[comp.sys.mac.games] Help! I'm so confyoozd!!!

st883250@pip.cc.brandeis.edu (Matthew J. Millheiser) (12/13/90)

OK, my girlfriend's finally consented into buying me a Mac Game for t
Chanukkah, and I'm looking for something really worth getting.
   Does anyone have any suggestions? The last computer game I bought was
Pirates (which I love), but I'm looking for a really good Role-Playing
Game or something like Ultima. (I gotta Mac SE BTW) I've seen a lot
of posts about Might and Magic? Is it worth it?

I need help ladies and gentlemen!!!! Anything would be really **really**
appreciated.

            --Matt Millheiser

hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) (12/14/90)

[st883250@pip.cc.brandeis.edu (Matthew J. Millheiser) writes:]
[] OK, my girlfriend's finally consented into buying me a Mac Game for t
[] Chanukkah, and I'm looking for something really worth getting.
[]    Does anyone have any suggestions? The last computer game I bought was
[] Pirates (which I love), but I'm looking for a really good Role-Playing
[] Game or something like Ultima. (I gotta Mac SE BTW) I've seen a lot
[] of posts about Might and Magic? Is it worth it?

can't comment on the rest, haven't tried them, but there's this frpg
called NetHack which you can get via anon-ftp from linc.cis.upenn.edu
pub/NH3.0/mac and which is addictive.  overtime, the game gets more
interesting and upgrades are free (as is the game itself)!

for the cognizetti, the long-awaited final 3.0 patchlevel will be
released shortly after the beginning of the new year.  then the game
should appear _everywhere_ as 3.0i pl10.

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu

252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) (12/14/90)

hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) writes:

>can't comment on the rest, haven't tried them, but there's this frpg
>called NetHack which you can get via anon-ftp from linc.cis.upenn.edu
>pub/NH3.0/mac and which is addictive.  overtime, the game gets more
>interesting and upgrades are free (as is the game itself)!

>for the cognizetti, the long-awaited final 3.0 patchlevel will be
>released shortly after the beginning of the new year.  then the game
>should appear _everywhere_ as 3.0i pl10.

I second the recommendation!  Ok, so what if it is character based, but even
so, the amount of detail is really impressive!

What exactly is so long awaited about this next patch?  I've got 3.0i pl 9,
can you tell me what improvements from 9 to 10 are?  Do you know the authors
of the mac version [or are you the 'Dave' in the about box]?  I'd like to see
the key combinations of the commands appear next to the menu commands.  It would
sure beat having to go the help screens all the time.  Actually, on my copy,
I whipped out ResEdit and added what I could find to the menu commands, like
"Quaff Potion [q]".  Problem is, not all the commands are simple one letter
jobs so it can look pretty ugly.  Maybe a custom MDEF is in order.  I also
thought about asking for the source so I could put up a monster palette, so when
an 'S' appeared, a Snake icon would appear in the monster palette/icon dock;
but then I thought about drawing all those icons!

 mike gleason                                "How I've waited for you to come
 252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu                            I've been here all alone
                                  Now that you've arrived, please stay awhile
       And I promise not to keep you long... I'll keep you forever" -- Slayer