmaker Football and Simcity (non-color).\

	Where can I get this cdev????
--

			    E n r i q u e  C o n t y
			      jester@ihlpl.att.com