[comp.sys.mac.games] Art of War games

shrike@cup.portal.com (Arthur P Bebak) (02/06/91)

I just got my spiffy new Si, and naturally, two
of my favorite games, Ancient Art of War and
Ancient Art of War at Sea don't work on it. However,
being the perverse type I had to try and run them.
While trying I noted that the major problem seems to
be that they assume that they have a 9" screen. All
the graphics are munged, even though the menus seem
to work.

So, the question to netland is, does anyone know
of any hack which could make these games work?
Perhaps a screen size limiter init or something?
Failing that anybody have any info on Borland's
plans for these two great games? Will they be
made compatible with Mac II architecture? (One can only
hope, even if vainly..)

I think that game incompatibilities are my
only regret in moving to the Si....

Arthur
shrike@cup.portal.com
azb80@quts.ccc.amdahl.com

kap1@phyllis.math.binghamton.edu (Dietrich Kappe) (02/11/91)

In Article 2772 of comp.sys.mac.games shrike@cup.portal.com (Arthur P Bebak)
writes:

>I just got my spiffy new Si, and naturally, two
>of my favorite games, Ancient Art of War and
>Ancient Art of War at Sea don't work on it. However,

Do your versions have an upper limit on the number of armies? As long as there
are fortresses and you can split your armies before the computer, you
can get the upper hand and win. Too bad, since otherwise these are well
thought out games. (Although what they have to do with Sun Tzu's classic
I'll never know.)

>being the perverse type I had to try and run them.
>While trying I noted that the major problem seems to
>be that they assume that they have a 9" screen. All
>the graphics are munged, even though the menus seem
>to work.

Broederbund used to be a big C64 company. I suspect they just transfered all
their C64 programmers over to the MAC section.  In programming the C64 you
have complete control over the machine, and a little of that has slipped
over into their Mac games. Its not quite as bad as some ports, like Chess
Master 2100 or Crystal Quest, but it does use the "Big Long Window" technique
(not recomended). I suggest trying to run it under the finder alone (if
you haven't already tried that.) If, as I suspect, AAofW accesses the screen
directly, you're out of luck. Wait for a new version.

>So, the question to netland is, does anyone know
>of any hack which could make these games work?
>Perhaps a screen size limiter init or something?
>Failing that anybody have any info on Borland's
>plans for these two great games? Will they be
>made compatible with Mac II architecture? (One can only
>hope, even if vainly..)

Good luck.

>Arthur
>shrike@cup.portal.com