[comp.sys.mac.games] SimEarth and industrial fish?

ebert@arisia.Xerox.COM (Robert Ebert) (12/07/90)

Has anyone been able to evolve fish into the industrial revolution in
SimEarth?  I attempted to do this once with the monolith, and the game
"unexpectedly quit".  When I later got them to evolve more naturally,
the game also unexpectedly quit.  It's only crashed on me twice, and both
times it was immediately after moving fish into the industrial era.

The "more natural" time I got intelligent fish was after I got my
intelligent reptiles to go into exodus, after seriously trashing the
planet.  (The oceans boiled away, they nuked all the land first, and
then entire planet was lifeless rock after they left...)  Anyway,
to get more life, I lobbed a bunch of ice meteors onto the planet,
which unfortunately covered it with water totally, and I couldn't
get the oceans to boil away in the geologic age... so, let the planet
cool so that ice caps form, and the fish evolved!

Anyway, I've got the planet saved and I'll be calling Maxis, but I was
wondering if anyone else had gotten industrial fish on an ocean planet.

			--Bob

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) (12/08/90)

ebert@arisia.Xerox.COM (Robert Ebert) writes:

>Has anyone been able to evolve fish into the industrial revolution in
>SimEarth?  I attempted to do this once with the monolith, and the game
>"unexpectedly quit".  When I later got them to evolve more naturally,
>the game also unexpectedly quit.  It's only crashed on me twice, and both
>times it was immediately after moving fish into the industrial era.

According to the Manual, fire and tools are needed for anything higher
than the bronze age (or so) so, industrial fish won't happen.

But there are so many hiden weirdities in the game that I wouldn't
be surprised...

You got crashes? What system? I have it on a IIsi with 6.0.7 and MF and
no problems...

>			--Bob

-Andy

--
Andy J. Williams     Snail: RFD 1 #268           echo "Hello."
Consultant Guy              Lebanon NH, 03766    setenv $name="Inigo_Montoya"

jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) (12/10/90)

In article <14726@arisia.Xerox.COM> ebert@arisia.UUCP (Bob Ebert) writes:
>Has anyone been able to evolve fish into the industrial revolution in
>SimEarth?  I attempted to do this once with the monolith, and the game
>"unexpectedly quit".  When I later got them to evolve more naturally,
>the game also unexpectedly quit.  It's only crashed on me twice, and both
>times it was immediately after moving fish into the industrial era.
  My sentient fish made it to Exodus!!  I don't know how they managed to avoid
using fire, but they certianly left.  I used the monolith to get them to
acheive intelligence, and they accidently used the monolith again and put them
into the industrial revolution.  Then they took off!!  They managed to
colonize the planet, even land and acheived Exodus faster than any other
species I have played with.  In fact, those suckers breed so fast that I had
to nuke the last 300 million of the planet to get them all to leave and the
time scales to switch back to a faster rate.

  On another note, I have some problems of my own.  Whenever trichords
evolve on my planet (game) the computer immediately crashes.  The computer
will lock up either way of evolution - natural or via monolith.  I like
trichords and I can't have them evolve!!
  The other problem (not really a big problem) I have is concerning the
various suggestions given by Maxis in the manual.  Has any ever played "bumper
continents" like they suggest?  I can't get any continent to move.  If I
set the drift really high, they wander off on their own.  I also can't get
mountains to spring up by setting off earthquakes to smash into each other.
Has any one had some success with these suggestions?  If so, how?

|     John Taggart Gorman Jr.    | "I'm a no rust build up man myself."
|                                |          -Christian Slater
| jtgorman@caslon.cs.arizona.edu |             in 'Heathers'

c60b-4av@web-4f.berkeley.edu (Gary Arnold) (12/10/90)

Okay, I guess I'll have to throw in my two SimCents in...
I couldn't get fish to evolve intelligence.  After reading one od the first
posts about industrial fish (is that a rock group? :-), I tried using the
monolith to make them evolve intelligence.  They did, but the computer
crashed as soon as the "evolution music" stopped.
I have had trichords evolve all the way to exodus with no problem.  As a
matter of fact, trichords and carniferns almost always evolve for me, and
they usually make it to a pretty high IQ before mammals or dinosaurs overrun
them.
And now for my question:  After fiddling with the temperature and CO2
controls, I was finally able to get the air temp and CO2 lines to stay
flat in the history window, but every now and then, air temp would spike
up about half a grid division, with no change in CO2 or any other factor
that I could find.  The spikes would occur at regular intervals.  Later,
I had my CO2 level dipping down regularly for no apparent reason.
Anyone else had this happen to them, or know why it might be
happening?

Gary Arnold                          Disclaimer: Temporary insanity
c60b-4av@WEB.berkeley.edu