[comp.sys.mac.games] Wizardry II and game sequels in general

goodrum@unccvax.uncc.edu (Cloyd Goodrum) (12/07/90)

	I have been thinking about getting Wizardry II, but I have never played
Wizardry. Will this hamper my enjoyment of Wizardry II?
	I've never purchased any sequels to games at all.  In general, can a
sequel to a game be enjoyed if you haven't played the original?

Cloyd Goodrum III

--
Cloyd Goodrum III                        " I've never held an ocean
UNCC Computer Science Department           In the palm of my hand    "

deichman@cod.NOSC.MIL (Shane D. Deichman) (12/07/90)

In article <2998@unccvax.uncc.edu> goodrum@unccvax.uncc.edu (Cloyd Goodrum) writes:

>	I have been thinking about getting Wizardry II, but I have never played
>Wizardry. Will this hamper my enjoyment of Wizardry II?
>	I've never purchased any sequels to games at all.  In general, can a
>sequel to a game be enjoyed if you haven't played the original?
>

>Cloyd Goodrum III

***** DANGER DANGER DANGER DANGER DANGER DANGER DANGER DANGER *****

Do NOT buy Wizardry II if you do not already have Wizardry.  The nice
and considerate marketers/advertisers who make Wizardry readily available
for the eager consumer neglect to point out that you can NOT create new
characters in Wiz II!  Rather, you need to transfer your already existing
characters from Wiz I to Wiz II....  (In Wiz II, if you try to enter the
"Training" area, you are told that the Masters of Training are out on a
quest and are summarily referred to Wiz I....

A dirty trick, in my estimation....

(fortunately, I already had Wiz I, but imagine the surprise of those
who don't.....)

-shane

"the Ayatollah of Rock-and-Rollah"

dranney@informix.com (David Ranney) (12/08/90)

In article <2998@unccvax.uncc.edu> goodrum@unccvax.uncc.edu (Cloyd Goodrum) writes:

>	I have been thinking about getting Wizardry II, but I have never played
>Wizardry. Will this hamper my enjoyment of Wizardry II?
>	I've never purchased any sequels to games at all.  In general, can a
>sequel to a game be enjoyed if you haven't played the original?
>

>Cloyd Goodrum III

Yes, not having PROVING GROUNDS OF THE MAD OVERLORD (Wizardry I) will hamper
your enjoyment of KNIGHT OF DIAMONDS (Wizardry II) because you won't be
able to play it.

Wiz2 is a strict sequel of Wiz1.  You need to create and build characters on
Wiz1 first.

I do, however, highly reccommend it.  As primitive as the interface looks, it
still holds up very well after all these years.

|  David Ranney {uunet | pyramid}!infmx!dranney                                |
|  Informix doesn't pay me enough to write their opinions for them.            |

pcalvert@economics.adelaide.edu.au (12/10/90)

In article <2998@unccvax.uncc.edu>, goodrum@unccvax.uncc.edu (Cloyd Goodrum) writes:

> 	I have been thinking about getting Wizardry II, but I have never played
> Wizardry. Will this hamper my enjoyment of Wizardry II?

> Cloyd Goodrum III
>
> --
> Cloyd Goodrum III                        " I've never held an ocean
> UNCC Computer Science Department           In the palm of my hand    "
> Charlotte, N.C.                             -- Nick Drake

Wizardry II cannot be played from scratch.
You must first start your characters in the proving ground (Wiz I) before
transferring them to Wiz II.
Wiz II tells you this as well and suggests that your characters are at least
13th level before tranferring them across.

Many sequels contain information that refers to a previous game number.
While in many instances playing the games in sequence is not necessary,
it can help. eg: the Ultima series.

As for Wiz II, start with Wiz I or you won't be able to create characters.

							... sage
Pete Calvert       Dept. of Commerce     University of Adelaide, South Australia