[comp.sys.mac.games] Diamonds_Answer

odreer@iiic.ethz.ch (Oliver Dreer) (02/09/91)

As the auther of Diamonds I want to say something about your comments.
(Please keep on writing comments, I love feedback - so I can improve
the game!)

In the next version I will inlcude :
  - no start over when hitting a 'death' brick
  - add keys to pratice screen
  - change the first few levels (So you won't get much points by repeating
  	level two)
  - fix a few bugs (sound on older system / graphics on si/ci)

I will not :
  - make a light blue brush (that's part of the strategy)
  - change the behaviour of the death-brick
  - add more sound/graphic because of all these 2400-Modem Users

That's what you caused by sending me mail and/or writing to this news-group.
If you have even more ideas write them down.
The next version will be finished in March or April (because of my
holidays in March,April - I'm student at the ETH Zurich).
I don't know if I will include new bricks. (perhaps someone has some
good ideas?)

Oliver Dreer
odreer@iiic.ethz.ch

hairston@henry.ECE.CMU.EDU (David Hairston) (02/10/91)

[odreer@iiic.ethz.ch () writes:]
[] As the auther of Diamonds I want to say something about your comments.
[] ...
[] If you have even more ideas write them down.

This will really raise the level of shareware!  Solarian II had set a
standard that seemed unreachable by others (charging exorbitant prices ;).
With the planned fixes, Diamonds is right in the Solarian class, IMO.

enough drivel ...

how about a "life brick" (white cross, naturally).  this would be placed
strategically and when struck would disappear.  there would somehow be
an indication that you have "death resistance" (perhaps a small white
cross in the middle of the ball).  "death resistance" should allow you
to touch one death brick without dying but you would then lose your
death resistance.  perhaps, you would also lose the points you
accumulated on that level when you lose your death resistance.

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu

sburke@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Scott Burke) (02/10/91)

No no no.  Make the life brick a free life.  Leave death bricks alone.

Add a Speed brick that increases the speed of the ball for a certain period
of time, or until a Slow brick is touched.  The Slow brick (naturally) would
slow you down, but bricks should be worth more points at Speed and fewer
points at Slow.

If you're going to take away the start-over feature (which I like), then
just make sure that it is possible to solve all levels without some of the
light-blue bricks, or whatever.  Seems to me there are cases where you're
hosed if some of the blocks are missing, and it would be preferable to have
the level start over completely.

MAKE NEW LEVELS.  MORE MORE MORE.  The 2400 baud downloader doesn't have to
grab all the new levels (could you make it a separate file?)  but we need
NEW NEW NEW NEW LEVELS.

Scott.
sburke@jarthur.claremont.edu

prosser@cougar.cs.wisc.edu (Ed Prosser) (02/10/91)

In article <10736@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> sburke@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Scott Burke) writes:  (about the excellent game, "Diamonds")

>MAKE NEW LEVELS.  MORE MORE MORE.  The 2400 baud downloader doesn't have to
>grab all the new levels (could you make it a separate file?)  but we need
>NEW NEW NEW NEW LEVELS.

The title screen to Diamonds says that if we register, the author will send us
a level editor.  It seems like it's up to us to send in the $$$, work up some
awesome levels, and make them available.

One problem with many shareware games is that they don't hold the player's
interest for very long.  As Oliver Dreer (Diamonds author) implements many of
the good suggestions that people have put forth, and given the existing
capability to edit our own levels, Diamonds is going to be a great game with
long-lasting value.  Keep it up, Oliver!

	-- Ed Prosser
	   prosser@cs.wisc.edu

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (02/14/91)

In article <24220@neptune.inf.ethz.ch> odreer@iiic.ethz.ch (Oliver Dreer) writes:

>   In the next version I will inlcude :
>     - no start over when hitting a 'death' brick

Hmm. In level 3 I find it very difficult, or perhaps impossible to
hit the lock with a gold ball once all of the red bricks are gone.

If you restart the game without restoring all of the bricks, you will
not be able to go to the next level. I think.

There are two choices:

1. 	If you restore the bricks, you can get higher scores, and are
assured you can complete any screen.

2. 	If you do *not* restore the bricks, the scores won't be as
high, bonuses for fast times are meaningless, and you might not be
able to complete a screen. It seems like you are making more progress, but
you score less.

Conclusion: I do not think restoring bricks is a good idea.

Some other suggestions -

	The scores should be higher for the higher levels. You should
not be able to get a high score by repeating the same levels over and over.
Also - the scoreboard should inticate the level and points.

	The bonus for time should be varied depending on the
difficulty of each screen. I have developed a few techniques that can
reduce the time at certain levels. This should be rewarded, as this is
where the real skill comes in.  Perhaps bonus points could give you a
free ball. In any respect, it should be possible to get a bonus for
each screen, once you have mastered it.

--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett