[comp.sys.mac.games] SimEarth Robots

lorner@ecst.csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) (11/11/90)

I just got SimEarth a couple of days ago, and I'll add my vote as SimEarth
being a pretty impressive product.  They did it again.

I was on America Online, and I downloaded a planet that contained all robots.
Robots are not mentioned anywhere in the (large!) manual, but doing a little
peeking with ResEdit showed that robots are built into the program.  How do
you get robots in your world?

Also, has anybody tried typing FUND with the shift down like you would in
SimCity?  Interesting.

--
--Lance M. Orner             |  Without the software to run the
California St. Univ., Chico  |  hardware, you get _nowhere_!

gdm@cs.columbia.edu (George Michaels) (11/13/90)

I WAS able to get SimEarth through MacConnection.  I guess I ordered
before they ran out...  I played all weekend.  I was most interested
by the Terraforming scenarios.  They are the most challenging because
they DISABLE the "Models" of Earth behavior.  I have not yet tried
Venus, but I "won" Mars in experimental mode.

1) There is a bug in "Easy" mode which allows you to get as many ice
meteors as you want FOR FREE.  You can send one down, paying for it
(500 omega).  You then select some other kind of build, but you do
not generate any.  Then select ice meteor AGAIN.  AS SOON AS you select
it you get a new meteor.  Without paying for it.  If you want a third,
you select Eukaryote (or some other), and then ice meteor.  You get as
many as you want for free by selecting NOT PLACING them.

2) I cannot seem to raise the temperature very much.  I even tried
producing LOTS of industrial pollution to try to enhance the greenhouse
effect.  No dice.  It think I got the average temp to an all-time high of
-44 C.  This however did not stop me from winning.  Apparently, my
cave-men were able to thrive at -44.

3) I'm curious about the effect of atmospheric presssure on my life.
As a scuba diver, I know that people can survive for long periods of
time at pressures of 4 or more atms.  However since this is a
planetary condition, my sims don't have to decompress....  On mars, I
got the pressure up around 2 atms.  This seemed to help warm up the
planet.  Does anyone know the limits of simearthlings tolerance to
pressure?

George Michaels

dwade@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Doug Wade) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov11.053522.11374@ecst.csuchico.edu> lorner@ecst.csuchico.edu (Lance Orner) writes:
]I was on America Online, and I downloaded a planet that contained all robots.
]Robots are not mentioned anywhere in the (large!) manual, but doing a little
]peeking with ResEdit showed that robots are built into the program.  How do
]you get robots in your world?

	I accidentally noticed that I had a few after Exodus of my trichords,
I believe.  I killed off all animal forms of life and got them up to exodus.
I don't know if they are an accidental byproduct of nanotech societies, or if
they are random, or if I accidentally created them.  They appear in the
report but nowhere else, so you're not likely to see them unless you actually
run across them in the edit window...

blair@seismo.gps.caltech.edu (Blair Zajac) (01/10/91)

Hi,
   I just got SimEarth and I recall a discussion a little while ago about
robots in SimEarth. Somebody mentioned that there was a saved SimEarth game
at America Online which had robots in it. I'd be interested in getting this
file, but since I don't have access to America Online, I'd really appreciate
it if somebody would be kind enough to either post or e-mail me a Mac version
of a planet with robots on it.

Thanks a lot,
Blair Zajac

rxcjm@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (John Mazzocchi) (01/10/91)

blair@seismo.gps.caltech.edu (Blair Zajac) writes:

>Hi,
>   I just got SimEarth and I recall a discussion a little while ago about
>robots in SimEarth. Somebody mentioned that there was a saved SimEarth game
>at America Online which had robots in it. I'd be interested in getting this
>file, but since I don't have access to America Online, I'd really appreciate
>it if somebody would be kind enough to either post or e-mail me a Mac version
>of a planet with robots on it.

Yes, yes, yes! Me too! Me too!!

--
+ John Mazzocchi              +   "The mind is not a vessel to be filled, +
+ Melbourne, Victoria         +    but a fire to be lighted" - Plutarch   +

icsghp03@nero.cs.montana.edu (Tkach) (01/11/91)

If anyone knows about this robots game of SimEarth please send/let me know too.

--
					thanks again
					icsghp03@caesar.cs.montana.edu

mja@sierra.llnl.gov (Michael J. Allison) (01/11/91)

There are even pictures of robots to be used in the magnifying glass
tool in the edit window. I have been unable to (lack of time) to
disassemble to the code and determine if there is some hidden flag
to turn robots on, or if there isn't even any code available.

Perhaps we need to petition Maxis to "Free the Robots". Sounds like
a comment to be placed on your registration card...

	mike

--
Michael J. Allison
Computer Systems Research Group

dank@calvin.usc.edu (Dan King) (01/11/91)

(minor spoiler, maybe)

In order to get robots in SimEarth, all you need to do is nuke (using
the "nuclear test" option.  One robot will then be created.  This
robot will then evolve and kill everything else on the planet.

Enjoy it.

dank

rawdon@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Michael Rawdon) (01/12/91)

In <29249@usc> dank@calvin.usc.edu (Dan King) writes:
>In order to get robots in SimEarth, all you need to do is nuke (using
>the "nuclear test" option.  One robot will then be created.  This
>robot will then evolve and kill everything else on the planet.

Is this for real?  I've used the "nuclear test" option several times
(just for laughs :-) and haven't seen any robots created or anything of
the sort.  And my life forms continued to survive just fine.  Hmm...

--
Michael Rawdon					Internet: rawdon@rex.cs.tulane
Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana		 Bitnet: CS6FECU@TCSVM

"...I trusted [Ganelon] like a brother.  That is to say, not at all."
					- Roger Zelazny; _The_Guns_Of_Avalon_

I should probably be working anyway...

dank@calvin.usc.edu (Dan King) (01/12/91)

In article <5622@rex.cs.tulane.edu> rawdon@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Michael Rawdon) writes:
>In <29249@usc> dank@calvin.usc.edu (Dan King) writes:
>>In order to get robots in SimEarth, all you need to do is nuke (using
>>the "nuclear test" option.  One robot will then be created.  This
>>robot will then evolve and kill everything else on the planet.
>
>Is this for real?  I've used the "nuclear test" option several times
>(just for laughs :-) and haven't seen any robots created or anything of
>the sort.  And my life forms continued to survive just fine.  Hmm...
OK, so I'm a fool (that's what I get for posting news while talking on
the phone).  What I meant to say was that you need to nuke a nanotech
age city.  That will produce the robots.

Sorry for the confusion.

dank

hirai@cs.swarthmore.edu (Eiji Hirai) (01/14/91)

dank@calvin.usc.edu (Dan King) writes:
>In order to get robots in SimEarth, all you need to do is nuke (using
>the "nuclear test" option.  One robot will then be created.  This
>robot will then evolve and kill everything else on the planet.

Just drop a nuke on the city as Dan said.  However, the city must be a
nanotech city.  Otherwise, the robots won't appear and you'll just destroy
a city for no reason.

BTW, save your game before you do this.  Robots will make the game very
boring after they take over the world.

--
Eiji Hirai @ Mathematics Dept., Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA 19081-1397
hirai@cs.swarthmore.edu  hirai@swarthmr.bitnet rutgers!hirai%cs.swarthmore.edu

calexand@aludra.usc.edu (Craig Alexander) (01/15/91)

In article <J1PW2FD@cs.swarthmore.edu> hirai@cs.swarthmore.edu (Eiji Hirai) writes:

>BTW, save your game before you do this.  Robots will make the game very
>boring after they take over the world.

Actually the game can be rather interesting.  Try using the monolith so
the robots can become sentient.  Then bring life back to the planet.  The
robots will have to compete with everybody else.  The robots can
even achieve exodus.

Enjoy

--
Craig F. Alexander
University of Southern California  ***** calexand@girtab.usc.edu

johnsonr@spot.Colorado.EDU (Richard Johnson) (01/16/91)

calexand@aludra.usc.edu (Craig Alexander) writes:

> ...the robots can become sentient. ... The robots can even achieve exodus.

Yeah, just another life form, but highly successful.  When they do achieve
sentience (via a monolith or "natural" evolution), be prepared to start with
an industrial age civilization.  Stone age robots would be a bit much,
wouldn't they?

Richard
johnsonr@spot.colorado.edu
Center for Space Confusion, er, umm, Space Construction

jlc@atux01.UUCP (Jim Collymore) (01/23/91)

To make your own robots, just start a world and get it up to the Nanotech
Age.  THen save the game.  Make a copy of that planet, and then load the
copy.  Go find a nanotech city and nuke it.  You will see robots appear
(as long as you don't see a radioactive symbol on the area where you nuked).
THe robots will evolve and propogate rapidly.  However, on my world
(where Trichords were the dominant species) I did not see the robots over-
run the other species, although the robots did multiply at an astonishingly
high rate!

						Jim Collymore