[comp.sys.mac.games] Color games and joysticks

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (12/27/90)

 Having recently acquired a color Mac, I'm interested in color games!

 I like arcade-type shoot-'em-ups, driving games, and hand/eye games like
 Tetris. What are some of your favorites?

 In addition, what support is there for sticks-of-joy on the Mac? Most Amiga
 games use them, and joysticks do seem superior to the mouse. Are they
 transparent, in that the signals are seen by the game as mouse moves? For
 example, would one work with Solarian? Assuming it would work, does anyone
 have a joystick to recommend?

 Thanks!

Richard C. Long  *  long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com
                 *  ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long
                 *  long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com

sharp@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) (12/29/90)

    I have no games to recommend. I do have a joystick preference.
Having used both the Kraft QuickStick and the Advanced Gravis
joystick, I recommend the Advanced Gravis. There is no comparison, the
Gravis is far superior. It has a better feel, better options, better
made, just plain better.

	maurice

--
Maurice Sharp MSc. Student (403) 220 7690
University of Calgary Computer Science Department

rich@sdchemf (Richard Kanner) (12/29/90)

In article <18480@shlump.nac.dec.com> long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

> Having recently acquired a color Mac, I'm interested in color games!
>
> I like arcade-type shoot-'em-ups, driving games, and hand/eye games like
> Tetris. What are some of your favorites?
>
> In addition, what support is there for sticks-of-joy on the Mac? Most Amiga
> games use them, and joysticks do seem superior to the mouse. Are they
> transparent, in that the signals are seen by the game as mouse moves? For
> example, would one work with Solarian? Assuming it would work, does anyone
> have a joystick to recommend?

I recently purchased Sky Shad, a good fast action shoot-'em-up game
which will run in color and with multiple monitors under multifinder.
Mac abuser (User) gave it 5 mice.  I would tend to agree.

On a joy stick I have a kraft KM30 adb joystick.  I was rather dissapointed
with the performance of the thing.  With the mouse and joystick both hooked
up to the adb bus I had very jerky motions with the mouse, and menu
selections were rather difficult.  I also found using the joystick as a mouse
was also too dificult for genereal moving around the screen as the behavior
of the thing was too erratic to control.  I have used the stick with some
games and found again control difficult with the exception of falcon.
But then again I am not very good a flying that jet.  In general I would
not recomend shelling out the $50 bucks for the thing, thank god I didn't.

					R. Kanner
					UCSD Chem

ccastcr@prism.gatech.EDU (Russo, Chris A.) (01/09/91)

rich@sdchemf (Richard Kanner) writes:
>I recently purchased Sky Shad, a good fast action shoot-'em-up game
>which will run in color and with multiple monitors under multifinder.
>Mac abuser (User) gave it 5 mice.  I would tend to agree.

   I would have to disagree.  I played this game for more than several
hours.
   Although it has some advances for a mac arcade-style game, it still
isn't up to current levels of expectation.  The graphics are flickery,
the scrolling playing field is small and _very_ repetitive.  The game
itself gives you so many goodies that sometimes for minutes, you are
completely invincible with huge amounts of firepower.  So, to compensate
for your strength, the game gets ridiculously fast.  When you lose your
invincibility, you're pretty much dead meat.  Also, once you get all of
this firepower, Sky Shadow game commits a serious sin.  It doesn't erase some
of the bullets you fire, so you see little white spots all over the screen.
   My advice to you is to stick to the brain games on the Mac.  These
tend to be more contemporary in their quality.

--
Russo, Chris A.
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!ccastcr

mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/10/91)

>    I would have to disagree.  I played this game for more than several
> hours.
>    Although it has some advances for a mac arcade-style game, it still
> isn't up to current levels of expectation.  The graphics are flickery,

I would must differ on this.  Although it ain't Amiga, I think Sky Shadow sets
a new benchmark in Mac arcade games.  Having programmed the Mac, Sky Shadow
DOES exceed my levels of expectation.  I'm very impressed - amazed even.  I
don't doubt that someone will come along to top it, but it stands as the
arcade-game-to-be-reckoned with on the Mac.

> the scrolling playing field is small and _very_ repetitive.  The game

Sure.  Again, we're not on an Amiga or a Nintendo for that matter.  One color
screen (in 16 color mode) is going to run you around 30-40K of disk space.
This will limit you to 20 or so screens per disk.  He has three 'levels' with
perhaps 4 or 5 screens per level.  Add to that 500K of digitized sound.  I
think besides the obvious reason of game speed, the number of screens was a
question of economy.  We don't all have hard drives or 1.4 M floppy drives.

> itself gives you so many goodies that sometimes for minutes, you are
> completely invincible with huge amounts of firepower.  So, to compensate
> for your strength, the game gets ridiculously fast.  When you lose your
> invincibility, you're pretty much dead meat.  Also, once you get all of
> this firepower, Sky Shadow game commits a serious sin.  It doesn't erase some
> of the bullets you fire, so you see little white spots all over the screen.

On this part, I agree wholly with you.  There does seem to be a skewed sort of
game-balance.  I still enjoy the game however - it just pits you in a
one-slip-up-and-your-dead scenario.  This is frustrating often.

>    My advice to you is to stick to the brain games on the Mac.  These
> tend to be more contemporary in their quality.

Certainly.  But, card games and Othello are easy to program.  Without speed
overhead, pages and pages of graphics, I should expect many more games like
'Seahaven Towers'.  If speed is no longer a factor, sure lets go 256 color
mode.

> Russo, Chris A.

john calhoun

ccastcr@prism.gatech.EDU (Russo, Chris A.) (01/11/91)

mlab2@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>>    Although it has some advances for a mac arcade-style game, it still
>> isn't up to current levels of expectation.  The graphics are flickery,

>I would must differ on this.  Although it ain't Amiga, I think Sky Shadow sets
>a new benchmark in Mac arcade games.  Having programmed the Mac, Sky Shadow
>DOES exceed my levels of expectation.  I'm very impressed - amazed even.  I
>don't doubt that someone will come along to top it, but it stands as the
>arcade-game-to-be-reckoned with on the Mac.

   I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear.  The person to whom I responded
_did_ mention the Amiga.  By levels of expectation, I meant the entire
market, not just the Mac's.  I program the Mac as well, and I do agree that
Sky Shadow does do a very good job with the Mac.  But, if we get all excited
about a game like Sky Shad, it's kind of like when the IBM'ers were running
around saying, "Look, we have menus and we can cut and paste!"  To which
the Mac community responded BFD.

>>    My advice to you is to stick to the brain games on the Mac.  These
>> tend to be more contemporary in their quality.

>Certainly.  But, card games and Othello are easy to program.  Without speed
>overhead, pages and pages of graphics, I should expect many more games like
>'Seahaven Towers'.  If speed is no longer a factor, sure lets go 256 color
>mode.

   Well, I wasn't referring to just card games.  Some titles that I can
think of off the top of my head, that fall into my Brain Game category:

Infocom in general, but I specifically enjoyed Zork Zero.(Beyond Zork? One
        or the other.  One of the two has fairly interesting graphics.)
Strategic Conquest
Sim City
Sim Earth
Computer Ambush
Tetris
Pipe Dream

--
Russo, Chris A.
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!ccastcr
Internet: ccastcr@prism.gatech.edu

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (01/13/91)

ccastcr@prism.gatech.EDU (Russo, Chris A.) writes:

[speaking of the Amiga]

>  Yeah, you'd think that blitter control would be fairly invisible and built
>into their sprite control routines.  I'd guess that they have some type
>of toolbox similar to ours, plus all of that sprite stuff.

Like many systems, the Amiga has many levels of possible access, from ROM
code which will do all the blitter stuff for you, to library calls which
allow you to more directly control the blitter itself, to getting down and
banging on the blitter's register bits by hand.  Which technique you use
depends on what you're trying to do, and the speed you want to do it at.

--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us

gdb43989@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Gregory David Brown) (01/17/91)

ccastcr@prism.gatech.EDU (Russo, Chris A.) writes:

>rich@sdchemf (Richard Kanner) writes:
>>I recently purchased Sky Shad, a good fast action shoot-'em-up game
>completely invincible with huge amounts of firepower.  So, to compensate
>for your strength, the game gets ridiculously fast.  When you lose your
>invincibility, you're pretty much dead meat.  Also, once you get all of
>this firepower, Sky Shadow game commits a serious sin.  It doesn't erase som

Curious, do you have an 8.24 GC card installed in your machine?  I know I
the acceleration init is responsible for it.  Also, as a new user to the group,
I missed the hints for solarian, especially for the second bonus stage.  As for
high scores, Level 9, 487,320.  Of course I have gotten to higher levels (13) it was
are not planning on winning the game, whenever given a bonus round, take the
bonus score prize.