[comp.sys.mac.games] Strategic Conquest 3.0

commons@Sunburn.Stanford.EDU (Peter Commons) (02/04/91)

>I also have a question, I have looked in the listings from the usual Mac
>places, and I have yet to find a place that carries SC 3.0. Where did you find
>it, or did you go by the upgrade route, a path unavailable to those of us
>without 2.xx?

Strategic Conquest 3.0 is available from MacsPlace, MacConnection (I think),
and directly from the company, Delta Tao Software, (408) 730-9336. It will
be more widely available this summer.

--
Peter Commons
commons@cs.stanford.edu

joes@phoenix.princeton.edu (02/12/91)

   Although I am a big fan of Delta Tao Software, and I like almost all of the
improvements to Strategic Conquest 3.0, I feel that they made a mistake in
eliminating the computer's "double production" at the higher difficulty levels.

 It is true that the new computer opponent algorithim is better. However, it is
not nearly good enough to "out think" an experienced human player, even at
level 15. AS a general case, I feel that In complex games where a computer
opponent has to play by the same rules as the human, the computer *is going to
lose*. SSI games are a fine example of this.

 I don't know why Delta Tao eliminated the doubled (quadrupled, sometimes)
production for the computer. But it makes the game considerably less
challenging and interesting for veteran players.

 Joe Studholme      <joes@idunno.princeton.edu>

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (02/12/91)

In article <6151@idunno.Princeton.EDU> joes@phoenix.princeton.edu writes:

> It is true that the new computer opponent algorithim is better. However, it is
>not nearly good enough to "out think" an experienced human player, even at
>level 15. AS a general case, I feel that In complex games where a computer
>opponent has to play by the same rules as the human, the computer *is going to
>lose*. SSI games are a fine example of this.

It is my understanding that the computer gets a better starting position at the
higher levels, i.e. a starting island with considerably more cities and the
human player starts out with fewer cities.  Are you consistently winning at
level 15?

orpheus@reed.UUCP (P. Hawthorne) (02/12/91)

  joes@phoenix.princeton.edu writes:
. It is true that the new computer opponent algorithim is better. However, it
. is not nearly good enough to "out think" an experienced human player, even
. at level 15. As a general case, I feel that In complex games where a
. computer opponent has to play by the same rules as the human, the computer
. *is going to lose*. SSI games are a fine example of this.

  I have only won on level 15 once, and that was a two week game that ended
  around turn 600, against the old computer opponent. I had two things going
  for me, namely, a working knowledge of the idiosyncracies of the computer
  opponent, and a spreadsheet that explored the economics of the units.
  Of course, nuking everything you possibly can works out pretty well, too.

  Every computer opponent I have ever faced, be it in Strategic Conquest or
  Falcon, is static. An idiosyncracy, once spotted, can be exploited over and
  over and over again without worrying that he's going to catch on. So if a
  human player learns enough about the opponent logic, he has only to contend
  with the economics of the game, the way I figure it.

  Mind you, at level 15, you are usually glowing cinders before you get a
  chance to worry about much in the way of economics. But if you get a chance
  at all, taking out two utterly predictable birds with one stone is easy.

  Short of dynamic opponent logic, stacking the deck against the human
  player is probably the best way for a game to make itself challenging.

  orpheus@reed
  No sig is a good sig.

saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lennart Saaf) (02/12/91)

	Does anyone know the difference among the levels? The manual
is silent on this matter (unless I missed something). Does it get more
cities or is it smarter or both? I am new to the game--I just got
killed at level 4 last night.
| Len Saaf, The Institute of Optics, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester, NY |
| Internet: saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu        Bitnet: SAAF@UOROPT |