[comp.sys.mac.games] Pararena bugs?

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (12/15/90)

Is the author oif Pararena on the net?

I downloaded this program from SUMEX, and found it interesteding.  I
was considering registering it, but I noticed this bug where the
screen fills up with garbage and gets progressively worse every time I
pick up a ball.  This happens whether I'm in 1-bit or 8-bit mode, and
I only run the program in UNIfinder.

Anyone else had these problems?

System 6.0.5, Mac II w/PMMU 5MB ram, 8-bit color card.

jas
Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu   DELPHI: JSULLIVAN	| University of Southern California

inm501@csc.anu.edu.au (12/15/90)

In article <16049@venera.isi.edu>, jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:

> Is the author oif Pararena on the net?
>
> I downloaded this program from SUMEX, and found it interesteding.  I
> was considering registering it, but I noticed this bug where the
> screen fills up with garbage and gets progressively worse every time I
> pick up a ball.  This happens whether I'm in 1-bit or 8-bit mode, and
> I only run the program in UNIfinder.
>
> Anyone else had these problems?
>
> System 6.0.5, Mac II w/PMMU 5MB ram, 8-bit color card.
>
> jas
> --
> Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
> jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
> jas@isi.edu   DELPHI: JSULLIVAN	| University of Southern California

	May be you miss it.  Somewhere assiociated with the game, it says
something like:  Unless you pay the shareware fee, things could go funny with
the game.  Hope that's your problem!

Ida

perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (William Perez) (12/16/90)

Version 3.0 of Pararena is on America Online and it has many bug fixes
such as a problem with high scores.  My problem is with Sound Manager 7.0
that's on system 6.0.7.  Pararena (the one I got from Sumex) crashes on
regular Finder whenever a sound plays but not on Multifinder. I wonder
if that's been taken care of.  The garbage on screen you're talking about
sounds like a problem I had.  If you have a screen saver running, whenever
you go to the upper right hand corner with the mouse, the screen sleeps and
the game doesn't redraw itself properly.  Solution, turn off screen saver
or don't allow a 'hot corner' like Pyro 4.0 has (the screen then will only
sleep upon time limit, FKEY, or from regular Finder's sleep option under
Special).  I'm waiting for my free hour to download it.  I'm gonna mail
Soft Dorothy's author in the meantime.  Maybe someone else will post it
to Info-Mac!

There's a new version of Glypha also, 3.0 (their version of Joust).
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<>William Perez           <>  Internet:        perez@andromeda.rutgers.edu  <>
<>RPO 0043 POBox 5063     <>  America Online:  WilliWonka                   <>
<>New Brunswick, NJ 08903 <>                                                <>
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (12/17/90)

In article <16049@venera.isi.edu>, jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:
> Is the author oif Pararena on the net?

Hello, yes.

> I downloaded this program from SUMEX, and found it interesteding.  I
> was considering registering it, but I noticed this bug where the
> screen fills up with garbage and gets progressively worse every time I
> pick up a ball.  This happens whether I'm in 1-bit or 8-bit mode, and
> I only run the program in UNIfinder.
>
> Anyone else had these problems?
>
> System 6.0.5, Mac II w/PMMU 5MB ram, 8-bit color card.
>
> jas

Pararena 1.2 has been out on AOL for a month or so now and I think CI$ just got
a copy online.  Pararena 1.2 has fixed that bug as well as a dozen others
(whoops! :)).  It runs quicker as well.

: ==== :*                  **  And watching the stars go on at night, **
:  === :*   Soft Dorothy   **  I'd like to see just one of them die.. **