[comp.sys.mac.games] Harpoon: Getting into port?

gt4586c@prism.gatech.EDU (WILLETT,THOMAS CARTER) (01/11/91)

i just recently got Harpoon, and i was playing the second senario in the GUIK
battleset, the one in which you escort two merchant ships to Narvik.  I
managed to get one safely to the Narvik area, but I kept running aground trying
to get into the port.  Has anyone else had this problem and how do you get
around it?  The magnification on the group window is insufficient to set the
group course in such confined waters.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

- tom willett
  gt4586c@prism.gatech.edu

--
thomas willett
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta

west@turing.toronto.edu (Tom West) (01/11/91)

WILLETT,THOMAS CARTER writes:
>i just recently got Harpoon, and i was playing the second senario in the GUIK
>battleset, the one in which you escort two merchant ships to Narvik.  I
>managed to get one safely to the Narvik area, but I kept running aground trying
>to get into the port.  Has anyone else had this problem and how do you get
>around it?  The magnification on the group window is insufficient to set the
>group course in such confined waters.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

  The key is that the icon in the group window is only the centre of your
group.  If your formation is spread out, like it is in the Narvik scenario,
when you try to go though a narrow strait, the ships on the outer edge of
the formation will hit the edges of the strait.  To remedy this, when you come
into the strait, (or indeed are close to any shoreline), use the formation
editor to tighten the formation right up.  (Like bringing everything into the
centre circle and changing the formation range circle to a mile or two.)

  I occasionally find that even with only one ship in a TF, it can be displaced
substantially from where it appears on the group map if it isn't in the centre
of the formation.

					Tom West

jimvons@ashtate (Jim von Schmacht) (01/11/91)

Just keep it in the center of the chanel for most of the way and contract your
in as you approach.  At that point, there are no more enemies to worry about.
You don't have to get all the way in.

--
Jim von Schmacht    Senior Member, Project Test Staff    Ashton Tate Corporation
Disclaimer: Standard Issue