[comp.sys.mac.games] Simcity Upgrade?

rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson) (01/17/91)

I bought SimCity awhile back and have just recenly acquired a
MacIIcx.  Does anyone know if there is an upgrade path to a
color version of SimCity if you bought the black&white version
first?

Thanks,

-Scott

paulr@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Paul T Russell) (01/22/91)

From article <1991Jan22.000943.22438@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, by ta-dw30@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (David Worenklein):
> In article <3096.2796D581@blkcat.fidonet.org> Dan.Hughes@f421.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Dan Hughes) writes:
>>In the SimCity box v. 1.1 is an upgrade order form. It costs $29.95 and
>>$10 more for the Terrain Editor.
>
> I got an upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2c (16-bit color/MF compatible) by sending
> a $13 check to Maxis.

Last week I received an upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2c completely unsolicited.
Well done Maxis! I had abandoned playing SimCity when I upgraded to
Mac IIci/Mac IIfx and this had meant an increase in productivity. Now
they send me an upgrade which works on these machines and productivity
has once again taken a dive. The new version works fine on a IIfx (with
19" colour screen - very pretty - large chunk of city plus all other
windows in view at the same time!), but I have to do the following
to get it to work on a IIci - (1) Launch SimCity in 256 colour
mode, (2) Click on the box telling me I should really be in
16 colour mode, (3) Revert to 16 colour mode and re-launch.
If I don't go through the above procedure then SimCity appears
to launch OK but all the graphics are all screwed up (this is using
the built-in video hardware on the IIci, BTW). I just thought
I'd share that with you, in case there are any frustrated
SImCity players with IIci's out there...

//Paul

--
           Paul Russell, Department of Experimental Psychology
         University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9QG, England