[comp.sys.mac.games] Solarian Hintes

sheppard@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ken Sheppardson) (01/04/91)

dbarnhar@oiscola.UUCP (David C. Barnhart II) writes:
>OK.  I've gotten hold of a copy of Solarian II.  Actually, two copies, versions
>1.02 and 1.03.  Seems like a pretty good game, but there are still too many
>things I don't understand about it.

   Although I'm not the author (and I haven't even played that much lately...
   of course 'that much' is relative, you understand) I can tell you what
   works for me....

>What makes the presents fly away so you can't get them?  How do I prevent this?
>The author seems to imply that I can get EVERY present.  If this is truly so,
>I'd like to know how.  I've watched the behavior, and I still have no clue.

   Once they've been dropped you _CANNOT_ fly underneath them. Stay just behind
   or ahead of (whichever seems appropriate) the present and move into it at the
   last possible second.

   I've yet to figure out how to catch bombs or the 'Crazy Present' that just
   flies around the screen during later rounds. Anyone else have any ideas ?

>What behavior causes the Pentagons and other nasties to drop on you?  It seems
>as if I can USUALLY cause it to happen by lining up with them to shoot them,
>but I can't figure out exactly what makes them come.

   Ditto. The only think I know for sure is the Squiglies/Spermazoids will
   drop if you sit under them. They seem to be the easiest to hit, however,
   as all you need to do is sit in one place and fire.

   Remember that when the Pentagons reach the bottom of the screen, they
   will turn to the side you were on when they started to fall. i.e., if you're
   on the left side of the screen when a Pentagon in the center starts to
   fall you can pass underneath the Pentagon to the right side of the screen
   and the Pentagon will still turn left.

>How on earth do you shoot all the bonus targets on the second type of challenge
>round?  No matter what I try, I never even come close.  If there is a special
>trick to this one, I would appreciate knowing it.

   Here's my routine (I too would like to know if there's a better one) :

   You need to get over to the right side of the screen just a you finish
   the screen preceeding the challenge round so that you'll be at the right
   side when the first row of of circles comes in from the right. Follow
   along to the left until the row from the left comes along, then follow
   along to the right. Each row of blue triangles can be taken out by
   following along as they come in from the sides. Get back to the middle
   for the two rows of bugs coming in from the bottom of the screen.

  (I've never been able to do better than 40 or so out of 44 using this
   technique, however)

   I've yet to figure out the third 'type' of challenge round. Anyone out
   there who has ?

   Those of you who haven't seen it yet are in for a real treat...ack

   Remember...your mileage may vary...

 Ken Sheppardson                                  Email: kcs@sso.larc.nasa.gov
 Space Station Freedom Advanced Programs Office   Phone: (804) 864-7544
 NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton VA         FAX:   (804) 864-1975

cfry@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Chall Fry) (01/05/91)

In article <1991Jan4.130819.22725@engin.umich.edu> sheppard@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ken  Sheppardson) writes:

> I've yet to figure out how to catch bombs or the 'Crazy Present' that just
> flies around the screen during later rounds. Anyone else have any ideas ?

    What, the present that explodes on impact? No, no, no, you don't
understand . . . If you're not catching the bomb presents now, you're on the
right track.

    The 'Crazy Present' which shows up around level 6 can be caught, but
it usually takes several tries. I usually don't attempt catching it until
there's only one enemy left on the screen. If you sit still, you'll notice
that the present moves up and down the screen in a sine wave. (It also
moves side to side; is it following some warped lissajous algorithm?) Just
after it starts going down on its loop, move toward it. The present should
pass over you, and start weaving on your other side. However, if you time
it right, it will swoop low enough for you to catch it as it goes across.
Sometimes I've even been able to do it before my bonus runs to zero.

> I've yet to figure out the third 'type' of challenge round. Anyone out
> there who has ?

    Best I can do is to stay on the right and get all the right hand stuff.
Better than trying for both and ending up with nothing. Plus, you get the
zinger, if you remember.

    Now, boasting and gluttony. 369540, level 13.

    Finally, a question directed to people who *really* know how to play the
game: Is there a level 17, or asked differently, how many levels are there?

--Chall Fry         cfry@jove.cs.pdx.edu
"Wearing a koosh ball makes for a very unusual fashion statement."
                            --The book of Koosh, or some such thing.

andyp@treehouse.UUCP (Andy Peterman) (01/07/91)

In article <CFRY.91Jan5032233@jove.cs.pdx.edu> cfry@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Chall Fry) writes:
>    Finally, a question directed to people who *really* know how to play the
>game: Is there a level 17, or asked differently, how many levels are there?

Level 17 is the final level.  If you finish that, you get a treat.

--
Andy Peterman                       |   Opinions expressed
treehouse!andyp@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com  | are definitely those of

gford@nunki.usc.edu (Gregory Ford) (01/07/91)

In article <CFRY.91Jan5032233@jove.cs.pdx.edu> cfry@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Chall Fry) writes:

>    Now, boasting and gluttony. 369540, level 13.

Well, I'm at 373560, level 9. (my high)...others?

* Greg Ford				GEnie:    G.FORD3		      *
* University of Southern California	Internet: gford%nunki.usc.edu@usc.edu *

sheppard@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ken Sheppardson) (01/07/91)

cfry@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Chall Fry) writes:

>sheppard@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ken  Sheppardson) writes:
>
>> I've yet to figure out how to catch bombs or the 'Crazy Present' that just
>> flies around the screen during later rounds. Anyone else have any ideas ?
>
>    What, the present that explodes on impact? No, no, no, you don't
>understand . . . If you're not catching the bomb presents now, you're on the
>right track.

   As a matter of fact, I do understand.

   I was under the impression, however, that all presents could be caught.
   I just haven't spent the time to figure out if there's a way to catch
   the presents that explode on impact, a.k.a 'bombs'.

>> I've yet to figure out the third 'type' of challenge round. Anyone out
>> there who has ?
>
>    Best I can do is to stay on the right and get all the right hand stuff.
>Better than trying for both and ending up with nothing. Plus, you get the
>zinger, if you remember.

   I've found that I can usually get most of the alternating singles that
   come before the left-to-right 'zinger', but I haven't gotten past that.

   i.e., I've yet to figure out the third 'type' of challege round.
   Anyoune out there who has ?

>    Now, boasting and gluttony. 369540, level 13.
>
>    Finally, a question directed to people who *really* know how to play the
>game: Is there a level 17, or asked differently, how many levels are there?

   It's been a while so I don't remember offhand.

   Boasting, eh ? '*really* know how to play' ?

   Final level, (17), significantly more than 370000.

   ...Please forgive me if I sound a little testy...Monday...ack

 Ken Sheppardson                                  Email: kcs@sso.larc.nasa.gov
 Space Station Freedom Advanced Programs Office   Phone: (804) 864-7544
 NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton VA         FAX:   (804) 864-1975

jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) (01/08/91)

   As for your method on the second bonus round - I use the same method you
proposed.  I've gotten 44/44 hits about 1/3 of the time.  I usually miss one
or two of the objects that come from the bottom of the right side.  The method
will work and I've never seen a better one.

   I have ideas on the third bonus, but I've never had the timing to get them
all.  My best effort missed three.  I'll post if it ever works.

Jon Pace
Carnegie Mellon University
GSIA

jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) (01/08/91)

   I noticed Chall Fry's high score posting of 300,000+ on level thirteen.  I'm
wondering what kind of high scored there really are out there.  My personal
best is:

      505,050 points, level 15

syzy@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Don Lee) (01/08/91)

rdominy@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov (Robert Dominy) (01/30/91)

(Jonathan Pace) writes:
>    I noticed Chall Fry's high score posting of 300,000+ on level
thirteen.  I'm
> wondering what kind of high scored there really are out there.  My
personal

I have seen the LIPS, best score:

    799,730 points, level 16

-------------------------------
Robert Dominy
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

sburke@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Scott Burke) (01/30/91)

Make it 900,000 +, having seen the LIPS.

At which point I FAILED MISERABLY!!!  And haven't played since, because my
IIsi pukes on the game.

Scott.

n074ez@tamuts.tamu.edu (Joe Bezdek) (01/31/91)

My personal best is roughly 478,000 on level 14.  Usually, if I try to
conserve all of my missles and scissors to that point, I've lost too many
men to break through.

Joe

hairston@henry.ECE.CMU.EDU (David Hairston) (01/31/91)

[sburke@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Scott Burke) writes:]
[] Make it 900,000 +, having seen the LIPS.
[]
[] At which point I FAILED MISERABLY!!!  And haven't played since, because my
[] IIsi pukes on the game.

yeah, i've seen the lips once also.  850k+ .  the lips weren't the
problem (its those landmine thingies).  i've only been to level 16
3 times.  i have a score on level 14 with over 750k+ so muti-million
scores appear to be possible.  i doubt i'll make it though ... ;)

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu