[comp.sys.mac.games] Wizardry II: Knight of Diamonds -- questions

francis@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (RD Francis) (02/20/91)

I'm working on Wizardry II: KOD, and have a few questions for others who are
playing/have played the game.

I'm currently working my way through level 2; if you're not very far along
there, there might be spoliers; I'll try not to make them too obvious, but I
may fail.

1)  I think I saw a message asking if there was a shortcut to getting to the
stairs on level one; I've never gotten there except by using the teleport
spell.  Is there another way?  If so, can you send me hints as to how to do
it (preferably not outright spoilers...).

2)  I have the red crystal.  I tried equipping it, but nothing seemed to
happen.
	a)  Should I equip with it, and if so, what type of person would get
the most benefit from it?
	b)  If I shouldn't equip it, what is it good for?  I assume it
relates to the rather cryptic message about the rainbow....

3)  I paid for my info.  The message seemed to indicate that certain spells
would be more effective.  Which ones?  (looks like katino, manifo, and
mantino, but I'm not sure).

I'm sure I'll think of more later, but that's all I can think of now.  Again,
if you can give me hints without ruining the game for me, great.  Message 3,
in particular, I view as spoiler-proof; a straightforward answer is fine
there.
--
R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (02/20/91)

In article <CMM.0.88.666979468.francis@wolfman.cis.ohio-state.edu> francis@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (RD Francis) writes:
>I'm working on Wizardry II: KOD, and have a few questions for others who are
>playing/have played the game.

I just finished the game a couple days ago.  It was shorter and easier than
I thought it would be.  Most of your questions are spoiler-proof so I'll
just answer them here.

>1)  I think I saw a message asking if there was a shortcut to getting to the
>stairs on level one; I've never gotten there except by using the teleport
>spell.  Is there another way?  If so, can you send me hints as to how to do
>it (preferably not outright spoilers...).

No, you always have to teleport to get to those particular stairs unless
you later bypass the entire level altogether.

>2)  I have the red crystal.  I tried equipping it, but nothing seemed to
>happen.
>	a)  Should I equip with it, and if so, what type of person would get
>the most benefit from it?

It's not who to equip it with...  Try the other w's.  The crystals disappear
after you invoke the power but you can always get more to play with.

>	b)  If I shouldn't equip it, what is it good for?  I assume it
>relates to the rather cryptic message about the rainbow....

The crystals help you not just in one way but two.  The second way you don't
need to equip it to use it.  Examine them carefully.

>3)  I paid for my info.  The message seemed to indicate that certain spells
>would be more effective.  Which ones?  (looks like katino, manifo, and
>mantino, but I'm not sure).

You are correct.

Anybody find any interesting items?  Stuff that is not in Proving Grounds and
that shows up at the end of the shop's list (past Ring Pro Fire)?  BTW, the
item names in KOD are very interesting because they tell you more about what
the item actualy does.  I still kind of like the old names too because they
just sounded nice.

+++
Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 215 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616

In article <8404@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) writes:
>In article <CMM.0.88.666979468.francis@wolfman.cis.ohio-state.edu> francis@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (RD Francis) writes:
>
>>	b)  If I shouldn't equip it, what is it good for?  I assume it
>>relates to the rather cryptic message about the rainbow....
>
>The crystals help you not just in one way but two.  The second way you don't
>need to equip it to use it.  Examine them carefully.

Sorry, I was mistaken here.  I thought the crystals could cast spells.
I was thinking of something else...

+++
Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 215 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616

mdichter@hstbme.mit.edu (Mark Dichter, MD) (02/20/91)

If any one wants, I have compiled a list of all the items that can be
obtained from KOD (and their hex codes if you want to cheat and modify
your characters.) If I get time, maybe I'll make an editor like WizMaker
or WizEd.