[comp.sys.mac.games] Recomendations for a Game

hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) (02/04/91)

[aasg7935@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Anton A Sanderfoot) writes:]
[] ...
[] I guess I'd like something of a fantasy game. I played most of the
[] "Ultima" series when I had my //c, and enjoied them. I also played a game
[] on a Commodore system called (something like) "D&D Forgotten Realms". It
[] was an interesting game, and I'm wondering if there is something similar
[] for the  mac. Wizardry seems to get talked about alot on this group, but I
[] never got into the complexities of the game when I tried it on the //c,
[] perhaps its better now.

i'm biased but there's a very good _freeware_ fantasy role-playing game
called nethack which you can get via anonymous ftp.  i happen to know
that version 3.0 patchlevel 10 (the final 3.0 patch) will be announced
on comp.sources.games and rec.games.hack this week.  look for it!

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu

kwinkler@pbs.org (Ken Winkler) (02/05/91)

In article <1991Feb3.233015.28322@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, aasg7935@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Anton A Sanderfoot) writes:

> 	I'm hoping someone out here can help me out, and I'm sure everyone has
> an opinion. I'm looking for a good game to play on the mac. The games I have
> now are good for a few minutes (Tetris, etc.), but I'm looking for something
> more. I guess I'd like something of a fantasy game. I played most of the
> "Ultima" series when I had my //c, and enjoied them. I also played a game on
> a Commodore system called (something like) "D&D Forgotten Realms". It was an
> interesting game, and I'm wondering if there is something similar for the
> mac. Wizardry seems to get talked about alot on this group, but I never got
> into the complexities of the game when I tried it on the //c, perhaps its
> better now.

My personal favorite fantasy game for the Mac is Quarterstaff.  It has
good graphics, including pictures of yourself, those you befriend, and
those you confront.  The area you are covering is large, and therefore
doesn't get old.  My biggest problem with this type of game is that I
tend to get stuck at a point, and get frustrated and quit.  In Q-staff
you can use different routes to get to the same place, and if you are
really stuck, there are some good hints.  There.  That's my $.02.

							----Ken

* "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood!" ---FR      *    Television    *
* "Get away from me with that spatula, Fred!" ---Mrs. FR *  worth watching  *