[comp.sys.mac.games] does Solarian speed differ on different Macs?

johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Erik A. Johnson) (01/14/91)

Does the speed that Solarian plays at differ on different Macintoshs?
In other words, if one person plays on a basic Mac II and another on
a IIfx, is there much difference in the speed of objects, making it
harder on the faster machine?

sarwate@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sanjiv Sarwate) (01/14/91)

johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Erik A. Johnson) writes:

>Does the speed that Solarian plays at differ on different Macintoshs?
>In other words, if one person plays on a basic Mac II and another on
>a IIfx, is there much difference in the speed of objects, making it
>harder on the faster machine?

Yes.  I have a Mac II at home, and a Mac IIci at work.  Solarian is much
faster (and harder) on the IIci.
--
Sanjiv Sarwate				"But what is truth?
sarwate@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu		Is truth unchanging law?

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan14.142427.93@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, sarwate@ux1 (Sanjiv Sarwate) writes:
>Yes.  I have a Mac II at home, and a Mac IIci at work.  Solarian is much
>faster (and harder) on the IIci.

Curious.  I play on a IIci at work and a IIfx at home and haven't
noticed even a slight speed difference.

On the other hand, Sky Shadow scrolls so fast on the IIfx that it's
nearly unplayable.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ben Haller) (01/22/91)

johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (Erik A. Johnson) writes:

>Does the speed that Solarian plays at differ on different Macintoshs?
>In other words, if one person plays on a basic Mac II and another on
>a IIfx, is there much difference in the speed of objects, making it
>harder on the faster machine?

Well, I wrote it with a speed throttle so that it certainly doesn't go
above a particular threshold.  It may, however, go *below* that threshold -
I haven't figured out an assembly routine to double the processor speed yet
:->
  It seems that various things have an effect on the speed.  I suspect, but
have not verified empirically, that certain INITs, such as Suitcase, ATM,
and other things that manage, despite my efforts, to get time while
Solarian is running, slow it down.
  Being in MultiFinder vs. Finder shouldn't make any difference.
  Running 32-bit QuickDraw (whether or not you even have a 24-bit board in
your machine) will slow it down substantially.  Those who are having speed
problems, try using John Rotenstein's little thingy to take 32-bit CQD out
(I think it's called UnQuickDraw or something).  This should make a
substantial difference.
  Most people have no problems with speed on a IIci.  Nobody has speed
problems on the IIfx.  I don't know how the LC/si compare - I haven't heard
from whoever owns those machines.
  I am sort of thinking about optimizing Solarian II some more so that it
runs at full speed on all machines capable of running it (except possibly
the LC).  I may or may not do that.  The Mac user base slowly upgrades to
faster machines anyway, so if I put the decision off long enough, the
question will become moot. :->

  To answer my two most common questions from folks:
1. Solarian II will almost certainly never run in 1-bit mode, and for
   sure doesn't now
2. Solarian II will almost certainly never run on the new Apple 12" color
   monitor, and for sure doesn't now.

My goodness, what else?  You can't catch bombs, folks.  Sorry if the
instructions are unclear on that point - it doesn't work in real life,
and it doesn't work in Solarian II.  You can catch everything else.
I can normally catch the crazy present within 5 seconds of its being
dropped.

Solarian II doesn't like the System 6.0.7 sound manager.  Neither do I,
for that matter.  Complain to Apple and it might get fixed for System 7.

Thanks for all your support, folks.  Y'all are great.

-Ben Haller (deadman@garnet.berkeley.edu)