[comp.sys.mac.games] Balance of Power 1990 Help wanted

gphg1125@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Glenn P Hoetker) (12/12/90)

I just got Balance of Power as an early X-mas gift and have some questions
I hope someone can answer.  I'm still using Beginner mode, but love the
game already (even if it is odd to still see EAST germany.)

1) The USSR is inclined to invade Iran which gives it a huge number of
points.  Is there anything I can do to stop this?

2) Any chance at all of toppling Nicaragua?

That's it, but I'd be happy to hear of general stategies for success people
have used.  Thanks in advance

Glenn Hoetker
g-hoetker@uiuc.edu

--
Glenn Hoetker
University of Illinois, Graduate School of Library and Information Science

thornley@cs.umn.edu (David H. Thornley) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec12.150403.16514@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> gphg1125@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Glenn P Hoetker) writes:
>I just got Balance of Power as an early X-mas gift and have some questions
>I hope someone can answer.  I'm still using Beginner mode, but love the
>game already (even if it is odd to still see EAST germany.)
>
>1) The USSR is inclined to invade Iran which gives it a huge number of
>points.  Is there anything I can do to stop this?

In my experience, not really.  I join in.  That way I have troops in the
area, too, and get some influence with the new regime.

>2) Any chance at all of toppling Nicaragua?

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  I'm not sure why or why not.

>That's it, but I'd be happy to hear of general stategies for success people
>have used.  Thanks in advance

Caveat:  When I play, I start WWIII a lot.  So you might not want to
listen to me.

DHT

kwinkler@pbs.org (Ken Winkler) (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec12.174826.9675@cs.umn.edu>, thornley@cs.umn.edu (David H. Thornley) writes:

> Caveat:  When I play, I start WWIII a lot.  So you might not want to
> listen to me.

You know, I've had the older version of that game for awhile now, and I had to
give it up.  If you blow up the world, you lose.  If the COMPUTER blows up the
world, YOU lose.  You either give in, or you lose.  The philosophical implica-
tions of this game on world politics are just tooooo depressing.

							----Ken

* "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood!" ---FR      *     Television      *
* "Get away from me with that spatula, Fred!" ---Mrs. FR *    worth watching   *