[comp.sys.mac.games] Mac II Disappointment/Request for Game Recs

mil@mendel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Maria I. Lasaga) (01/05/91)

[This is posted to comp.sys.mac.programmer because it relates to software
development...]

So I was greatly disappointed by the Mac II this Christmas.  Let me
explain.  I have used a Macintosh since the 128K variety.  I currently
own a 512k, a 512kE (with 1 M RAM), and an SE.  I had never used a Mac II
before the holidays, but have been coveting one for some time.  I have a
brother who is an IBM fanatic.  He has several IBMs and IBM clones at home
and at work.  I finally convinced him that he should invest in a Macintosh
because of its graphics capabilities, etc., etc.  He purchased a Macintosh
IIsi, with an Apple color monitor.  He asked what software he should
purchase, and I sent him a list, including the latest game,
"The Duel: Test Drive II" and one of my favorite games,"Shufflepuck."
(He also bought some standard software like Word.)

I visited my brother over the holidays, excited to see the Mac IIsi in
action.  I was very disappointed by the performance of a lot of the software.
Basically, the games opened up within a small 9" window anyway, rather than
on the full screen.  I know that the only way to fix that problem in the
programming is either to have a larger bitmap image for larger screens or to
blow up the image.  Given that my brother had purchased a large screen,
it was disappointing to find that the software developers of recent games have
not made their screens expandable.  Also, the games were in black and
white, even though some of them were very recent (and had color images
on the box (with tiny print saying the images came from some other computer)!
There I was, trying to convince my brother that the Macintosh has all of
these great graphics capabilities, and I had nothing to show him that could
substantiated that claim.  Meanwhile, and this is the part that kills me,
my nephews were playing King's Quest V on their IBM, and I was mightily
impressed by the graphics of that game.  For those not familiar with that
game, it is a spectacular color graphics game for IBM compatibles.  So if
the Macintosh has all of these great graphics capabilities,
built-in Quickdraw routines and the like, why was it that the software
we have available for the macintosh could hardly compare to what I saw
on#]r brother's IBM?

I have done a lot of programming on the Macintosh, myself.  I have done
some programming on the IBMs, too.  It seems to me that the Macintosh
does, INDEED, have graphics capabilities that are much easier to program
and much more flexible (although my opinion may simply reflect a greater
familiarity with programming on the macintosh on my part).  However,
if this is indeed true, and I have often heard others make this same claim,
then why doesn't the software available for the Mac reveal its exceptional
graphics capabilities?

Any comments on this issue would be appreciated.  This isn't a question of
"Which is better, the Macintosh or the IBM?"  It is, "If we have been
claiming that the Macintosh is such a great graphics machine, why do
the graphics of so much of our available software not compare with those of
IBM software?"  Is it that the IBM has had more time to develop good software?
I really would like to know, as I consider whether I still want to purchase
a Macintosh II myself.

Lastly, I would greatly appreciate it if any Mac II owners could
recommend any software that works spectacularly on the Mac II's.  (I brought
along a copy of Solarian, and although a great game which works on the
full screen--yay-- and has color--yay--, it doesn't involve complex graphics.
I really do think the game is great fun, though, and has good sound.)
I told my brother I would give him some more recommendations.  I have already
suggested Adobe Illustrator, although I have only used it on a Mac SE.  It
does have color and adapts to a large screen.  But I would YOe to suggest
some good games, particularly ones with complex graphics that can take
advantage of a big screen and color capabilities.

If anyone reading this posting has an IBM available and a friend with King's
Quest V, take a look at it.  It will take your breath away.  I would love
to see graphics like that on my Macintosh.

Maria I. Lasaga
Department of Psychology
Gilmer Hall
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, Virginia 22901                      mil@virginia

rdd@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Robert Dorsett) (01/05/91)

In article <1991Jan4.164554.5097@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> mil@mendel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Maria I. Lasaga) writes:
>I visited my brother over the holidays, excited to see the Mac IIsi in
>action.  I was very disappointed by the performance of a lot of the software.
>Basically, the games opened up within a small 9" window anyway, rather than
>on the full screen.

>Any comments on this issue would be appreciated.  This isn't a question of
>"Which is better, the Macintosh or the IBM?"  It is, "If we have been
>claiming that the Macintosh is such a great graphics machine, why do
>the graphics of so much of our available software not compare with those of
>IBM software?"  Is it that the IBM has had more time to develop good software?
>I really would like to know, as I consider whether I still want to purchase
>a Macintosh II myself.

Macintosh game sales are about 10% of IBM sales.  Macintosh *color* sales
are less than 10% of that; only a small fraction of THAT remainder are usually
truly concerned that a given program doesn't run in color (although most would,
of course, love it if it does).  The market is small, and what does exist is
somewhat ambivalent, hard to get a handle on.

It is not cost-effective to write for the color machines: salaried programmer
time is expensive, and the material costs can be excessive.  The vast majority
of game purchases are done by people running on Plusses or SE's; I do no not
expect the LC or IIsi to change the equation very much.  With this in mind, it
makes a LOT of sense to write for 9" screens, get the software running well in
monochrome, and concentrate on keeping it stable on more advanced machines.
THEN, if the opportunity arises, the software can be colorized.

>Lastly, I would greatly appreciate it if any Mac II owners could
>recommend any software that works spectacularly on the Mac II's.  (I brought
>along a copy of Solarian,

A copy, I hope, that you purchased.  The rampant piracy of the good games
is another factor that discourages any attempts to develop color software.
One cannot sell $300 games; therefore, one doesn't have the same cushion
against piracy that the business software publishers have.  A $50 game,
retail, will net the *publisher* less than $25.  That $25 has to go to pay for
advertising, the box, disk, administrative and programmer salaries, and profit
for the company.  And note that the mail-order houses get THEIR wares at
$15-$20/unit.

Suppose you're a "free-lancer."  15% royalties, net.  Suppose we sell 5,000
copies over two years: at $25/unit (let's be generous), that's $18,750.
$9K a year.  Not too far over the poverty line.  If one can multiply this
by a factor of ten, by writing for the PC, guess what your free-lancer's
going to do? ('course, it's not that simple, since the PC market's a lot more
glutted, but no matter how you cut it, you'd make more money).  One thing he's
NOT going to do is spend several hundred man-hours colorizing his software
(unless it's REALLY easy).

A GOOD Mac program (e.g., Dark Castle) might sell 20,000 copies in its life-
time.  Compare this to the million or so Flight Simulators out there.  Most
Mac programs peak out at fewer than 5,000 to 7,000 copies.

Now, if Apple would do the smart thing, and produce usable color systems
for < $1500, everything would change.  I find it absolutely intolerable that,
with VGA PC clones selling for less than a thousand bucks, retail, Apple's
bottom-of-the-line color system costs over $3000--and IT doesn't even come
with a floating-point chip or the necessary VRAM, for crying out loud!  Apple
has consistently discouraged game production, tending to favor
business/personal-productivity software developers.  And you wonder why there
aren't fancy games on the Mac?

In summary, it's economics, not the technical capabilities of the machines,
that affect whether you will see a Mac game run in color.

---
Robert Dorsett
Internet: rdd@rascal.ics.utexas.edu
UUCP: ...cs.utexas.edu!rascal.ics.utexas.edu!rdd

barry@network.ucsd.edu (Barry Brown) (01/05/91)

In article <1991Jan4.164554.5097@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> mil@mendel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Maria I. Lasaga) writes:

>So I was greatly disappointed by the Mac II this Christmas.
>I visited my brother over the holidays, excited to see the Mac IIsi in
>action.  I was very disappointed by the performance of a lot of the software.
>Basically, the games opened up within a small 9" window anyway, rather than
>on the full screen.  Given that my brother had purchased a large screen,
>it was disappointing to find that the software developers of recent games have
>not made their screens expandable.  Also, the games were in black and
>white, even though some of them were very recent (and had color images
>on the box (with tiny print saying the images came from some other computer)!
> etc...

I understand your sentiments exactly.  I bought myself a Mac II for
Christmas (Merry Christmas to me!).  A nifty upgrade from my aging Plus.
Although I use it mainly for programming and graphics work, I like to play
games and I, too, am disappointed that more game authors aren't writing for
color or big screens.

I think what we're looking at here is market demand.  There was a time when
color Macintoshes COST A LOT OF MONEY.  Now, people don't go out and spend
$5000 on a machine just to play games.  That's why you don't see games on
high-end Apollo workstations.  The demand for entertainment software for
color Macs simply isn't there.  Oh the other hand, there are many classic
Mac owners with a thirst for games, and so the authors have written software
for that denominator.  No sense spending the extra time and expense to
develop color games with resizable windows if no one is going to buy them,
eh?

With the recent introduction of low-cost color Macs, we can expect to see
game authors take notice and start writing good color entertainment software
for us.

--
Barry E. Brown        --        \  Cal-Animage Beta publicity officer
bebrown@ucsd.{edu,uucp,bitnet}   \   Anime Stuff FTP Server administrator