[comp.sys.mac.games] Falcon 2.2 on the IIci

gt4586c@prism.gatech.EDU (WILLETT,THOMAS CARTER) (02/04/91)

In article <13455@lanl.gov>, howie@triton.tamu.edu (MATT_K_HOWARD) writes:
> If I'd actually bought Falcon instead of renting it, I'd be pissed.
> Although the box proudly proclaims that it is compatible with the IIci,
> it isn't exactly.  Yes it launches and you can fly around and wage war,
> but you can't quit without crashing (the Mac not the aircraft).  Also,
> if you are using the onboard video then the menu bar is not blanked out
> and you can't receive messages from base.  I could live without the
> messages but you can't save any of your missions, accumulate points and
> such since you can't quit with out "la bomba".  Very Cheesy.
>
> Matt

Well, I have a IIci (8MB RAM) and I have no trouble with quitting Falcon.
Yes, the menu bar problem is a nuisance, but the only messages you get are
vectors to the airfield which aren't really necessary if your navigation is
working, or even if you have a general idea of where you are and a general
idea of where the landing strip is.  The problem with crashing during
quitting is probably the result of some init or perhaps insufficient RAM.
I don't know for sure, but version 2.2 does work fine for me.

I also have a tip for IIci users - reset the monitor to B&W and then use
the SLOW DOWN option under the OPTION menu.  It makes everything go really
smoothly compared to using full 8 bit color.
--
thomas willett
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta

howie@triton.tamu.edu (MATT_K_HOWARD) (02/05/91)

Earlier, I wrote that I had tried Falcon 2.2 on my IIci with mixed
results.  It ran, but because I was using the onboard video driver,
the menu bar doesn't blank and messages from base were not visible.
This is not a problem because the messages are more ornamental than
informative.  However, I found that I could not quit without a crash
(the mac not the aircraft) and thus was unable to save experience or
achievements.

I recieved a nice reply from Adrian (thanks Adrian) suggesting that I
remove all inits and run under Finder only.  This didn't help but I was
encourage by Adrian's expressed success with Falcon 2.2 and the IIci so
I continued to look for a solution.  I have a 105 mb Quantum which is
partitioned into four 25 mb drives using SilverLining.  I discovered that
if I (1) removed all the inits and (2) ran Falcon from the same partition
containing the system that I could quit without a system crash.

Picky-Picky-Picky.

I wish that Falcon wasn't so particular about the machine settings.
Its been more than a year since it was updated, (but thats a hell
of a lot more recent than MicroSoft has updated theirs.)  And as long
as I'm complaining about a $30 piece of software... How about color...
and little Iraqi tanks to shoot at...