[comp.sys.mac.games] Solarian Tips

fore@athena.cs.uga.edu (Howard Fore) (12/19/90)

Does anybody have any tips on playing Solarian? All my coworkers (and I) are
addicted to the game and have no trouble playing but we can't catch some of the presents in the higher screens (i.e. the ones that drift down and then fly back
up off the top of the screen and the ones that fly in a seemingly random,
taunting pattern then disappear.).  Any suggestions on this or other general
hints on the game?

Howard Fore   fore@athena.cs.uga.edu    (128.192.4.49)

fxajo@acad3.alaska.edu (12/19/90)

In article <EbPd66m00WB_4eSkkJ@andrew.cmu.edu>, jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) writes:

>    It's been my experience that the ones that drop down and then shoot off the
> screen are supposed to do that.  Give up on them.  The instructions speak of
> presents getting harder to catch and I think these are impossible.

 I'm not so sure. I have had them dip, and finally, after running away, drop
down to me. Besides, the instructions say that while some may not be useful,
(i.e. Gray Blank or Red Bomb) that ALL can be captured.

>    I have caught the taunting presents every once in a while by shooting
> all but one harmless object and waiting a long time.  I think you may have to
> trade off the bonus points for the present so remember the colors and decide if
> it's worth it.

  You have to line up the little blue triangle  with the present in order for
it to come further down. Then, as it swings back in forth (and you following
with cunning dexterity) it will swing down into you.

jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) (12/19/90)

   It's been my experience that the ones that drop down and then shoot off the
screen are supposed to do that.  Give up on them.  The instructions speak of
presents getting harder to catch and I think these are impossible.

   I have caught the taunting presents every once in a while by shooting
all but one harmless object and waiting a long time.  I think you may have to
trade off the bonus points for the present so remember the colors and decide if
it's worth it.

   While we're on Solarian, has anyone beaten the game?!!  I've gotten to the
"Final Round" (level 16, 17 or so) and got beaten like a dog.  Any hints??
Jon Pace
5 month and counting

darweesh@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Michael Darweesh) (12/19/90)

The presents that seem to just fly away...there's a way to get them.
I offer just this one hint....Try moving out from under them and observe
what happens.

As for the apparently random movement of the later presents, well, something
tells me that Ben Haller (Solarian II author) has implemented a little trick
with those as well although I haven't totally figured those wacko presents out
YET...

-Mike Darweesh
weesh@crd.ge.com

ps. Look for my new Shareware game- Bonk...coming to an archive near you.

hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) (12/19/90)

[darweesh@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Michael Darweesh) writes:]
[] The presents that seem to just fly away...there's a way to get them.
[] I offer just this one hint....Try moving out from under them and observe
[] what happens.

this may just be my imagination but ... those presents that just float
around and taunt you into trying to catch them can be lured down.

the technique i use is to center the solarian ship at midscreen and then
rapidly wiggle the cursor from the left end to the right end of the screen
and back such that the solarian ship hardly moves at all from center screen.
the presents seem to get closer and closer and then in a mad dive they lunge
at the ship, Yesss!

i also agree that Haller is wacko!!! and so there must be a way to lure
those presents that at first appear to be headed downward and then have a
change of heart.  every time i think i have a clue (or formula) then a
present comes along that doesn't follow the rules!  it may be that some of
these presents won't be lured no matter what you do just like some presents
are null and void (dingy gray ones).  ah Haa!

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu

"how do you think he does it?  i don't know.  what makes him so good?"

lorner@ecst.csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) (12/20/90)

In article <HAIRSTON.90Dec19101752@henry.ece.cmu.edu> hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) writes:
>i also agree that Haller is wacko!!! and so there must be a way to lure
>those presents that at first appear to be headed downward and then have a
>change of heart.  every time i think i have a clue (or formula) then a
>present comes along that doesn't follow the rules!  it may be that some of
>these presents won't be lured no matter what you do just like some presents
>are null and void (dingy gray ones).  ah Haa!

Those presents seem to fly up only if you stand under them.  So, if you stand
way to the side of them until the last possible moment when you then sweep
from the side to grab it before it falls off the bottom of the screen, you'll
get them...

        ...sometimes.

--
Lance M Orner           | To get a hold of me --
  Computer Engineering  |   --from Internet:        lorner@ecst.csuchico.edu

barry@playfair.Stanford.EDU (Barrett P. Eynon) (12/20/90)

In article <HAIRSTON.90Dec19101752@henry.ece.cmu.edu> hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) writes:
>[darweesh@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Michael Darweesh) writes:]
>[] The presents that seem to just fly away...there's a way to get them.
>[] I offer just this one hint....Try moving out from under them and observe
>[] what happens.
>[...]
>i also agree that Haller is wacko!!! and so there must be a way to lure
>those presents that at first appear to be headed downward and then have a
>change of heart.

I think it has to do with whether your fire button is down when the present
crosses a vertical line through your ship position. Stop shooting after
the present is dropped, and it will not fly up, at least that is my current
model for how I catch them.

I haven't gotten the teasers except by being extremely patient, but the
suggestions made here have given me new hope, time to pull Solarian out
and give it a few more whacks. BTW, I have version 2.03. Anyone spotted
anything newer?

Cheers.
--
Barry Eynon
barry@playfair.stanford.edu

darweesh@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Michael Darweesh) (12/20/90)

In article <1357@helens.Stanford.EDU> barry@playfair.Stanford.EDU (Barrett P. Eynon) writes:
>BTW, I have version 2.03. Anyone spotted anything newer?

So far Solarian II v1.03B1 seems to be the latest released version.

-Mike Darweesh
weesh@crd.ge.com

wallace@athena.cs.uga.edu (Debra Wallace) (12/20/90)

thanks for the tip! it works!  now if you can just tell me why the pentagons come down...

debra wallace  wallace@athena.cs.uga.edu

hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) (12/21/90)

[wallace@athena.cs.uga.edu (Debra Wallace) writes:]
[] thanks for the tip! it works!  now if you can just tell me why the
[] pentagons come down...

being curious (and having ben recently divinely inspired ...) i'd like
to hear what people think triggers the various nasties to fall.  my
favorites are Oing - the beachball, Spots - the video cell from hell
and Spike (all 3rd wave nasties).

also, what is the answer to the question: "Why is there a bird?"

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu

"You hear the chime of a cash register"

jdsb@coachk.egr.duke.edu (John D. S. Babcock) (12/21/90)

    Along the same lines, how do you survive the wave with the spinning
    square and sperms that dive bomb you?  I think it is level 5 or 6.
    I always seem to die there.
J. D. Sterling Babcock             Duke University Electrical Engineering
jdsb@dukee.egr.duke.edu
att!egr.duke.edu!jdsb

sheppard@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ken Sheppardson) (12/21/90)

In article <1261@cameron.egr.duke.edu> jdsb@coachk.egr.duke.edu (John D. S. Babcock) writes:

>    Along the same lines, how do you survive the wave with the spinning
>    square and sperms that dive bomb you?  I think it is level 5 or 6.
>    I always seem to die there.

   The squiglies a.k.a 'sperms' tend not to like it when you hang around under
   them for too long.  It seems the best way to get through the wave you're
   talking about is to stay offf to the sides out of the way of the square
   and just pass underneath occassionally.

Yeah, right...like I'm really gonna tell you where it is I work that all we
do all day is sit around and play Solarian...sheesh....   :)

aard@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Tony Ard) (12/21/90)

I downloaded Solarian 1.04 from GEnie about two months ago.  I believe that
this is the newest version.

Anthony C. Ard
aard@sdcc13.ucsd.edu

waire@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire) (12/21/90)

To kill the 'sperms' you need to be only be in single-shot mode (ie. you have
not caught the present that gives you two fires) and just remain completely
still underneath them and fire away.  If you do not move, you will always get
them.
--
Timothy A. Waire, Jr. (Whitegold)            Executive Office of the President
INTERNET: waire@seas.gwu.edu                 Office of Management & Budget

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (12/27/90)

In article <1261@cameron.egr.duke.edu> jdsb@coachk.egr.duke.edu (John D. S. Babcock) writes:

       Along the same lines, how do you survive the wave with the spinning
       square [...].

I find it helpful to keep moving. The swarm leaders that shoot at you
always shoot at where you were when they launched their weapons.

This becomes more important in higher levels (esp. 9). It takes a
certain knack to know when the leaders will fire, so I stay still just
for a moment, and then move when they will fire.

--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett