[comp.sys.mac.games] What are some GOOD network games out there?

monching@cs.mcgill.ca (Patrick WONG) (01/18/91)

We are looking for a good network game for our apple talk network. Any
suggestions?

--
patrick wong                   | McGill University
monching@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca   | School of Computer Science

commons@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU (Peter Commons) (01/19/91)

>We are looking for a good network game for our apple talk network. Any
>suggestions?

Spaceward Ho! (for 1 - 10 players).

See comments in articles 2489 & 2492 in comp.sys.mac.games

--
Peter Commons
commons@cs.stanford.edu

kwinkler@pbs.org (Ken Winkler) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan18.031005.2113@cs.mcgill.ca>, monching@cs.mcgill.ca (Patrick WONG) writes:
> We are looking for a good network game for our apple talk network. Any
> suggestions?

Falcon can be played head to head over a network.  Startrek fans might enjoy
Netrek.  Hell, I enjoy Netrek, and I never watch Startrek.  Also, Strategic
Conquest is a pretty good network game, if you have about a year and a half.

							----Ken

* "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood!" ---FR      *     Television      *
* "Get away from me with that spatula, Fred!" ---Mrs. FR *    worth watching   *

jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) (01/23/91)

  On the note of network games, has anyone tried Spaceward Ho! over a network?
It wants access to the server, which I don't have.  Is there anyway to play
it just over Appletalk, like with NetTrek, Falcon and StratCon?

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (01/24/91)

In article <721@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) writes:

>  On the note of network games, has anyone tried Spaceward Ho! over a network?
>It wants access to the server, which I don't have.  Is there anyway to play
>it just over Appletalk, like with NetTrek, Falcon and StratCon?

I haven't tried this, but you might try running SingleShare to provide file
service for Spaceward Ho!.

commons@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU (Peter Commons) (01/25/91)

>>Has anyone tried Spaceward Ho! over a network?
>>It wants access to the server, which I don't have.  Is there anyway to play
>>it just over Appletalk, like with NetTrek, Falcon and StratCon?
>
>I haven't tried this, but you might try running SingleShare to provide file
>service for Spaceward Ho!.

If SingleShare is like Tops, it should work fine: Tops allows computers
on a network to see files on other computers, but without a server. System 7.0,
as was mentioned before, will have this capability built in.