[comp.sys.mac.games] 3D games on the Mac

bkuo@girtab.usc.edu (Benjamin Kuo) (01/10/91)

This is specifically aimed at john calhoun, since he apparently doesn't have
an account (do you?) at mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, but anyone else interested:

Juri Munkki, someone on this net, figured out how to connect the Sega 3D
glasses to any Mac serial port, and control the LED shutters--giving us
the capability to do 3D, if someone writes the software. A friend of mine
has already built an interface (improved on the original, even) which
works fine, and has some very interesting line-demos with it, but other than
the demos and source, there isn't anything that uses it.

Basically, the software writes alternating buffers to the screen, while
toggling and synching the two LED screens in the shutters to each
buffer (for the right/left eye effect). This is very similar to the
red/green 3D comic books and posters that used to be popular.

John Calhoun mentioned his "semi-3D" game: how tough would it be to
alter the screen writing of the offscreen bitmaps to be placed in the
same spot on the screen, with the proper offsets, geometry, etc., and
add a few commands to send the DTR signal to the glasses?

This is just a thought (since these glasses are NOT widespread), but the
interface is cheap (only 2 ICs with our optimized design, a few resistors
and connectors), the Sega glasses relatively so ($19-$25 dollars, available
from your neighborhood store or direct), and the idea of 3D, in b/w or
color (either way), on the Mac, would be great.

Already, if you had that option, you have yet another wave in computer
simulations. Imagine a version of Colony, already in some sort of 3D,
actually PHYSICALLY taking a 3D appearance. How about flight simulators?
Programs which are line-based, needing only a few extra calculations to
make them seem so much more realistic (a closer control panel, actually
"looking" through the cockpit window). Even 3D windows, a 3D finder, a
billion possibilities.

Previously, 3D computing has been limited to big mainframes and specialized
systems (mostly for CAD). Now, there are companies marketing 3D glasses
and software for the Atari ST and Amiga: why not something similar for
the Mac?

The plans for the 3D glasses are anonymously ftp'able from vega.hut.fi, in
one of the directories (which I can't remember). I think they were also
posted on comp.binaries.mac a while back.

Benjamin Kuo

mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/10/91)

Sorry Benjamin (and everyone else who has mailed me) I can't get my account to
reply to mail!!  (Kind of 'borrowing' the account anyway.)
The only problem I see with the 3D is speed.  It's tough enough to get any
graphics game to run fast.  Syncing the thing would perhaps be tough as well.
I love the idea.  After Stella though, it's become tough to think of a game
that lends itself to 3D.  Colony and flight simulators of course, but the
complexity of games like this have caused me to shy away from them.  A 3D card
game? - So what.  You know?  Not a lot of ideas come to mind.

I started a 3D paint program that (yes) had 3D menus and a 3D palette (done
manually - not with the Menu Manager).  Alas, my shelves are creaking under the
weight of half-baked projects.

So, could someone (ben?) binary those plans again?  (I also can't fido.)

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (01/14/91)

In article <27788.278bd787@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>I love the idea.  After Stella though, it's become tough to think of a game
>that lends itself to 3D.  Colony and flight simulators of course, but the
>complexity of games like this have caused me to shy away from them.  A 3D card
>game? - So what.  You know?  Not a lot of ideas come to mind.

Ever seen a game called Blockout? Tetris in 3-D--that is, wireframe blocks
with an X Y and Z axis of rotation... If you are old enough, think of a
Soma cube. The only problem with it is that it's purely wireframe, and thus
pretty damn hard to learn which end is actually pointing down. I would LOVE
to see a real 3D version of Blockout...

:   Kathy Strong               :  "Try our Hubble-Rita: just one shot,     :
:  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   and everything's blurry"                :
:   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :                           --El Arroyo     :
:..........................................................................:

bkuo@girtab.usc.edu (Benjamin Kuo) (01/16/91)

John, I'll see if I can post those again, or I'll actually mail you the
"new" design (MUCH easier to build).

The synching of the glasses basically involves toggling the DTR on the
modem or serial ports, which is SIMPLE (I believe it is just a quick
changing of the Ser mode, 1 line). The glasses themselves are plugged into
an interface with a stereo plug. The glasses do not show an image, they
only toggle opaque/clear.

It works with ANY mac (any machine, for that matter), either the modem or
printer port, conceivably the ADB port...

I know what it's like to have half-baked projects (most of my programming!),
you're way ahead of most of us in that game.

Benjamin Kuo