[comp.sys.mac.games] Balance of the Planet

jwh@wgate.UUCP (Joe Hughes) (11/27/90)

	I heard a rumor that Chris Crawford, author of 'Balance of Power', was
writing a program called 'Balance of the Earth'.  Can anyone substantiate this
rumor?  Also, having purchased 'SimEarth', if this rumor is true can you do a
comparison between the two.  Thank-you.
--
Joe Hughes                    Wandel & Goltermann Technologies, Inc.
Home (919) 469-3851           1030 Swabia Court

dove@jessica.stanford.edu (Emperor of Ice Cream) (11/28/90)

In article <159@jim.UUCP> jwh@wgate.UUCP (Joe Hughes) writes:

>	I heard a rumor that Chris Crawford, author of 'Balance of Power', was
>writing a program called 'Balance of the Earth'.  Can anyone substantiate this
>rumor?  Also, having purchased 'SimEarth', if this rumor is true can you do a
>comparison between the two.  Thank-you.
>--
>Joe Hughes                    Wandel & Goltermann Technologies, Inc.
>Home (919) 469-3851           1030 Swabia Court
>Work (919) 941-5730           Research Triangle Park
>uunet.uu.net!wgate.com!jwh    North Carolina 27709-3585

The game I think you are thinking of is called 'Guns or Butter.'  Set
in a fictional world remarkably looking like Earth with a few land
bridges thrown in, this game is not environmentally based but
socio-econmically based.  The player controls whether to spend money,
energy time on either military power - guns - or social solutions
-butter.

I haven't played it, but it sounds like it may be good.

The Only Emperor

plague@milton.u.washington.edu (Jack Brown) (11/28/90)

Balance of the Planet is different from Global Dilemma: Guns or Butter.
BoP puts you in charge of the UN council/committee/whatever in charge of the
environment.  You get to make decisions and levy fines, etc to improve the
world environment while avoiding mass starvation, war, etc.

Global Dilemma is on a hypothetical/imaginary continent where you start
your industrial production and gradually increase your technology and
conquering the continent.  Fun game if you like economic-war games.

Jack Brown
aka plague@milton.u.washington.edu

conty@cbnewsl.att.com (The Conty) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov28.080100.12605@portia.Stanford.EDU>, dove@jessica.stanford.edu (Emperor of Ice Cream) writes:
> In article <159@jim.UUCP> jwh@wgate.UUCP (Joe Hughes) writes:
> >
> >	I heard a rumor that Chris Crawford, author of 'Balance of Power', was
> >writing a program called 'Balance of the Earth'.  Can anyone substantiate this
> >rumor?  Also, having purchased 'SimEarth', if this rumor is true can you do a
> >comparison between the two.  Thank-you.
> >--
> >Joe Hughes                    Wandel & Goltermann Technologies, Inc.
> >Home (919) 469-3851           1030 Swabia Court
> >Work (919) 941-5730           Research Triangle Park
> >uunet.uu.net!wgate.com!jwh    North Carolina 27709-3585
>

> The game I think you are thinking of is called 'Guns or Butter.'  Set
> in a fictional world remarkably looking like Earth with a few land
> bridges thrown in, this game is not environmentally based but
> socio-econmically based.  The player controls whether to spend money,
> energy time on either military power - guns - or social solutions
> -butter.

BZZZT!  There IS a game called "Balance of the Planet" by Chris Crawford, which
has been out for a couple of months (saw it at the local Egghead).  From what
I gather from the box, the game has an ecological bent similar to SimEarth.
Alas, I've never played it, so I can't give you a review.
--

			    E n r i q u e  C o n t y
			      jester@ihlpl.att.com

cem@cs.brown.edu (Charles E. Moylan) (11/30/90)

In article <159@jim.UUCP>, jwh@wgate.UUCP (Joe Hughes) writes:

|> 	I heard a rumor that Chris Crawford, author of 'Balance of Power', was
|> writing a program called 'Balance of the Earth'.  Can anyone substantiate this
|> rumor?  Also, having purchased 'SimEarth', if this rumor is true can you do a
|> comparison between the two.  Thank-you.

Contrary to another posting that claims you are referring to "Guns or Butter",
"Balance of the Planet" is a game/simulation in its own right and is
_different_ from Guns or Butter which also exists.  Balance of the Planet
bears no resemblance to Balance of Power, though.  Basically it's a
simulation that teaches you about the environment.  You are able to control
taxes on various world goods like oil, pesticides, solar technology, etc.
This influences how people feed themselves and use energy, which in turn
affects the environment in complex and interrelated ways.  It's fun to
play at first and the color graphics are nice, but once you've played a few
times you've seen it all and aren't likely to play again.

Guns or Butter places you as the leader of a country on a continent of
several countries.  You allocate your resources to maximize food & weapon
production.  You can make alliances with other nations to gain military
security and greater production efficiency.  It's a decent game but there
is a particular strategy that wins EVERY TIME so it can get a little boring
after a while.  (I won't reveal it so as not to spoil everyone's fun!)
It's the kernel of a good game but it's missing that "special
something".

Balance of the Planet and Guns or Butter are both by Chris Crawford.

SimEarth is another simulation that I'm sure you've heard about in other posts.

--
Charlie Moylan (cem@cs.brown.edu)

arw@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Paul Hanson) (01/08/91)

I realize this topic was covered recently, but I did not catch it.  I am simply
interested in a review/synopsis of Balance of the Planet.  I am curious what
the game is all about.  You can mail responses directly to me at:

arw@sage.cc.purdue.edu

Thanks,

Paul