[comp.sys.mac.games] New Games at MacWorld

jhg@Apple.COM (James Glanville) (01/15/91)

I spent Friday afternoon at MacWorld to check out what's
new in the Macintosh World.  Of course what I was really
looking for -> new Mac games.

In particular, I had hoped to run into

  * Strategic Studies Group - makers of Halls of Montezuma,
    Panzer Battles, (both great games) and the American
    Civial War ( which I was hoping to check out.  Does it
    Really Exist?).   If SSG was there, I didn't see them.

 * Next I wanted to find the Broderbund/Maxis booth to see
   if the Mac versions of the new City Scenarios was available.
   Unfortunately, I never made over to the booth to find out.

 * And, I didn't see to many game makers at all! But, I did
   quite unexpectantly run into "Delta Tao Software, Inc."
   They're the makers of the 24-bit MacCheese color program.
   I started to check that out, when I spied in one corner
   an SE labaled "Strategic Conquest 3.0"  - What!!!

   Delta Tao has taken over Strategic Conquest, fixed a few bugs,
   improved the Computer strategy (and the computer no longer
   cheats above level 12), and vastly improved the shape and
   variability of islands and the world map.  I bought the
   "upgrade" on the spot for $15.

   While I was doing that, the Delta Tao person asked if I
   had seen their other game. " What other game?" I naively
   asked.  "Spaceward Ho!"

   Spaceward Ho!  It's sort of an interstellar strategic conquest
   or empire game.  It's multi-player (upto 10 people and 10
   computer opponents).  Basically, you start out with a planet and
   your mission is to colonize as much of the galaxy before your
   opponents do.  When you colonize a planet, you can use your
   money resources to "terraform it - make it livable so your colony
   population grows", "mine it - mine the metal to build more ships",
   and "build ships - make more spaceships".  You can also design
   your own colony ships,attack ships, and defense satellites.  And
   you can invest money in improving your technology for weapons,
   shields, jump drives, and miniturization.  The price - $30 !!!
   Needless to say, I spent most of Sunday playing and exploring this
   game.  It's great!!!

   I don't know if Delta Tao's software is generally available yet.
   Their address is:

  			Delta Tao Software, Inc.
			760 Harvard Ave.
			Sunnyvale, CA 94087

   Disclaimer:  I have nothing to do with Delta Tao apart from running
   into their booth and becoming a happy customer.  They seem to be
   bent on producing quality Mac software (and games) with mimimal
   packaging and affordable prices.

   - James Glanville                         Internet: jhg@apple.com
     Engineering Product Management         AppleLink: jhg
     Apple Computer, Inc.                       phone: (408) 974-7726

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (01/15/91)

James Glanville writes:
> I spent Friday afternoon at MacWorld to check out what's new in the
> Macintosh World.  Of course what I was really looking for -> new Mac games.
> ... and, I didn't see to many game makers at all!

That's because they were mostly at the Consumer Electronics Show,
the same weekend, in Las Vegas.  While most of the game news was
from Nintendo, Sega, and so on, there were a number of PC and Mac
game vendors exhibiting their wares...

(I was more interested in the new video game systems, so I didn't
 spend too much time looking at Mac/PC games.  Sorry!)

						-- Dave Taylor
Intuitive Systems
Mountain View, California

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or   {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor

rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson) (01/16/91)

How about Spaceship Warlock?  Some CD ROM booth was showing what looked
like a pretty amazing graphical interactive science fiction adventure.
The sound and graphics were truly amazing and the crowd around the booth
was quite large.  I had to wait about ten minutes until I could get close
enough to see well.  I also heard that it would not be shipping until
March.  The flyer that they were giving out looked interesting.

I went on Friday and my roommate went on Saturday and didn't see the
display, so perhaps they weren't showing it all the time.

Anybody know any more about it?

hope those CD ROM player prices fall soon.  By the way, what are good
prices on CD ROM players.  I saw one at the show for ~$675...

-Scott
rsvp@dartmouth.edu

mce@tc.fluke.COM (Brian McElhinney) (01/23/91)

jhg@Apple.COM (James Glanville) writes about Strategic Conquest 3.0 and
Spaceward Ho!

>   I don't know if Delta Tao's software is generally available yet.
>   Their address is:
>
>  			Delta Tao Software, Inc.
>			760 Harvard Ave.
>			Sunnyvale, CA 94087

Both packages are available from Delta Tao; their phone number is:

			408-730-9336

I talked to one of the software guys for a while, and I`m very impressed.
Delta Tao stepped in when Strategic Conquest was no longer available (after
PBI when bankrupt, and Premier was sued for non-payment of royalties).  They
improved the game, fixed bugs and added compatibility (Multifinder, the new
sound manager, and System 7).  Mostly because they enjoy the game.

They do not believe they can make a living writing Mac games.  I agree with
them; it's a tiny market.  But they do intend to occasionally issue new games.

If you care about games for the Mac, this is the kind of company you should
support.  I ordered both the upgrade to 3.0 and the new Spaceward Ho! game,
sight unseen.  It's money well spent.

Brian McElhinney	    DISCLAIMER: I have nothing what so ever to do with
mce@tc.fluke.com	    Delta Tao Software; I just like what I hear.