[comp.sys.mac.games] Supremacy...is there hope?

nakagawa@portia.Stanford.EDU (Kent Nakagawa) (01/24/91)

Friends and I have been trying to modify rules in Supremacy to make it more
playable.  We've tried separating the market into three cycles, to even out
the distribution of money, and launch on warning rules.  But this game
still has a severe lack of cash flow, and as a result, there's
a lot of sitting around happening.  Has anyone found some modifications
which make this game work better?  It seems like a great concept, but with
severe rules flaws which make the game difficult.

Kent H. Nakagawa				Stanford University
Bitnet:  NAKAGAWA@SSRL750			Department of Chemistry
Internet: NAKAGAWA@PORTIA.STANFORD.EDU

ullevig@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Ullevig Zachary A) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan23.233544.10174@portia.Stanford.EDU> nakagawa@portia.Stanford.EDU (Kent Nakagawa) writes:
>Friends and I have been trying to modify rules in Supremacy to make it more
>playable.  We've tried separating the market into three cycles, to even out
>the distribution of money, and launch on warning rules.  But this game
>still has a severe lack of cash flow, and as a result, there's
>a lot of sitting around happening.  Has anyone found some modifications
>which make this game work better?  It seems like a great concept, but with
>severe rules flaws which make the game difficult.

Are you talking about the board game?  I know they are comming out with
a computer version, but I have not heard if or when there will be a Mac
version.

so why are you trying to make it 'more playable?'  It is already playable.
If you are going to win this game, you need to build your strategy around
the fact that you will only get to sell once every couple turns.  Don't
overspend and use diplomacy before war.  With 4 or more players there is
rarely a time when the market is below 400 for the start of stage 3.  Try
makeing deals with your opponents to get access to the market.  (I will
help you kill China if you let me sell first...)

In short, the game doesn't need to be fixed.  You need to modify you strategy.
There is more than enough cash flow.  In the last game I played, an opponent
went from 8 billion in debt to 5 billion in cash, 5 L-stars, and 12 nukes.
He did this through diplomacy(and some luck).

-Zach