[comp.sys.mac.games] Wizardry Tricks

ingram@milton.u.washington.edu (Douglas Ingram) (12/12/90)

Ok,
	Here are some of the less obvious tricks/bugs I've worked out with
Wizardry for the Mac.

1)  The biggie is that if you use up (or "break") an item in combat (usually
    I use a potion) and if that item is not at the end of your equipment list,
    then whichever item IS at the end of your list is duplicated.  For
    example:

	Start with:      		End with:
		Use Item 4 in combat -->
	1) Long Sword			1) Long Sword
	2) Plate Mail			2) Plate Mail
	3) Dios Potion			3) Dios Potion
	4) Dios Potion			4) Armor of Lords
	5) Armor of Lords		5) Armor of Lords

	Note that EQUIPPED items can be duplicated...thus you CAN be wearing
multiple suits of armor at once.  You won't get the AC benefits for all of
them, however, until you REMOVE one of the sets...so you can be wearing as
many as 7 suits of armor at once.  Wielding extra weapons doesn't seem to
augment damage.

	As a side note, one of my only gripes about the game is that when
you kill a monster, it doesn't list how many times you hit and for how much
damage like other versions of Wiz.  I was really put off by this, but of
course, I got over it.

2)  If you come back up and have Werdna's Amulet in the Swag Bag, the computer
    won't catch it.  This means you can bring up low-level characters by
    fooling the computer into thinking THEY recovered the amulet!  Of course,
    using (1), you can bring up SEVERAL amulets, one at a time...

3)  The special items I found were:  Armor of Lords, Murasama Blade, Blade
    Cuisinart, Dagger of Thieves...I think that is all.  The Dagger of
    Thieves converts any thief (even of neutral alignment) into a Ninja
    of the same level!  This was great!  Armor of Lords gives regeneration,
    and wearing 7 of them gives +7 hp per round.

----

	I think that is about everything big that I found.  Of course, I
know where most of the steps are, how to get around Murphy's Ghosts, but I
was never able to find out if all the statuettes and keys ever gained the
party anything.  Did anyone work all of this out?

Doug Ingram / ingram@u.washington.edu / ingram@uwaphast.bitnet / "Carpe Datum."

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (12/13/90)

In article <12851@milton.u.washington.edu> ingram@milton.u.washington.edu (Douglas Ingram) writes:
>Ok,
>	Here are some of the less obvious tricks/bugs I've worked out with
>Wizardry for the Mac.
>
>1)  The biggie is that if you use up (or "break") an item in combat (usually
>    I use a potion) and if that item is not at the end of your equipment list,
>    then whichever item IS at the end of your list is duplicated.  For
>    example:
>
>	Start with:      		End with:
>		Use Item 4 in combat -->
>	1) Long Sword			1) Long Sword
>	2) Plate Mail			2) Plate Mail
>	3) Dios Potion			3) Dios Potion
>	4) Dios Potion			4) Armor of Lords
>	5) Armor of Lords		5) Armor of Lords
>
>	Note that EQUIPPED items can be duplicated...thus you CAN be wearing
>multiple suits of armor at once.  You won't get the AC benefits for all of
>them, however, until you REMOVE one of the sets...so you can be wearing as
>many as 7 suits of armor at once.  Wielding extra weapons doesn't seem to
>augment damage.

That is a pretty interesting trick.  I never did find that one.  However,
at least with the very early version of Wizardry I (and maybe with the later
ones as well), there is an even easier way to duplicate items.

If you put things in the swag bag, and then restore the characters, the swag
bag is not changed.  This means that you can take a character with Armor of
Lords, put the armor in the swag bag, restore the characters, and voila, the
character still has the Armor of Lords, and there is one in the swag bag as
well.  Repeat ad nauseum for every interesting item you find -- even the
amulet, if you wish to train characters fast.  Of course, this method doesn't
equip the extra armor for the characters.

Is there anyone out there who has compiled a list of all the special types
of armor and weapons, and what special powers they have?  Some of the armor
and weapons seem to have special powers, but it's not very obvious what they
do.  The Dagger of Thievery WAS obvious, of course.

Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!oiscola!dbarnhar

--
Dave Barnhart
NCR Cooperative Computing Systems Division
3245 Platt Springs Rd.
West Columbia, SC  29169    email: uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!oiscola!dbarnhar

252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) (12/14/90)

I haven't seen the most important trick of all... WizEdit.  Instead of cheating
the hard way like y'all, you can just get this and make it even easier.  The
most impressive thing about it (to me) is that you can directly edit the
dungeons and print out maps.  It's really nice to be able to remove or erect
walls anywhere you want.  You could also just pick out what items you wanted
from a list of all of them.  Please don't ask me for a copy of it, because
due to weird circumstances, I can't upload to my account (only download, if
you give a shit, it's because the terminal server is stripping out stuff it
shouldn't be on input).

 mike gleason                                "How I've waited for you to come
 252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu                            I've been here all alone
                                  Now that you've arrived, please stay awhile
       And I promise not to keep you long... I'll keep you forever" -- Slayer

julius@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Julius C. Yang) (12/14/90)

I would also be interested in a list of all special wizardry objects.
I've been playing on and off and have only found one
really, really good item...the Murasama blade, which once did 276 points
for my 18th level samurai in one round.  Unfortunately, I then used it, and
turned my samurai into a 19th level, holding a broken item.  Feh.

julius@tybalt.caltech.edu

Makanito  -- "the professors perish!"

tel@adimail.UUCP (Terry Monks) (12/15/90)

In article <12851@milton.u.washington.edu>, ingram@milton.u.washington.edu (Douglas Ingram) writes:
> Ok,
> 	Here are some of the less obvious tricks/bugs I've worked out with
> Wizardry for the Mac.

Sorry to disappoint everyone, but these bugs and tricks have been eliminated in the
version of Wizardry (both scenarios) that are currently on sale. At least, we think so...

--
Terry Monks        Automata Design Inc    (703) 472-9400

In article <252u3129.661158995@fergvax>, 252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) writes:
> I haven't seen the most important trick of all... WizEdit.  Instead of cheating
> the hard way like y'all, you can just get this and make it even easier.  The

You may find that WizEdit no longer works...I am pretty sure it does not work with
Wizardry II, otherwise I would have used it in doing the port!

--
Terry Monks        Automata Design Inc    (703) 472-9400

es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik Warren Selberg) (12/15/90)

here's my .02:

first off, when the wand runs out, and it copies the next available
item, on my version of Wiz it DOES equip as well as copy... so I had
a few guys with a few Armor or Lords and a couple Shields of Defense.

Special items (Wiz I):
Armor of Lords: Lords only, regenerates 1 HP/round combat or move
Murasama Blade: samurai, but I don't quite know what it does.
Dagger of Thievery: turns the average, ordinary thief into the
	average, ordinary ninja of the same level.  NOTE: the XP isn't
	changed, so if you have a high level thief like mine, you'll
	need a few million XP for the next level.

(Wiz II):
Amulet of Skill: has a special power... damned if I know what it is.
KOD's <x>: will cast some random spell
	(armor is like Lords, but +7 HP instead of 1)
Hrathnir (KOD's sword): casts some random spell
Coin of Power: turns a dude into a priest.
Crystal: on a certain level, it will show a map.

that's for me... anything else?

                          ...they call me fluppie...
\ ARPA: es2q@andrew.cmu.edu   Fido: 129/107  BBS: Mac @ Night (412) 268-5534 /
 \   GEnie: E.SELBERG  Delphi: LORDERIK  CIS: 71470,2127  MacList: 6009/1   /

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (12/15/90)

It's been a long time since I played Wizardry on the Mac so I dug out my notes
and looked at the items I thought were interesting.

In article <AbOGArm00WB909m1J9@andrew.cmu.edu> es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik Warren Selberg) writes:
>Special items (Wiz I):
>Armor of Lords: Lords only, regenerates 1 HP/round combat or move

>Murasama Blade: samurai, but I don't quite know what it does.
It also increments you strength when you invoke the power.  It does some
pretty good damage.

>Dagger of Thievery: turns the average, ordinary thief into the
>	average, ordinary ninja of the same level.  NOTE: the XP isn't
>	changed, so if you have a high level thief like mine, you'll
>	need a few million XP for the next level.

>Almost forgot --
>Wiz I:  Shuriken, for ninjas... also not sure what it does.
This one also increments your hit points.

I seem to remember being able to invoke the power and increment attributes
more than once but I might have been duplicating items or playing some other
trick.

Back when the game came out, there wasn't a WizEdit (or whatever it's called)
so I used FEdit to look through the Scenario file.  The hex seemed to indicate
that the following items had some sort of special property:  Ring of Movement,
Ring of Dispelling, Dagger of Thievery, Armor of Lords, Werdna's Amulet,
Murasama Blade, Shuriken, Mace of Snakes, Wand of Conflagration, Armor of
Freon, Rod of Silence, Slayre of Dragons, Slayer of Weres, and Masher of Mages.

Some of these are easy to figure out (they invoke powers, cast spells, or
work good against certain monsters) but I never figured out what some of these
did.  Besides these items, there's a whole bunch of other normal items that
are great (e.g. - Silver Gloves, Shield of Defense, Ring of Healing, ...) and
some items that can only be used by evil characters.  (I never got around to
taking an evil party down so I don't know what these do.)

A lot of these items are very rare so I was glad that you could duplicate
stuff.  I'll have to get a copy of this WizEdit thing and see if I missed
anything before going on to Wizardry II.

BTW, is there a version of Wizardry I that works on all Macs?

+++
Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 215 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616

gck6910@cec2.wustl.edu (Geoffrey Charles Kinnel) (12/15/90)

Regarding Wiz I.  I have had it since, oh, 1987 or so and have developed
charcters in the 8-13 level range.  I have as yet been unable to find out
how to get to level 10.  If I try a malor spell I get bounced.  Is there a
kind soul out there who could give a hint, since I have had renewed interest
in Wizardry with the current thread.

Thanks to any and all,
Geoff

gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) (12/17/90)

	To get down to level 10, you have to fall down a trapdoor.  As far as
I know, there is only one trapdoor.

	More spoilers ahead....

	It's on level 9.

	More spoilers ahead....

	When you come out of the Elevator on level 9, the trapdoor is in the
room that is ahead and to your left.

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (12/18/90)

In article <AbOGArm00WB909m1J9@andrew.cmu.edu> es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik Warren Selberg) writes:

>Special items (Wiz I):
>Armor of Lords: Lords only, regenerates 1 HP/round combat or move
>Murasama Blade: samurai, but I don't quite know what it does.
>Dagger of Thievery: turns the average, ordinary thief into the
>	average, ordinary ninja of the same level.  NOTE: the XP isn't
>	changed, so if you have a high level thief like mine, you'll
>	need a few million XP for the next level.

As long as you meet a few criteria, the few million XP needed are no problem.
If you don't mind losing one level temporarily, and the thief you convert knows
mage spells, just cast a Mahaman.  He will lose one experience level, but he
will now have enough points to advance normally.  Since he needs only ~500,000
XP for a new level, it sure beats having to get zillions of points for the next
level.

Of course, as mentioned by Mr. Terry Monks, this might also have been
eliminated in the most recent version.  My version is very old.

In article <8062@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) writes:

>BTW, is there a version of Wizardry I that works on all Macs?

That's a very good question.  I had to have someone modify my old version (ran
on 512K Mac unenhanced) so that it would work on my IIcx.  It must have been
pretty well written, because it still works.  However the copy-protection on
that version was not so well written -- it caused the IIcx to crash.  So
someone modified the copy-protection for me so that it no longer required the
master disk.  However, since neither he nor I knew exactly what to do, the
patched version still requires a floppy (any floppy will do) in the internal
drive.  I have been successfully using that version on a IIcx for about a year
or so now.  Since I got it to work, I never really considered upgrading, but
now that the new scenario is out, I might just get both.  It would be nice to
have a newer version of Wizardry I, but if the tricks wouldn't work anymore,
it wouldn't be quite as fun :-).

iron@imag.imag.fr (Francois Menneteau) (12/18/90)

In article <324@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM> dbarnhar@oiscola.UUCP (David C. Barnhart II) writes:

>mage spells, just cast a Mahaman.  He will lose one experience level, but he

Excepted by testing them, is there a way to find out the function of each
spell ?
--
Francois Menneteau ()   __|||||__   () "... I had their lives in my hands
================== ()    /O   O\    () their fate their fortune in my visions

tel@adimail.UUCP (Terry Monks) (12/18/90)

In article <8062@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) writes:

> BTW, is there a version of Wizardry I that works on all Macs?

Yes, the current version of Wizardry I and II work on everything all Macs after
and including the 512KE. So I suppose I should have said...No, the current version
does not work on the  128k.

--
Terry Monks        Automata Design Inc    (703) 472-9400

es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik Warren Selberg) (12/19/90)

um... I don't think you got the point... if you convert a high-level
thief, the ninja has the same level.  Only problem is that ninja's
need more XP for the next level than do thieves, so if my thief only
needed say 200,000 for the next level, a ninja might need a 2,000,000.
Since you only have so many XP, you'll just have to wait a while for
the next level -- it's not a matter of XPs, just not having them.

gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) (12/19/90)

iron@imag.imag.fr (Francois Menneteau) writes:

>In article <324@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM> dbarnhar@oiscola.UUCP (David C. Barnhart II) writes:
>>
>>mage spells, just cast a Mahaman.  He will lose one experience level, but he

>Excepted by testing them, is there a way to find out the function of each
>spell ?

	Errr...read the manual?

dbarnhar@oiscola.Columbia.NCR.COM (12/19/90)

In article <EbPbmU_00WB7IcFkkZ@andrew.cmu.edu> es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik Warren Selberg) writes:
>um... I don't think you got the point... if you convert a high-level
>thief, the ninja has the same level.  Only problem is that ninja's
>need more XP for the next level than do thieves, so if my thief only
>needed say 200,000 for the next level, a ninja might need a 2,000,000.
>Since you only have so many XP, you'll just have to wait a while for
>the next level -- it's not a matter of XPs, just not having them.

Lets try one more time, and try it real slow so you catch on, OK?  I did indeed
get the point.  I have tried this several times.  If you convert a high level
thief to a ninja and then try to train him, it will say you need something like
5,000,000 XP to get the next level.  Now, take this same ninja (if he can cast
mage spells) and cast a Mahaman in the next combat.  If he was previously level
30, he will now be level 29 or 28, I don't remember which.  Now take him to
training, and he will immediately gain one level back.  Now he WILL have enough
XP to train easily.  This trick increased the XP from the previous example by
about 4,000,000 or so.  This is probably a bug in the early version that I
have, but it works nonetheless.  Now he can train normally.  I believe a ninja
needs about 500,000 XP per level.

If this doesn't work in the new version, I'm sorry it's been removed :).
Please don't anyone else post and tell me I don't understand.  If YOU don't
understand how the above works, please email me and I'll be glad to explain it
to you.

tel@adimail.UUCP (Terry Monks) (12/19/90)

In article <16628@imag.imag.fr>, iron@imag.imag.fr (Francois Menneteau) writes:
> Excepted by testing them, is there a way to find out the function of each
> spell ?

 Yes, BUY the game and you get documentation to tell you what the spells do.

--
Terry Monks        Automata Design Inc    (703) 472-9400

es2q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Erik Warren Selberg) (12/21/90)

ah... I see.  I didn't think that casting a mahaman _incresed_ the XP,
I just thought that it would set it back a level and subtract off so
many XP's (that's how I would have programmed the thing).  Sorry for
the hastle et al.