[comp.sys.mac.games] Armor Alley query

ullevig@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Ullevig Zachary A) (01/30/91)

In article <3143@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
>I'm surprised that there's been so little talk about Armor Alley of late...I'm
>really impressed with it.
>
>For those that have played it, though, I have a tactical question.
>
>On level five, there is a large bunker very close to the player's lines,
>behind which are two AA guns.  I can't get past these guns.  Any ideas?

I fly past the bunker dodging the AA guns.  I then approach them from behind
at low level and destroy them with my missiles.  It takes 2 missiles to destroy
one, so it takes two trips.  You also have to be careful that the computer
doesn't get a chance to repair them while your convoy approaches.

|        Zach Ullevig        |          "I like maxims that don't            |
|   University of Colorado   |       encourage behavior modification."       |
| ullevig@tramp.colorado.edu |                                --Calvin       |
|____________________________________________________________________________|

ylsul@athena.mit.edu (Young Sul) (01/30/91)

In article <3143@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
>I'm surprised that there's been so little talk about Armor Alley of late...I'm
>really impressed with it.
>
>For those that have played it, though, I have a tactical question.
>
>On level five, there is a large bunker very close to the player's lines,
>behind which are two AA guns.  I can't get past these guns.  Any ideas?

I just got by that bunker last night! I believe it is inhabited initially
by the enemy, and, since it is a super-bunker, you can't destroy it. The
AA is a drag too. I got by it by first dropping paratroopers on top of the
bunker (getting a little hurt by the AA) -- you want to drop them before
the door so they don't have to battle anyone, and they don't keep on walking
to the front (I usually drop 2 waves just to be safe). At the same time,
I send some engineers to deal with the AA. All this has to be done fairly
quickly, 'cause the computer has a column that is pretty near to your side.
Its great when you have the bunker and the 2 AA guns -- the enemy can't but
be hurt when he flies by....

				Young Sul
				MIT, Project Athena

benser@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Earl Benser) (01/30/91)

Two missiles into a AA gun will knock it out. Either destroy the bunker and
then the AA guns or fly by the guns and attack from the rear (a little
risky since they usually shoot the *$%&*# out of you). Bombing the guns us
what the computer choppers do but I usually get shot up bad trying to do
this.

Anyone used Armor Alley over the modem. We're having trouble. Three Sixty
indicates that this function is not supported. What gives???

      Earl T. Benser        *                            *
Systems and Research Center *  benser@src.honeywell.com  *
      Honeywell Inc.        *                            *
   Minneapolis, MN 55418    *                            *

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.161711.26087@csn.org> ullevig@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Ullevig Zachary A) writes:
|In article <3143@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
|>On level five, there is a large bunker very close to the player's lines,
|>behind which are two AA guns.  I can't get past these guns.  Any ideas?
|
|I fly past the bunker dodging the AA guns.  I then approach them from behind
|at low level and destroy them with my missiles.  It takes 2 missiles to destroy
|one, so it takes two trips.  You also have to be careful that the computer
|doesn't get a chance to repair them while your convoy approaches.

OK, this is really wierd.  This is the second suggestion I've recieved to do
this.  As this is my usual anti-AA tactic [fly in low and loose 2 missiles] it
was of course the first thing I tried.  If I fire two missiles from the left,
they of course impact on the bunker itself.  If I fly over them, set down on
the right of the guns, and fire, the missiles will never take out either gun.
They will:
	1. Fail to acquire the guns and hit the bunker.
or
	2. each acquire a separate gun, which destroys neither.  No matter
	   how fast I rearm and return, they are repaired when I get back.

I've discovered a working tactic, however.  If you load up with paratroopers
and drop them right over the guns, they will stand a good chance of destroying
the guns [or at least one of them].

While I'm jabbering about this game, I'm peeved that the computer can totally
capture my funds, but I can't do the same to its funds.

chaz

--
Someone please release me from this trance.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone

In article <1991Jan29.190747.4860@src.honeywell.com> benser@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Earl Benser) writes:

>Two missiles into a AA gun will knock it out. Either destroy the bunker and
>then the AA guns or fly by the guns and attack from the rear (a little
>risky since they usually shoot the *$%&*# out of you).

Not if you do it right.  Fly in low from behind.  I mean very low.  You
should only be a pixel or two above the ground.  Make you approach slow
until you get the hang of it.  Once the AA guns are just barely on the
screen, you will be able to shoot them and they won't shoot back.  It is
easy to get too close if you aren't careful.  You might also try the
other methods suggested in other posts.  I have been able to use them, but
for some reason I prefer this one.

-Zach

ullevig@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Ullevig Zachary A) (01/30/91)

>OK, this is really wierd.  This is the second suggestion I've recieved to do
>this.  As this is my usual anti-AA tactic [fly in low and loose 2 missiles] it
>was of course the first thing I tried.  If I fire two missiles from the left,
>they of course impact on the bunker itself.  If I fly over them, set down on
>the right of the guns, and fire, the missiles will never take out either gun.
>They will:
>	1. Fail to acquire the guns and hit the bunker.
>or
>	2. each acquire a separate gun, which destroys neither.  No matter
>	   how fast I rearm and return, they are repaired when I get back.

I don't know what you are doing wrong.  I have had had both of your results
happen, but most of the time both missiles hit the same gun and destroy it.

>I've discovered a working tactic, however.  If you load up with paratroopers
>and drop them right over the guns, they will stand a good chance of destroying
>the guns [or at least one of them].

This works too.  For those who haven't tried it yet: be carefull how you fly
while you drop the paratroopers.  It is possible to cause the AA guns to
kill the paratroopers while they are trying to hit your helecopter.

bdugan@teri.bio.uci.edu (Bill Dugan) writes:

>In article <3143@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
>>I'm surprised that there's been so little talk about Armor Alley of late...I'm
>>really impressed with it.

>Does anybody remember the great game on the old Apple II, RESCUE RAIDERS?
>I saw Armor Alley the other day and it looks like a copy.  In fact, it
>looks like a ripoff.  Same layout of the game, same pieces that move
>across the field, everything with the same function.  Who makes Armor
>Alley?  Is it really slower than Rescue Raiders, or were my eyes deceiving me?

>bill

I played Rescue Raiders up the butt one summer.  I remember it well.
I believe Armor Alley is a mac port of the game, I'm not sure that it is
the same company, but after 5+ years, what computer company is still the
same?  In any case, I don't believe that anyone would plagiarize a game
so baldly as to invite a massive suit.

Now on to the game itself:  Comparing Armor Alley and Rescue Raiders, there
is one major difference in terms of game play.  The computer is far far
smarter in Armor Alley.  It even DODGES missiles!  Amazing!  And it
takes out your convoys intelligently.  But I felt Rescue Raiders was much
more entertaining--though you can shove AA up to max speed and really whiz,
RR was fast enough.  I don't like the AA lesser bunkers, as it can be really
hard to tell whose they are (in RR they change color).  I mean, c'mon, if
you've got an army, what do they do mostly?  PAINT. :)
And of course, I dislike the imprecision of the mouse control...I suppose
if I practice enough I'll be able to be just as good, but I'll never be
able to dodge 10 missiles at once like I used to with my Hayes III joystick.
I don't like shooting at something and not noticing (in AA) that I'm creeping
up slowly on it.

To sum up:  despite the frills such as sound and improved color of Armor
Alley, I still prefer Rescue Raiders any day.  You get REAL napalm on
level 6 of RR :)  (Actually, I haven't seen if you get genuine 4-inch napalm
tracks on AA yet, haven't gotten up that high.)

But that's not to say I don't enjoy Armor Alley.  It's still Rescue Raiders
after all.

just another game nerd,
julius
julius@tybalt.caltech.edu

jhex_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jeff "Ashton" Hexter) (01/31/91)

I bought Armor Alley a few weeks ago (my copy is version 1.0.1 - anybody
got a later version... I've still got a really irritating bug - my
preferences file gets clobbered every time I save, and though I hate
having to disable every init (and multifinder) this game is worth it!)  I
was wondering - everyone who's played Rescue Raiders (it's by Sir Tech,
the people who made and still make Wizardry) may know about the hidden
features brought on by typing "ZIPPY" (I think):  <Return> made you
bullet proof, <J> brought you back to the left side of the main radar
screen, <K> brought you to the middle, and <L> brought you to the right.
Also, <-> (any number from 1 through 9) put you on that level of the game.
	Does anyone know any features like this for Armor Alley????

Jeff

--
What is Cognitive Science?  A better      | Mcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmc
question is what ISN'T Cognitive Science! | mcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmc...

ullevig@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Ullevig Zachary A) (02/05/91)

In article <26665@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> dth@shark.cis.ufl.edu (David Hightower) writes:
>If is is the same, are the missions identical? for RR, the whole
>scenario takes place in Europe (mostly France), and you have
>to "liberate" such places as Cherbourg.

The game is almost exactly the same, but you don't have the missions like
in RR.  The battles are, for the most part, the same as the RR battles, but
you don't have the screen saying where you are and what your mission is.