[comp.sys.mac.games] Computer Ambush - Was: War Games

rick@olivea.OLIVETTI.COM (Rick Meneely) (01/17/91)

From article <1991Jan2.175600.29999@svc.portal.com>, by moose@svc.portal.com:
> In article <1991Jan1.153934.1488@en.ecn.purdue.edu> wscott@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Wayne H Scott) writes:
>>In article <1990Dec31.232505.27769@svc.portal.com> moose@svc.portal.com writes:
>>What is Computer Ambush?
>>
>>I know that name from a game on the Apple II that was VERY good.  I hope that
>>is the same game for the mac.
>
> Now for the bad news:
> It is a very old game that I picked up used for $15.  I have never seen this
> at the store, nor in any catalogs, nor any mention made of it.  Remember, in
> the early days of Macintosh, many games were ported over that failed.  They
> still exist, but nobody is selling them.

I had this game years ago on an Apple II+.  It was great except for the length
of time it look for calculations.  I had removed the protection scheme they
used in order to look at the code - It is STILL some of the WORST coding I
have EVER seen.  It was written in Applesoft Basic with every other word
being GOTO.  There was talk for several years that SSI was going to release
a re-write of the game (actually I think they just compiled it), but little
was ever published about it.

About a year ago my brother decided to call them and see if they still
sell the game.  It turned out that they still had some copies but no
documenation - no problem for us as we still had our original docs.  They
sent us the disk for approx $15(?).  The version we got runs fine on a Mac+
(my brother's machine) however I have not tried it on my Mac IIcx.

| Rick Meneely                       | Internet: rick@olivee.ATC.Olivetti.Com|
| Olivetti Advanced Technology Center|                                       |
| 20300 Stevens Creek Blvd.          | When in Rome, do as the Visigoths...  |
| Cupertino, Ca 95014                |              SACK IT!!                |
| Ph# (408) 366-3101                 |                                       |
| Disclaimer: Your mailer changed it!|                                       |