[comp.sys.mac.games] Harpoon--to buy, or not to buy

kwinkler@pbs.org (Ken Winkler) (02/20/91)

I've been reading alot about the game Harpoon on this group.  I was even
looking at it in the store the other day.  Yes, I am right on the cutting
edge of making that big step toward actually purchasing it, but I have
a couple questions before I blow my hard-earned dough.

Is it worth it?
Is it complex?
Can you win?
How easy is it to match computer playing level with your own?
How long does a game take?
Is it the kind of game that gets old, or will I be glad I have it in two years?
What's the best thing about it?
The worst?
Anything else you'd like to tell me?

Thanks in advance!

							----Ken

* "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood!" ---FR      *    Television    *
* "Get away from me with that spatula, Fred!" ---Mrs. FR *  worth watching  *

jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb19.135041.11763@pbs.org> kwinkler@pbs.org (Ken Winkler) writes:
>I've been reading alot about the game Harpoon on this group.  I was even
>looking at it in the store the other day.  Yes, I am right on the cutting
>edge of making that big step toward actually purchasing it, but I have
>a couple questions before I blow my hard-earned dough.
>
>Is it worth it?
  Yes.  I beleive so.

>Is it complex?
  It can be, but there are also very simple scenarios.

>Can you win?
  Nearly 90% of the time.

>How easy is it to match computer playing level with your own?
  It took me about 6 games to get used to the computer's methods and to
figure out what weapons to use and how to use them.  Now it's stomping
time all the time.  (Almost)

>How long does a game take?
  Some are 1 hour long, others take more than 6.

>Is it the kind of game that gets old, or will I be glad I have it in two years?
  I kinda lost interest when I got Spaceward Ho!, but the new NACV module
brought me back.  I like to play each game until I win, keep playing
until I do my best.

>What's the best thing about it?
  Sinking captilist carriers!!  The thrill of victory.  Making the US Navy
look bad.

>The worst?
  The occasional crash, and in complex scenarios, the time.  I have a IIsi,
and it can get slow.  Some of the bigger battles are a definite Plus Nono,
but I did play almost all of the scenarios on my Plus, slowly, but
successfully.