[comp.sys.mac.games] Might & Magic -- Hint wanted

favorini-francis@CS.YALE.EDU (Francis Favorini) (11/27/90)

Hi folks,
	After playing for quite a while now, I have visited most of the land
of Varn, but a few places remain stubbornly inaccessible.  What I'm after
is pointers in the right direction, not spoilers.  Specifically,
(note, you may not want to read this if you are working on the earlier
stages of the game)

	I have the B & W Queen Idols, and go to the Isle of Og, where upon
I am presented by Og with the chess move "Queen to Queens Level 3.  Respond?"
I have tried a bunch of stuff, but nothing seems to produce any response.
I've found two messages that seem related (i.e. were found on black and white
checkered signs, etc.):  "The Last part is the First." and "The first part
is female."  This hasn't led me to any great insights (none that worked,
anyhow).  Have I missed a message somewhere?  I'd still like to figure
this out, if I have all the info I need.  However, vague hints would be
appreciated.

Thanks.
Francis Favorini					favorini@cs.yale.edu
							favorini@yalecs.bitnet
							...!yale!favorini

gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) (11/28/90)

	"Queen to Queen's Level 3"....Hmmm...I seem to remember this being a
password on one of the old Star Trek episodes, the one where Garth escapes
from the prison colony and holds Kirk captive.  If I remember correctly, the
countersign was "King to King's Level 1".

deichman@cod.NOSC.MIL (Shane D. Deichman) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov27.235537.1165@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) writes:

>	"Queen to Queen's Level 3"....Hmmm...I seem to remember this being a
>password on one of the old Star Trek episodes, the one where Garth escapes
>from the prison colony and holds Kirk captive.  If I remember correctly, the
>countersign was "King to King's Level 1".

Yes, I believe that was the proper response (on the show, not the game).
The episode was "Whom Gods Destroy," which aired in the third (and final
) season of the series.

Any M&M players out there in NetLand want to tell us if the game designers
were Star Trek buffs?

-shane

"the Ayatollah of Rock-and-Rollah"

               |\/\/\/\/|
               |        |        "Beam me up, Scotty!"
               |        |
               |    (o o)       /
               c        _)     /
               /______\

wbrooks@ADS.COM (William Brooks) (11/29/90)

In article <2496@cod.NOSC.MIL> deichman@cod.nosc.mil.UUCP (Shane D. Deichman) writes:

>Any M&M players out there in NetLand want to tell us if the game designers
>were Star Trek buffs?

And isn't there a "Jean-Luc" who operates one of the town-to-town teleporters
who asks you to "make it so?"

>-shane

Bill

--
William Brooks			UUCP: sun!sundc!potomac!wbrooks
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  wbrooks@potomac.ads.com

favorini-francis@cs.yale.edu (Francis Favorini) (11/29/90)

In article <2496@cod.NOSC.MIL> deichman@cod.nosc.mil.UUCP (Shane D. Deichman) writes:
>Any M&M players out there in NetLand want to tell us if the game designers
>were Star Trek buffs?

Apparently so.  The original Star Trek, which used to be on 3 times a day,
has become scarce on Connecticut air waves, so my Trek trivia is a liitle
rusty.  The hint re: Whom Gods Destroy seems to have worked.  At least
partially.  Og got his sight back, but then mumbled something about a
prisoner in Doom.  "He has your sight."  Then the idols vanished.  Well,
I'm not blind, and I released the standard prisoner from Doom, but nothing
special happened.  Yeah, I know about the Scales of Judgment.  Unless their
is a prisoner at the center of the Endless Spiral which I can't get into
yet (the center).  Apparently the Canine has the key.  I haven't found any
canine, and I've been just about everywhere.  Also can't find Gold msgs 3 & 9
which makes me think I've missed a few places.  Grumble.
  But back to the subject at hand.  Star Trek references.  In Doom there is
a message: "For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky." The name of
an ST episode.  Also one of the hooded figure's colors is Dilithium white.
Anyone spot any other refs.

Francis Favorini					favorini@cs.yale.edu
							favorini@yalecs.bitnet
							...!yale!favorini

schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent William Schorsch) (11/30/90)

Beware, there is a M&M spoiler ahead...

   I'm not sure if they were Trek fans, the correct response is :
"QUEEN to Kings level 1"...

jonn@microsoft.UUCP (Jon NEWMAN) (12/06/90)

I seem to remember that "Queen to Queens Level 3" is a challenge password
in an episode of Star Trek, when Shatner-Kirk beams down to an insane
asylum and sets up this password so that no one can impersonate him.
I don't have Might & Magic, so I don't know if this helps -- also, I
don't remember the countersign.  That vague enough for you?

Spoilers follow: