[comp.sys.mac.games] Looking for Game Recommendations

gil@daffy.gatech.edu (Gil Neiger) (01/13/91)

I have a 2/40 Mac IIsi with a 13" RGB monitor.  I am looking
for recommendations for games for it.  A long time ago I had
Infocom's "Leather Goddesses of Phobos" for a MacPlus and now
I would like something of the same variety, probably also by
Infocom.  Any recommendations?  The new catch is that I would
by now expect something with a better interface.  That is, I
would like something that takes advantage of the bigger screen
and uses color graphics.  From what I've read here recently,
that's a pretty tall order.  Is there anything close?

					- Gil Neiger
					gil@cc.gatech.edu

lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (L. Maurice Riggins) (01/14/91)

In article <682@mephisto.edu> gil@cc.gatech.edu (Gil Neiger) writes:
>I have a 2/40 Mac IIsi with a 13" RGB monitor.  I am looking
>for recommendations for games for it....        ...That is, I
>would like something that takes advantage of the bigger screen
>and uses color graphics...

Let me recommend Leprechaun.  Extremely challenging, MANY levels
(over 200), nice implementation of color and sound.  Don't know
about the big screen capability (I've only seen it in color on a
friend's II).  The best part is being able to create your own
scenarios to stump your friends!  $29 MacConnection.  Definitely
NOT copy-protected.  I think there's a demo in info-mac.

--
Maurice      INTERNET:    lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (129.92.1.2)

      Opinions expressed here do not reflect those of my employer nor
      constitute an official position of any U.S.Government agency.

jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) (01/14/91)

Have you considered Zork Zero?  It's also made by Infocom and has a nice color
graphic interface.  I don't know if it will work on the new systems, so be sure
to check before you buy anything.  I haven't solved the game, but I've really
enjoyed playing it.  Maybe someone with more playing experience can comment.

Jon Pace
Carnegie Mellon University
GSIA

commons@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU (Peter Commons) (01/15/91)

Try Spaceward Ho! It's a brand new strategy game from Delta Tao Software and
is currently available directly from them or through MacsPlace (for about $40).
It should be available more generally in the future.

Spaceward Ho! is a space-based galaxy conquest game. You can have from 1-10
human players (networkable) and 0-10 computer players. There are three
different styles of computer players (chosen automatically) as well as three
computer skill levels, so don't feel you need to play other humans to have fun.

The game has been designed for easy play and even includes a floating help
window that gives you information about what you point the mouse at. Budgets
are controlled using very convenient mouse-controlled bar graphs; you never
need to type in any numbers.

The goal of the game is to start from your home planet, build different types
of spaceships (scouts, fighters, colony ships, satellites - you get to design
your own), explore and colonize new habitable planets, and defend yourself
from invasion.

The game runs on the Mac Plus and beyond (and uses color on color machines).

For more information:

Delta Tao Software
760 Harvard Ave.
Sunnyvale, CA 94087